I need a new pair of REAL speakers...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Wellllllll.....

I got my "refoaming kit" for my Boston Accoustic A150 speakers in the mail two days ago. Yesterday I was real nervouse about cutting into my beloved 21 year-old speakers (not 28 -- when I took the woofer out, it had a tag Feb 1987 -- I guess my 28 year-old speakers are the Merantz floor speakers I have on shelves on the back wall for rear surround).

When I finally let it sink into my head, "what am I going to do, break them?" I was much more confident about tearing out what was left of the surround foam and, with a razor blade, shaving off anything that was left stuck on. I'll tell ya...it wasn't much! The stuff was being held on with good wishes and static cling for the most part! No wonder the bass sounded like crap!

So I carefully installed the new foam with the glue included in the kit and let it cure for 24 hours. Tonight I re-installed the drivers in the A150 box and gave it the "Matrix" test. The portion where Trinity and Neo go up to save what's-his-face Fishburn and shoot up the lobby and the fighting scene in the training Dojo have some bass riffs that will rattle your teeth!

WOW! Like new speakers! The tone is mellow and at the same time has enough punch to let you feel the bass. It doens't have the exact same sound as they did before the foam bit the dust, but it is very much acceptable. And $30 sure beats $700! :)

Thanks again for the suggestion on the refoam kit. Fabulous!

I need to take my Speakers out for a drink!

Tony

I was in a similar situation as yours and took the advice of a relative that is in the pro audio / recording studio business. Pick up a pair of passive near field monitors (aka speakers) from Dynaudio (BM5), Adam (ANF10), or budget Alesis (Monitor One MKII) and mate it with a quality sub. You will not be disappointed. If you mainly sit in the same place when listening, set them up as recommended in the manual from which ever you buy, basically a one meter triangle. I enjoy this setup. good luck.

ROFL! WHAT DID YOU SAY???? I CAN'T HEAR YOU OVER THE FREAKING LOUD SPEAKERS!!!!

Those old enough to be around when "Shine On You Crazy Diamond" by Pink Floyd first came out will remember that short moment of panic that washed over you when got to a certain point in the album...

You had just fliped the albun to the B side and were listening to "Have a Cigar" as loud as your stereo would go! The song was really going and you were so into it! Some of you may have been in a slightly altered state.

Then WHHOOOOIIIIIISSHHHH!!!!

NO BASS!

All Nothing but high end tweeter!

OH Mother F.... I just blew up my speakers! You got up in a panic just as "Wish You Were Here" came on. By the time you reached your speakers in a total panic, the guitar accompanying the "guitar on the radio" comes in at full dynamic range! A feeling of relief and an unnatural peace flooded you as you leaned back on your bean-bag chair and listened to the rest of the album!

See ya
Tony

Thanks for the flashback:D The only thing you forgot was the blacklight and a parachute tacked to the dorm ceilings and walls. Damn, what good times we had.........shine on...................

Thanks for the flashback:D The only thing you forgot was the blacklight and a parachute tacked to the dorm ceilings and walls. Damn, what good times we had.........shine on...................

Oh, and if you get tired of refoaming and you want snag some new boston towers, One C_ll is clearing out the VR3's.
:DI don't think you will be disappointed

Sub sounds good, but.. something is rotten in denmark as my Denon is shutting off and I really haven't cranked it that much :(
Have you disconnected and reconnected your speakers for some reason lately? Double check your speaker connections, on both ends. One little strand of speaker wire, touching the wrong place, is usually the culprit of causing a receiver to shut down like that.
Good luck!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)