I notice in the dbstalk website you can't talk about "moving" but you can here.

Status
Please reply by conversation.
DBSTalk is used as the techs that are on there, as their own private forum. Same with DirecTV's forum. If an outsider comes in. They will attempt to get you banned from either place. Especially if you start answering questions. Comcast is the same way. They only allow a few chosen, that per the employee that is treating that forum as their private club. Will lock you out from helping others, or asking a question and they think that you are being difficult.
Thats ridiculous ...
IF that was the case then the forum would be available to employees ONLY, requiring them to use a User ID or something like that to access, thus not allowing anyone outside of the company to access it.

Reactions: Troch77 and joed32
I'm talking about "moving", as in telling Directv that you have moved to a different dma to get their local channels when you in fact haven't moved at all. It's not illegal, but it is against the tos of your contract.
Still nothing that they cannot do. There is no way of physically auditing the end user equipment, in where they are physically located, unless they start installing GPS units inside the boxes.

You see this a lot more in markets where there are overlapping DMA's that Nielsen is paid by the local ownership which town will get one of the two or three set of local affiliates.

At least with Central IL, you get the Champaign, IL version of ABC, along with the Springfield ABC, regardless where you live inside the Springfield/Champaign/Decatur market area.

Since consumers are paying more than they should, because of the local affiliates are using mob tactics in those markets with multiple locals that can be picked up OTA, but only give you the one. Same with that every market should get the local Sub-Channels, not have to use the AM-21N to pick them up.

Still nothing that they cannot do. There is no way of physically auditing the end user equipment, in where they are physically located, unless they start installing GPS units inside the boxes.

You see this a lot more in markets where there are overlapping DMA's that Nielsen is paid by the local ownership which town will get one of the two or three set of local affiliates.

At least with Central IL, you get the Champaign, IL version of ABC, along with the Springfield ABC, regardless where you live inside the Springfield/Champaign/Decatur market area.

Since consumers are paying more than they should, because of the local affiliates are using mob tactics in those markets with multiple locals that can be picked up OTA, but only give you the one. Same with that every market should get the local Sub-Channels, not have to use the AM-21N to pick them up.
This is one advantage Cable usually has ... that should go away.

Thats ridiculous ...
IF that was the case then the forum would be available to employees ONLY, requiring them to use a User ID or something like that to access, thus not allowing anyone outside of the company to access it.
As I stated it is the installers, not employees, that are using it as their own private club house for both the DirectTV forum and DBSTalk. Same goes for the Comcast forums. But in that case you have a VP in media relations (dead end job made up for someone that they can not get rid of, so they put them in charge of the FB page, Twitter account and the forum).

If a company is going to have a help forum online, same as a Facebook page. It needs to be open to all, not turned into a closed forum, that only the contractors or employees with no title think that they are the only ones that can post in it.

Go look through both the Comcast & DirecTV forums on the web. You will find a lot of people that have been banned after one or two posts, just for asking a question regarding how stuff is billed, or troubleshooting equipment.

This is one advantage Cable usually has ... that should go away.
Yes it should go away. With CATV, they only offer the locals that are in that town. If you are between Decatur & Champaign, Comcast will go by the Nielsen DMA rules, even if you are right on the edge in the DMA overlap.

What's the deal?

Because you need to let Directv know EXACTLY where the receivers are located so you get the correct local channels. They are not allowed to provide locals that are not in your DMA unless: They are significantly viewed ones, or you have an waiver for the reception of distant nets. It may not be "illegal" like Scott G. says but it's against FCC rules and you could and should be shut down if you give Directv a phony address for different locals or RSN's. If you want another markets locals rather than your own, simple pack up the dish, receiver and your belongings and physically move to a new home, pretty easy isn't it. Both providers need to clamp down on this sort of dishonest activity as it deprives the local station of advertising revenue in YOUR DMA not some other market. Spotbeams help that a bit by limiting choices to a few hundred miles of said "moved" to market.

