i think dish finally made a smart move

DishSatUser said:
I also agree that this would be a good plan. Moving the 148 and 61.5 material to Superdish allows compliance with the Single dish issue for the Locals.

Next, HD customers would need their second dish, but many already do for the 148 or 61.5 existing HD content not mirrored to the core.

Heck, lets modify the statement partially and have 119/110 HD content also move to the wings. Internationals and locals on 121 and 105, core on 110/119.
Super Dish to me is complicated, If they put everyone's locals on 121 or 105 along with internationals, do these satellites cover the entire country. And unless they mirror the internationals on both 121 and 105 it would get very complicated if someone wanted to have international channels with their locals. (lets say your locals are on 105, but the international channels are on 121, what do you do install two SuperDishes?)

Then 61.5 and 148, unless they mirror everything on both satellites(except E and W feeds) you'd have to have a satellite dish for 61.5, 148, 110, 119, plus a 105 or 121 Superdish. That would be very interesting to see not get mixed up, and I for one don't want my house looking like a broadcast center!

Then, are they going to upgrade everyone to a SuperDish so that those that receive their locals on 110 or 119 now, can continue receiving them. Or are they going to expect us to go out and buy a superDish. Either way it would be expensive, but if Dish decides to pay for the upgrade for everyone so that they can add HD channels to the wing satellites, it's going to hurt them. Granted they've got to do it now anyways, but how much more expensive are those superdishes than a DISH 300?

They could move their core over to the wing sats (mirrored between 61.5 and 148 so that everyone gets the same channels no matter which sat they get their core programming from), and then leave/put locals, internationals, and HD on 105, 110, 119, or 121. Have everything except locals mirrored between 105 121 so that they sell one super dish for the East coast and one for the West coast, only if you want internationals, or your locals are on Super Dish, if your locals are on 119 or 110 and you don't want internationals you just have a Dish 500 for locals/HD/ and a Dish 300 for Core programming. And if you live in a area that requires a superdish for locals, 105 or 121 would be for your locals and internationals if you desired.

Why couldn't the core channels be on 61.5 or 148? Thats were Voom had all of their programming (Only 61.5), so I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, and I think it would be better, cheaper, less of a issue for current subs, and etc. than what you guys are talking about. Just my 2 cents.

Tony P says:

Why couldn't the core channels be on 61.5 or 148? Thats were Voom had all of their programming (Only 61.5), so I don't see any reason why this wouldn't work, and I think it would be better, cheaper, less of a issue for current subs, and etc. than what you guys are talking about. Just my 2 cents.

Because there are too many subscribers, probably at least 50%, and maybe even as much as 80% of E*s subscribers that have no dish pointed at 61.5 or 148 depending on their physical location.

So to implement your plan, they have to install 5 to 8 million dishes and likely upgrade switches in these same locations to accomplish your goal. This will cost far more to pull off than purchasing the satellite did. Never mind the logistical nightmare.

Cheers,

tonyp56 said:
Super Dish to me is complicated, If they put everyone's locals on 121 or 105 along with internationals, do these satellites cover the entire country. .... (lets say your locals are on 105, but the international channels are on 121, what do you do install two SuperDishes?)

Yup. They have and they will. DPP44 switches and two big ol' dishes.

I realize this is all speculation at this point, but I can't think of a single person I know with Dish who'd be interested in having a 2nd dish of any type installed.

There are a ton of us out here that have two dishes. One for 110-119 and the other for 61.5 or 148. Not a problem here. :D

You know a ton is a measure of mass/weight not of quantity;)

Ok sorry I just got really board and felt like saying that :)

BFG said:
You know a ton is a measure of mass/weight not of quantity;)

Ok sorry I just got really board and felt like saying that :)

I'm pretty bored too.

:neener A ton is a measure of weight, a result of gravity's interaction with mass. A ton on the moon is more massive than a ton on the earth. Let's not get too loose with our words here. ;)

Well, a ton is also a measure of quantity - a count of pounds. 2000 of them here in the states. ;)

As for DishSatUser's idea, it won't fly for many reasons. I've already posted my ideas for how to handle it.

If they had all this set up when they started I think the perfect set up would've been this:

61.5 East Locals
105 HDTV
110 PPV, RSNs, and Other Specialties
119 Core Programming
121 International
148 West Locals
157 West Locals

Maybe they could still have that other satellite put to 72 as VoOm was going to do and have a lot of HD content available there or at least have the 61.5 space which means another small dish to get LOTS of HD at this time until they get some more space closer to the core slot.

Perhaps a lot more "compelling" HD content will be available later this year for Dish to add once the space and plan is available.

BFG said:
If they had all this set up when they started I think the perfect set up would've been this:

61.5 East Locals
148 West Locals

i don't know if this would work. alot of people do want locals, but not two dishes. it would not bother alot of people on this site, but the majority of their subscirbers would not want two dishes, in my opinion.

I went into HD with two dishes. Doesn't bother me much. I'm a pretty average guy with a four year old HDTV set and two DISH 6000's.