I predict...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
lovswr said:
You do realize that SBC is is Ameritch, Pacbel & what used to be local part of GTE.(Yep kiddies, Ma Bell, that old sly gal, is picking herself back up! :D) I don't think E* could 'buy' any one of those former companies, let alone the colglomoration it has become now.

You missed SNet and Nevada Bell in the SBC's family, but GTE local went to Verizon, not SBC.

rad said:
You missed SNet and Nevada Bell in the SBC's family, but GTE local went to Verizon, not SBC.

I wondered what happened to Southern New England Telephone...they were nice to call :). Are you sure about GTE..I could have sworn that Verizon (former Bell Atlantic & Nynex) got GTE long distance which they use as the backbone for Cingular...look how they are all intertwined...Just like Agilent used to be...?

p.s. whoops almost forgot...SBC also got what used to be know as Southwestern Bell (as opposed to BellSouth...the last ra...er LEC to stand alone).

lovswr said:
I wondered what happened to Southern New England Telephone...they were nice to call :). Are you sure about GTE..I could have sworn that Verizon (former Bell Atlantic & Nynex) got GTE long distance which they use as the backbone for Cingular...look how they are all intertwined...Just like Agilent used to be...?

p.s. whoops almost forgot...SBC also got what used to be know as Southwestern Bell (as opposed to BellSouth...the last ra...er LEC to stand alone).

Yep, fairly sure since I work with folks in all 50 states at work securing POTS and DSL service.

I am absolutely certain about GTE local service being merged into Verizon. GTE has been my local phone company for almost all of the 31 years I have lived in SoCal. They picked up the Verizon name something like 5 or 6 years ago after the merger with Atlantic Bell. Was Nynex also in there somewhere? I am not really sure.

dlsnyder said:
I am absolutely certain about GTE local service being merged into Verizon. GTE has been my local phone company for almost all of the 31 years I have lived in SoCal. They picked up the Verizon name something like 5 or 6 years ago after the merger with Atlantic Bell. Was Nynex also in there somewhere? I am not really sure.
NYNEX and BellAtlantic merged first to create Verizon, which then gobbled up GTE.

lovswr said:
You do realize that SBC is is Ameritch, Pacbel & what used to be local part of GTE.(Yep kiddies, Ma Bell, that old sly gal, is picking herself back up! :D) I don't think E* could 'buy' any one of those former companies, let alone the colglomoration it has become now.

Nope, I said later on I think Charlie will sell out to SBC so he can be free, and go live on an island somewhere.

I beleive Cingulars cell fone service was a joint venture with a few of the smaller bells and Bellsouth, then SBC bought them. I am not sure 100% thoough.

mattb said:
I beleive Cingulars cell fone service was a joint venture with a few of the smaller bells and Bellsouth, then SBC bought them. I am not sure 100% thoough.
Many of the baby bells used the "Cellular One" brand name for their out of market service. For example, in Bell Atlantic territory BAM sold their service as Bell Atlantic Mobile ... elsewhere they sold it as part of the "Cellular One" brand.

"Cellular One" was available to any "A" band carrier that could join. A lot of the big guns got in and it was a thriving brand. But a few years ago the market changed.

Many of the baby bells remerged into larger companies. SBC and Bellsouth began to have huge regional networks and Bell Atlantic, already merged with NYNEX, merged with GTE. It made more sense for the mega companies to use the same name nationwide -- Verizon and Cingular came out of that change. New brands to replace the regional names and Cellular One.

"Cellular One" still exists, but only a few minor carriers use the brand name.

JL

> The four tuner DVR's will be the primary focus of a future promotion(s), and multi-tuner DVR's (two and four tuner versions) will start being the norm for future installations to lower churn, create additional revenue, lower additional outlet fees, and provide an advantage to cable, have some kind of edge over them once again in every install.

> All future receivers will all have at least two tuners (even the DVR's).

> Eventually all receivers will be a DVR, perhaps even be solid state particularly for those that want to travel with the receivers such as RV's, etc. and perhaps a special one would be made for RV'ing which would not be subject to damage to damage like the hard drive ones would although it would not be able to store as much video and may even be more expensive.

> Monthly programming credit promotions will continue as they do with today's Free For All, but with DVR's included in the promotion as well to get more montly programming credits to make up for the larger cost of the DVR's.

lovswr said:

Actually... you left out a few. Better throw Cingular in there, too. Oh, and ATT wireless. Though those are co-owed by SBC and Bell South.

And of course, Southwestern Bell.

justalurker said:
"Cellular One" still exists, but only a few minor carriers use the brand name.

JL

in MN, most of the area (minus Mpls/St Paul, St Cloud & Rochester) still use Cell One as the "A" carrier

I read where Mr. Egren said HD is ready to go mainstream as opposed to a thing for hobbyists. I predict unkept HD promises will be made soon.

I predict that some of the predictions on this thread will come true and others will not. I also predict that Dish's software development will be shifted to U.S. from Eldon and that this will improve the 921 bugs.

HD does need to go mainstream. It's one thing to say it is ready to go mainstream and another to actually make it go mainstream. I do not see Dish doing this for a while. I do not think Dish could get away with taking the analog feed of a station down when it goes HD because there would be too many people that do not have HDTV yet or still have analog tv's to do so.

It would be pretty tough to provide the SD and HD feeds at the same time (think about how channels are going digital on C-Band and the analog feeds being taken down). Once they can take down the SD feeds that will free up a lot of space for HD channels. By that time new satellites will have probably been launched and new compression schemes in place to have room for many HD channels.

Iceberg said:
in MN, most of the area (minus Mpls/St Paul, St Cloud & Rochester) still use Cell One as the "A" carrier
That one would be Western Wireless ...
Western Wireless Corporation(NASDAQ:WWCA) is a leading provider of communications services in the Western United States. The company owns and operates wireless phone systems marketed primarily under the Cellular One® national brand name in 19 western states. Western Wireless currently serves 1,231,200 customers.

"Cellular One" is a registered service mark of the Cellular One Group®.
Western Wireless joined the Cellular One group in 1999.

Here's an article from 2002 about the status of the brand.

To get (somewhat) back on topic: Cellular One in Chicago was SBC, competing against Ameritech. When the two companies merged the Ameritech spectrum was sold to GTE Wireless. GTE kept the Ameritech brand name until Verizon Wireless was introduced. Yes, SBC/Ameritech was competing as "Cellular One" against "Ameritech Cellular" owned by GTE.

Nothing is truly confusing until you know all of the facts. :D

SBC is bundling Dish with their products.
GTE (now Verizon) has decided to bundle DirecTV.

JL

rad said:
NYNEX and BellAtlantic merged first to create Verizon, which then gobbled up GTE.
wrong wrong wrong..bell atlantic purchased nynex..they assumed the bell atlantic name although nynex management controlled the company..in early 2000 (around july) bell atlantic and gte merged to become verizon..the name changed due to a fcc mandate..the new company was welcomed into existence by a 3 week strike conducted by cwa and ibew. This strike was nothing more than a way for the new company to gain name recognition
:rolleyes:

bell atlantic mobile merged with a vodaphone to become verizon wireless..this had nothing to due with gte

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts