I need help or I may have to cancel Voom (No Local Channels)

bnl107

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 29, 2004
Allentown, PA
This is my first post on this forum. I signed up for Voom service about a month and a half ago. I love the company and the HD service. My problem is that I get NO local channels. I've had the service guys out three times now to correct the problem, but to no avail. The first installer didn't even hook up the antenna because he said it "wasn't worth it", in fact he told me if I wanted it I'd have to buy my own antenna. Well, I did and Installs Inc sent a guy out to wire it up for me... no local channels. Then I learned that the first installer had misinformed me and there should have been an OTA antenna included with my original install, so they sent another guy out to install it. That guy arrived last week... with no antenna! He said it was my responsibility to supply it. Again I called Voom and they said Installs Inc would call me within 48 hours. I waited a week, no phone call. Finally I called Voom again today, and they said they were very sorry and would have someone out on Thursday to install the OTA antenna I should have been supplied with originally. I am hoping this will fix some of my problem, however:

According to Antennaweb, I will only get 2 local digital channels. One is an independent local news/weather station, the other is a Christian broadcasting station. I live in Allentown, PA (zip 18104). I know some rural areas may not have local channels, but I am in the third largest city in PA! I'm only about 45 miles north of Philadelphia and 70 miles south of NYC, but appently none of their stations will be accessable from my area. That means no Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS, etc... for me! My girlfriend has been complaining about not having the Simpsons and Seinfield since I switched to Voom, and I am beginning to have the same feelings. What options do I have? Are there plans to offer local channels over the satellite like DirectTV? Even if they are not "local", I would be happy just having some sort of normal Fox, ABC, NBC, CBS programming. I am really excited about what Voom is trying to do, and I would hate to have to switch back to cable (even though my local cable co. does offer HD channels), but without any major network channels I may have to. Any help or suggestions would be appriciated. Thanks in advance.

If you can't get locals because of your location and you really want Voom HD, maybe you should consider getting basic cable for your locals. It should be under $20/month and both you and your girlfriend would be happy.

Some cable companies offer "Broadcast-only" package (which is below "Basic Cable") for as low as 5-6 bucks. They normally don't advertise such plan, but they will tell you if you ask.

I am in the same boat as bnl107. We finally gave up on local channels because of our location and didn't even install the Voom OTA antenna.

I never heard of the "Broadcast only" option from cable that Ilya mentions. That could be our answer, too. Would that work with the Voom HD decoder, or are we back to protocol (encoding) issues?

According to the antennaweb.org I should not get ANY digital channels. I am about 60 miles from most TV towers but I'm getting EVERY single digital channel available in my area. So, don't pay attention to what antennaweb says. Use it only as a guideline for direction.
An OTA antenna must be included with every Voom package. Based on your position, call Voom and ask them to give you the larges antenna they have. When you get it, supervise the installer during installation. Make him move the antenna left or right until you get most channels. Even the slightest movement on your distance can make huge difference!
Don't give up on Voom. Even when the installer finishes the job, I would try to adjust the antenna on my own to get the best of it. Only problem you may have is a large hill or building between you and TV towers.
Good luck and let us know what happens!

Agree Antenna web is wrong.

Voom should install the antenna with an amplifier, if the basic one does not work they should upgrade you to a better antenna.

If your in a tough spot you my also want to buy an antenna rotator. That solved 5 of 7 channels for me.

Lifeline cable as someone else suggested, its cheap and you get locals, granted they are only SD but at least they are there.

1080iBeVuMin said:
I never heard of the "Broadcast only" option from cable that Ilya mentions. That could be our answer, too. Would that work with the Voom HD decoder, or are we back to protocol (encoding) issues?
I am talking about local SD channels. These channels are usually analog and unscrambled over the cable, so your TV NTSC tuner should be able to handle them without problem. This could be company- and location-specific, but my Adelphia here in Cleveland suburbs offered that plan for under $6, if I remember correctly. Again, they never advertised that plan. But when I asked them specifically "Do you have a plan with local channels only?", they told me about it.

