I predict...

I predict Neutron and GaryPen will keep whining about how much E* sucks, and will call anyone a "Dish Lover" who disagrees :)

I predict the following

-Dish will add 5-10 more LP channels, further angering Tony Suarez
-Due to this one dish rule for locals, smaller local areas will move to Superdish or wings, making yet more people angry because they had locals and now have to wait 6 months to see them again
-Dish will add NFL channel sometime soon
-Dish won't add Victory Sports until Direct does (and Direct doesnt look to add it anytime soon)
-ExpressVu & StarChoice will be able to sell in the US, eliminating grey market subscribers (highly doubt, but worth a shot)
-Charlie will stun all of us and add a market that has only ONE channel in the DMA (like Mankato, MN)
-Dish comes out this year with a receiver that isnt buggy from the get-go :D

and finally....Dish adds channel 8355 to its lineup, which makes Tony Suarez fly to Denver to thank Charlie live on a Charlie Chat for adding it (only to flick him off and say "what the hell took you so long to add it" (8355 being WBQC in Cincinnati) :D:D:D

Iceberg said:
I predict the following

-Dish comes out this year with a receiver that isnt buggy from the get-go :D
:D:D:D

That has got to be the most far fetched prediction I have ever heard on this or any other board. :p

My predictions:
*Dish will continue to spend all its energy(and bandwidth) on adding new locals......because that is what charlie thinks the people want.

*New HD content will only be added if they can bundle the channels in a way
that would require subscribers to purchase expensive new equipment or dishes.

*Dish will continue to product test new STB on an unsuspecting public with endless
customer upgrades and programming commitments.

Dish will not drop a market if it needs to go to 61.5/148 or 105/121, but will have to get all the existing subscribers that have those locals that are moving a new dish.

My guess is that the 921 will be gone after number 300 comes off the production line - some new receiver will replace it - 2 years later than Dish claims. The new receiver won't live up to expectations either and Dish will still claim to be the 'leader' in HD. I will also have an HD DirecTivo and will be praising how well it works but bitching about the over-compressed HDTV-Lite DirecTv will be supplying it while I wait for Comcast to have a decent PVR.

E* will never take over SBC.

SBC net worth - $84 Billion
DTV - $24.9 billion
E* - $8 billion
Voom (Cablevision Systems Corp) - $6 billion

So The ONLY possibility for E* would be to merge with Voom, but even then, they couldn't touch DTV or SBC.

I think the ONLY thing they are going to announce on the 10th is SIRIUS.

Big deal.. I want my HD-TV.

Putting new HD channels on 61.5'?

Not if its gonna cost current HD subscribers $325+ to purchase a second dish. (Exactly what a CSR told me when I called to get CBS-HD last week)

So if I were a bettin' man, Like I said, SIRIUS will be the big announcement.

*sigh*

Scott, I don't see HD moving back to 61.5. That move would get a bunch of folks ticked off that had a 61.5 dish then removed it since Charlie said HD on 110. I do think that once AMC-15 gets up there the original SuperDish plan would come back and HD goes to 105.

As for who might buy who, I could see SBC giving Charlie some cash to take a walk. Which would hopefully make the next item come true, new hardware isn't released until the designers/engineers say it's ready, not some idiot manager. Too much ill will has been generated over the past 6 months due to the quality of hardware/software. This costs E* customers and bad word of mouth. SBC wouldn't put up with an operation like this and would stop that practice ASAP.

Okay, here is my shot at it...

E* will aquire VOOM's content and technology in some fashion. VOOM's owner is spinning them off becuase they are a red-ink factory. Spinning off ususally means (up for sale or acquisition). VOOM has a killer HD PVR (Motorola/Ucentric) on the horizon and that is exactly what E* needs to recover from their homebrew crap-fest.

I predict D* customers continue to laugh at E* and V* customers b/c D* customers will have all that they want by the end of the year and E* and V* customers will still have 1 or 2 major issues with their service. Specifially:

1) The HD DirecTivo will see a decent price cut around the holidays. D* will have all the major HD channels, but none of the filler type V* has. D* probably won't carry the Pacific feeds, but East is good enough. D* will carry the national HD Fox. D* customers will be particularly snotty about NFL Sunday Tkt. HD games.
2) E* will continue adding LIL. Simultaneously adding 2-3 HD channels and still claiming to be the leader in HD. Partnership will V* seems like too good of an idea for the giant egos involved to actually do it.
3) Will be acquisition talk all year. Adds every HD channel as it becomes available, including InHD but excepting HDNet. DVR shows up, is leased or bought, but V* requires 12 mo. commitment to reduce churn. Company will also abandoned misguided idea of providing antennas (there's a reason no one else does it). Voom will be unable to add RSNs, angering many. New codec doesn't arrive until 2005. Because of their growing annoyance with what they perceive as fanboyism, AVS forum will begin great V* inquisition. Anyone speaking fondly of V* will be banned from posting. Vurbano will be burned at the stake, with 720p crowd supplying the gasoline.

Note: I know I'm stupid.

I predict Voom will be bought out. Since I am a Voomer this could be good news for everyone. Unless people get tired of waiting for HD channels w/ other providers and get Voom. I see a Voom DVR that will be at a good price and not be filled w/ bugs. I see me taking over the psychic friends network. I see that I am typing, I see letters on the screen, I see the cursor moving, I see people getting annoyed, boy I'm good.

a merger of voom and dish. It would be a good marriage.

And I predict that genewildershair will discover that his house lies above an ancient underground river bed that distorts subterreanean tremors to a specific harmonic frequency that is shaking the guns in his sony RPTV causing his microstuttering.

If that happens then genwildershair will not have to worry about haircuts anymore because he will pull out all that wildhair. :D

As long as everyone else is chiming in here is my prediction...

Dish will scrap its current HDTV bundling promotion. In its place they will partner with Sears or maybe Radio Shack to give away 811s with the purchase of a new HDTV above a certain price point, probably $2000 or so. A minimum 1 year commitment of AT60 and HDTV package, along with CC autopay, will be required. Upgrade to a 921 for maybe $200 or something like that. Beats the heck out of the two sets they have on the promotion now and is more competetive with DirecTV's offer. HD customers are higher margin customers so it wouldn't surprise me if they went after them agressively.

bcshields said:
I think SBC's a bigger takeover target than Voom. For some reason I'm thinking Charlie is more into technical backing then programming. I think he wants to be out in the lead with tech and SBC seems to be viable.

I think Voom is too obvious a target, and would draw deals from other companies.

You do realize that SBC is is Ameritch, Pacbel & what used to be local part of GTE.(Yep kiddies, Ma Bell, that old sly gal, is picking herself back up! :D) I don't think E* could 'buy' any one of those former companies, let alone the colglomoration it has become now.

Oyving said:
It would be just like a small company like Worldcom trying to buy out a mommouth like MCI! :rolleyes: :D

I predict that:

The NFL channel will NOT be on E* and that D* will sign up for 5 more years of exclusive rights for Sunday Ticket.

The 2004 Summer Olympics will be in HD on Dish on the special events channel as PPV.

Actually Worldcom was not that small at all. By that time they had had quite a few (if memory servers, more than a hundred) acquisitions under their belt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)