I need some assistance with an apartment building Sirius install

cheebs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 15, 2005
Let me paint it as clearly as possible:

I live on the 12th floor of a 15-story condominium. The DBS dish is located on the roof, as is the headend equipment. (LNB power supplies, amplifiers and a UPS)

I have a 4-port multiswitch on my floor. There is one cascaded multiswitch above me (on 14 I believe) and three more below (11, 7 and 4).

My apartment faces due south, with only temporary exposure to the Sirius signal.

What I want to do is install an external Sirius antenna on the roof and combine it with the DBS signal with a Sirius satellite radio/DBS combiner/splitter kit. (pic attached below)

I'd like to know if this is even possible, and if anyone has any idea where in the signal chain would be the best location to place the combiner.

My take on it is placing it right below the lnb power supply, but don't know if it being on only one polarity would affect things, and if the signal would even make it down to and through my multiswitch to be able to split it right at the equipment rack.

Gotta admit, I'm sorta stumped.

Attachments

• sirius_dbs_combiner.jpg
    sirius_dbs_combiner.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:
anyone

Well I am pretty clueless on this but it would seem to me to work . The best chance is if you only use the coax between the points with no switches which I understand may not be possible but other than that I do not know. If there is a switch in the loop and you sat is not seeing that coax I bet that will be a problem.

I think at certain parts of the day the satellite will be able to get the signal to his dish, but at other parts when the sat. is in a different part of the sky, he won't get a signal...

Purogamer said:
I think at certain parts of the day the satellite will be able to get the signal to his dish, but at other parts when the sat. is in a different part of the sky, he won't get a signal...

You are correct! My apartment only gets signal when there is a clear view of the satellite, the rest of the time it's blocked by the building's structure itself.

TateSatellites no, Sirius uses a weird "figure8" orbit for its satellites, see attached graphic:

sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

Last edited:
I guess so that if you don't have line-of-site with the satellite you wouldn't be excluded or have to cut down trees to get radio. It's not tv where they can expect someone to pay $800 to have trees trimmed...

There could be a different reason, but that's what I would think. Some signal is better than no signal...

Oh with satellite I have no problem, the dish is mounted on the roof of the building. That is the reason why I want to mount a Sirius antenna on the roof and integrate it into the DBS distribution system with the abovementioned gadget.

My problem is knowing if it will work with our cascaded multiswitch system.

cheebs said:
You are correct! My apartment only gets signal when there is a clear view of the satellite, the rest of the time it's blocked by the building's structure itself.
TateSatellites no, Sirius uses a weird "figure8" orbit for its satellites, see attached graphic:
sirius-xmorbitanim.gif

I think its totally impressive that the sats cover the south american continent... is there a graph like this for the XM orbit....?

This is neat.

PhuckNut said:
I think its totally impressive that the sats cover the south american continent... is there a graph like this for the XM orbit....?
This is neat.
XM's sats are in a geo-sych orbit at . Maybe it's why they have those big honk'n antennas.

The sats are at 85.1W & 115W. You can see'em on that chart :).

Shawn

kwajr said:
by the way do you want all the talk channs that they have,dish already offers the music

My DBS is D* not E* I have XM on D* but the gadget wh0re in me just can't pass up another one LOL.

I still feel Sirius has better SQ than XM.

cheebs said:
My DBS is D* not E* I have XM on D* but the gadget wh0re in me just can't pass up another one LOL.
I still feel Sirius has better SQ than XM.
i know my next purchase is a headunit for my car that is xm/sirius ready so i can enjoy both i love xm but like sirius urban and rock better

PhuckNut said:
This is neat.

In this graph, you can actually see where the two XM sats are on the equator... XM1 and XM2

Shawn95GT said:
XM's sats are in a geo-sych orbit at . Maybe it's why they have those big honk'n antennas.

The sats are at 85.1W & 115W. You can see'em on that chart :).

Shawn

How big are the Sirius antennas. My roady 2 antenna is only as big as my thumb.

Tate Satellites said:
How big are the Sirius antennas. My roady 2 antenna is only as big as my thumb.
That's cool that they have a smaller one. It seems that all the cars I see with XM have the big shark fin or the 'computer mouse' sized ones.

The Sirius antenna is roughly the size of a silver dollar and is about 3/16" thick.

Shawn

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction, Van! :D you da MAN, VAN!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)