Because you need to let Directv know EXACTLY where the receivers are located so you get the correct local channels. They are not allowed to provide locals that are not in your DMA unless: They are significantly viewed ones, or you have an waiver for the reception of distant nets. It may not be "illegal" like Scott G. says but it's against FCC rules and you could and should be shut down if you give Directv a phony address for different locals or RSN's. If you want another markets locals rather than your own, simple pack up the dish, receiver and your belongings and physically move to a new home, pretty easy isn't it. Both providers need to clamp down on this sort of dishonest activity as it deprives the local station of advertising revenue in YOUR DMA not some other market. Spotbeams help that a bit by limiting choices to a few hundred miles of said "moved" to market.
Where did you come from, 1980 ?

If I have Denver locals ( remember thats available thru C Band, or was) and I live in Detroit we'll say ... ( I know I can't do that because of Spotbeams, but just for sake of argument), do you REALLY think I'm gonna go to DENVER to get groceries tomorrow instead of Detroit because of the local advertisments not being correct ... I thin mthe people that think they are losing all this money due to not seeing the correct ads are dilusional.

Reactions: Mr Tony and Broe67
Just to tie into what Tampa said.... It is not just RV'ers. There are also people that have vacation homes, campers, tailgaters, truckers, gypsies (very much less likely, but thought I would include them), and many more......

My lasting remembrance of this thread. Gypsies. Let's include Tramps and Thieves too.

rsmithwi in all do reality, there is no way that a Satellite provider can really prove where the equipment is physically located, without using some type of GPS device. Internet does not work, because a really smart software programmer, especially with CIsco iOS, or even pfSense or Smoothwall, can go in and make it appear that the location is say in Chicago, but in reality the box is in Kentucky. Or use Triangulation between multiple birds and the box, to try and assume it is one location. The biggest issue with that, is that the box can still be say 20 miles from where the billing is sent.

This whole thing of letting Nielsen play the Godfather and like Jimbo stated. You are talking about the 1980's. Now with the advent of apps like Sling.com and other apps that are monthly fee based. Pay to watch TV providers are now seeing a lot of churn. Since I have been medically retired as of December 10th. All I watch while I am up, is Netflix, or programming I have paid for at Amazon.com.

It is going to come down to telling local affiliate ownerships that they are either going to have to get on the train with the other IPTV providers that use Apps, or start seeing customers going with the very cheapest package a provider offers, and end up getting Sling.com for $20.

Reactions: Annie61
Both providers need to clamp down on this sort of dishonest activity as it deprives the local station of advertising revenue in YOUR DMA not some other market. Spotbeams help that a bit by limiting choices to a few hundred miles of said "moved" to market.

There's one in every thread. Spare us the pontificating. With all that's wrong in the world today, "moving" a few miles isn't hurting anyone including the local affiliates.

Reactions: levibluewa
My market only has "the big 5" CBS NBC ABC Fox and PBS. I "move" to Boston to get virtually all networks. Explain how my market is losing money on an affiliate we don't have! I watch local news on the AM21 so I am still seeing the local ads.

My market doesn't have the ACC Network. Boston does. My market's CW isn't on Directv, and isn't HD OTA. Boston's is. No Telemundo here, and the national feeds are SD? No thanks - Boston has it in HD.

guess you never heard of requiring equipment to be plugged into ethernet or phonelines..

I never knew that gypsies even existed in the US until I was shown while visiting FL. :)

True dat. There are areas especially in the general Sarasota area of past "Freak Show" , "Gypsies" (Roma) Amish and Circus people. There are Amish restaurants and stores that cater to the Gypsy lifestyle including Indian (as in India) food.

Reactions: Dah-Henny
True dat. There are areas especially in the general Sarasota area of past "Freak Show" , "Gypsies" (Roma) Amish and Circus people. There are Amish restaurants and stores that cater to the Gypsy lifestyle including Indian (as in India) food.
Soooo.... Time to make a trip to Sarasota. That sounds awesome.

Reactions: navychop
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts