I need expertise

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjmattason

Original poster
Feb 20, 2006
Brighton, IA
Hi,

I concider myself fairly technical but my focus went to computer networking in college and now I find that setting up satellite systems and home theatres beyond the included cables to be too much for me.

I am planning on installing an antenna tower outside my house along the back of a garage for HDTV over-air reception. while out there I would like to install my future satellite dishes (currently suspended DTV service to afford this upgrade from SD to HDTV satellite). The run into the house will at least be 100' maybe 150' including height of tower.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~phone3196944600/
http://www.iowatelecom.net/~phone3196944600/

I would like to use home runs from the dishes and ant so that any multiswitches can be located in the closet. All cables come into the house through the closet but will go to a media A/V cabinet/entertainment center in the living room. Here all of the components (dvd, satellite receivers, stereo) will live. Then the signals from these components will go back to the closet to be distributed to the rooms.

Can sat dual RG6 cables and HDTV ant RG6 run 150'?
I read that the Directv hdtv dish requires 3 coxials alone. Making the total = 6. (3) hd sat (2) locals sat (1) ant. Or should I just keep the ugly dishes on the house?
Where would you recommend I place the switches (planning for adding more receivers in the future is why I want to put it in the av closet).

My tv is an hdtv monitor not tuner so I plan to purchase a hdtv sat receiver that can also do the tuning for the ant. Between the tv and the receiver, i would like to use DVI-D but the distance is about 30' (receiver in media cabinet - tv in parlor).
Has anyone run DVI-D that distance?

Does anyone know of a directv receiver like the current dish network pvr that has an extra tuner for a second tv all in one box?

Know of great resources besides this site (or other forums within) that might help me. Over the distances, I have been looking into UTP bulans (make it more like a network for me:) but I don't want to spend the extra money, have another device to fail, and lose possible signals strengths.

If anyone can shed some light, I would appreciate it.
It is hard to find max specs on cable runs for DVI and satellite cables.

RJ

150' of RG6 is doable, but that's pushing it. you will definately need a signal amplifier for that OTA antenna. You will definately need a powered multiswitch for the dishes. If you can I would recommend running Quad RG6 if you can. If the run from the tower to the house is going to be far you may even want to consider running RG-11. RG-11 being quite expensive. Best thing to do is just mount the dishes on your house or on a pole near the house and that was you can keep the RG6 for those and maybe go RG-11 for your OTA antenna.

Also, the AT9 requires four coaxials out of it in to the wideband 6x8 multi-switch. Multi-switch should be mounted on the house or as close to the house as possible.

RG-11 is for runs over 250 feet only. Though RG-7 may be a good idea, but harder to find. I agree that Quad sheild is overkill and everything about that cable is way over priced, you would need special fittings and such.

Eric Goempel said:
RG-11 is for runs over 250 feet only. Though RG-7 may be a good idea, but harder to find. I agree that Quad sheild is overkill and everything about that cable is way over priced, you would need special fittings and such.

The reason i said RG-11 is because it is difficult to find RG-7. I agree that RG-7 would be better for a long run like that. Solid copper center conductor would help as well, less resistance.

I noticed while surfing that RG11 seems to have lower attenuation than does RG6. If I understand things correctly would better be suited for a 150' run. By running a total of 7 RG11's (4) for HDTV DirecTV dish + (2) for my local satellite channels + (1) for my Antenna (HDTV and SD + FM), I will receive the lest amount of problems at that distance? If so, wow that is a lot of cable. I may want to think twice. I do plan on using conduit for upgrade purposes. I will install grounding blocks before the cables enter the conduit from the tower and another where the conduit enters the house. I am still hoping that I can place the multiswitch inside the wiring closet for access. I currently have a 4x4 switch, installed by DTV when I added the locals-this will not be adequate, right? What would I need and is this switch provided to me by DTV when they will set up the HDTV dish like they did when I upgraded to locals?

Dr. Bob, I do plan to call you sometime during the day. Thanks for you offer.

If things sound impossible, or you think that I am better off moving the tower closer to the house, I will. I really do not want the dishes on the house and would much rather they be on the tower.

Thanks for all of your info, please feel free to add more. I can't believe that I always thought a coil of coaxial from Wal-Mart (just longer) would work and that there was nothing to it but making sure that the everything was connected securely.

RJ

RG11 is about as big around as a nickle, plus it takes special cable strippers, fittings, and crimp tools. If you plan to run the cable under ground it will need to be "flooded" cable, I have a pair of crimps and a bag of fittings for RG11 but there is no way I'm giving up any of my cable. If you live close let me know. 1000 feet of good quality RG11 will run you about 300 bucks plus shipping (70 plus lbs.) and the flooded cable is a pain to work with. I would move the tower closer to the house for sure.

NEVER buy cable or fittings from Wal-mart!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry you will also need to switch from flooded to standard cable before you enter the house or the gel will leak out and make a mess! Companies that use flooded cable will not let it be used indoors.

D* also does not offer a multi-room two TV DVR like E* does. Nor do they have plans to offer one in the future.

Oh. So I guess RG6 is more what I need. RG11 sticks in my head from my days in college as standard coaxial and then I never heard of RG6 until now, thinking that it would be better to use RG11 because of the less interference. I am really hoping that RG6 can do the job. Eric, do you agree on the number of runs (7) required though? Wow, the idea of 7 nickel sized cables for one entertainment system would be a major project. I wish there was a website that offered figuring this stuff out for people like me.

More tomorrow. Thanks,
RJ

If you are running more than 80 feet you will need more than the standard RG-6 cable. If your locals are on the 72.5 sat (as mine are, check here http://www.lyngsat.com/uslocal/Ohio.html?PHPSESSID=c5b14f680bf00995a1b995c2e78a1bd4 ) you will need a 2nd dish, other wise the AT-9 will also get you the locals and you will only need to run 5 lines to the house. Personally I would install a 6 foot pole much closer to the house( but as far out of sight as possible) and save a ton of money on cable and heartache on running the RG11.

Also the H20 and H10 do not out put DVI, only HDMI so you will need an adapter, but there should be no issue finding that cable.

RG-6 will be fine. If you have more than one reciever like 3 ,then you will need 3 lines from your dish (Phase3 or AT9) Recomend AT9. If you just want to use 1 IRD , then 1 line is all you need from the dish. If you want 5 recievers than you will need a 6x8 switch with 4 lines from the dish to the switch. I recommend switch inside not outside. If you are going to have a reciever in each room than run 2 lines to each room , 1 for sat and 1 for ant. Diplexors will not work with KA/KU switch (that is if you are going to use the AT9 dish).

stevo/65 said:
RG-6 will be fine.
Have you set up D* systems with a run of over 150 feet usinf RG6?

That is pushing it for a CATV siginal on RG6.

I would use RG7 on anything over 80 feet for D* or 150 feet for CATV

And use RG11 on anything over 120 Feet for D* or 200 feet for CATV

I have designed cable systems, from back in my cable days as a cable dude. I also use to run alot of voice and data as well.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)