Also, I was told by my local cable provider (Comcast) that you do not need to subscribe to anything other than basic cable to get HD locals. So with basic cable & HD receiver rental and you can get HD locals and a few extras for under $20/month. But you have to ask for it and be insistent because apparently they don't like subscribers to know about this option. Maybe it's similar with other providers.

bnl107 said:
I live in Allentown, PA (zip 18104). I know some rural areas may not have local channels, but I am in the third largest city in PA! I'm only about 45 miles north of Philadelphia and 70 miles south of NYC

I don't think your proximity to those cities will be the determining factor...if I remember correctly, that area of PA is very hilly and unless you live near a hilltop instead of a valley area you could be SOL.

Thanks Ilya and Conjuror!

Thanks, Ilya. But I am interested only if I can get local HD (OTA or cable).

I am encouraged by Conjuror because, like Conjuror, I am about 60 miles north of Frisco, up on a hill. Antennaweb says don't bother, but I gotta see this for myself. The Voom OTA antenna is still in the garage, all boxed up, brand new. If that works, I'll get an installer back out here and take it to the roof.

I am in the same boat bnl107, I got the same lecture from my installer. I am just on the other side of the river in NJ across from easton, allentown. The installer from Bethlehem and they didn't even attempt to put the antenna up. they did try two separate antennas, both of which will be finding there way onto ebay shortly. Basically, I have kept the Service Electric basic (about 20 bucks). The only other option is a massive antenna tower.

carpedesign said:
I am in the same boat bnl107, I got the same lecture from my installer. I am just on the other side of the river in NJ across from easton, allentown. The installer from Bethlehem and they didn't even attempt to put the antenna up. they did try two separate antennas, both of which will be finding there way onto ebay shortly. Basically, I have kept the Service Electric basic (about 20 bucks). The only other option is a massive antenna tower.

With Serv. Elec. for an extra 9.95 you can rent the HD Converter box and get CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, WB, UPN, PBS and WFMZ in high definition included in converter rental price.

Hart5150 said:
With Serv. Elec. for an extra 9.95 you can rent the HD Converter box and get CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, WB, UPN, PBS and WFMZ in high definition included in converter rental price.

Thanks for the suggestions. I had thought about just subscribing to my local cable co.'s basic service, but at 79.99 for VaVaVoom + rental fees for 2 sets + basic cable service + $9.95 for cable HD, I might as well just go back to Service Electric. I think it would actually be less expensive. I do like what Voom is trying to do though, so I'll wait a little while and see if they decide to offer my locals over the satellite.

Hart5150 said:

I hear you, however the B@#$#$ at serv. elec haven't upgraded NJ yet. I had to cancel SE because they kept lieing, I had one-way cable service slower than dial-up. If SE had HD I wouldn't bother with VOOM.

carpedesign said:
I hear you, however the B@#$#$ at serv. elec haven't upgraded NJ yet. I had to cancel SE because they kept lieing, I had one-way cable service slower than dial-up. If SE had HD I wouldn't bother with VOOM.

Yeah, I had Service Electric and with all the movie channels, the HD package, and all the rental fees it came to be a little under $135/month. I had thought that Voom would be a steal at $108, but in all honesty I wouldn't really miss any of the original channels and if I have to pay almost $30 just to have my local HD and digital channels it seems like cable may be a better value. I'm going to give Voom until November to see if they start offering my locals or atleast some sort of network programming over the satellie with the larger dish/second satellite. If not, I'm going to have to give up and go back to cable. I like what Voom is trying to do, and I want to hepl support them, but at some point I'm going to have to re-evaluate which option has the best programming at the best value.

This has been posted many times before, get the basic cable service just to get the locals. What is it $12 a month?

If you like HDTV then keep a service that is actually providing HD.

Dvlos said:
This has been posted many times before, get the basic cable service just to get the locals. What is it $12 a month?

If you like HDTV then keep a service that is actually providing HD.

Cheapest my local cable company offers is $24.99. They call it the "Basic Broadcast Package" and it includes only the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, PBS, and Fox) in SD. At that price, I might as well just switch back to cable and pay the extra for their HD package.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)