I need a replacement receiver - ideas?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

iafirebuff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 10, 2006
Waterloo, Iowa
OK, I did this months ago, but I am wondering, currently, what receiver should I get? I want a good/fast blind scan, motor capable, and something that is decent. I like the Coolsat 5000, and a Traxis (can't remember, might be the 3500?). ANy ideas? THANKS!

the traxis is the cheaper at around 70
but its has a problem with ac3 and everyone is waiting for a fix

at least thats what i've been told

only problem i had with my coolsat was one of the remotes acted funny , wouldn't work 1/2 the time. i took the remote apart and adjusted the sensor and its working great. liked it so much i bought a second one .

Larry,

I would recommend a Traxis 3500 I really like mine, I would like to get may hands on a Traxis 4550. I'm still using the Neusat SP6000 as my main one though.

The Fortec Mercury II also has some points in its favor - see the review in the review Forum (It has a nice feature that allows you to save your channel list to memory, prior to either scanning or resetting, so that you can restore it later.)

IIRC I did not get a Traxis 3500, because it does not have S-Video or Component Output (that may not be a factor for you).

I'm still waiting for someone who has used both the Mercury and the Coolsat 5000 to compare them...

The Traxis DBS-3500 DOES have S-video output. The first production units late in the Spring of 2006 did not have an S-video jack, but receivers sold after last June should be S-video equipped.

One feature that we offer is downloading of a customized channel and satellite memory, kept current by one of our active systems. Unless you want to spend a lot of time doing this manually, make sure that your receiver supplier can offer this service.

One feature that we offer is downloading of a customized channel and satellite memory, kept current by one of our active systems. Unless you want to spend a lot of time doing this manually, make sure that your receiver supplier can offer this service.

Thats a nice service especially if you are setting up for the first time.

OK, I did this months ago, but I am wondering, currently, what receiver should I get? I want a good/fast blind scan, motor capable, and something that is decent. I like the Coolsat 5000, and a Traxis (can't remember, might be the 3500?). ANy ideas? THANKS!

I like my Mercury II, it's quite possibly the best FTA Reciever I've ever used!

Coolsat 5000 is good. The only problem I've found with it (and believe me, I seem to find them) is that some data transponders will show up as radio channels.

The MercII is also very good. Both of the aforementioned receivers do a good job with the blind scan.

The traxis 3500, in my opinion, has a better blind scan the the MercII or the CS5K. However, it seems that it can't do AC3 passthru on Ku, which means forget about watching PBS on AMC3.

It would appear that DMSI is discontinuing the Traxis DBS 4500 and DBS 4550 as they are no longer listed on their product website. :(
I too am hoping for an AC-3 audio fix for the DBS3500.. I would like to press it into service.
The DBS4500 which I mainly use now passes AC-3 just fine.

:D The Fortec Mercury II is an excellent receiver and does the job fine. It's got most of the features you need. Fortec is a sponsor of this forum and by buying a Fortec product you are indeed supporting this forum :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)