I think I got the best HD deal as a new DirecTV customer

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Jac, I think I mentioned to you that I had recently ordered (for shipping only) a new HRseries receiver. Well it came today, and I was pleasantly suprised to see that it was a new HR-20 and not the 21.

Good for you.

While I still prefer the built-in OTA tuner, I am not as worried as before, since I don't need OTA from D* for now with E* side by side, and a few months later when needed the OTA module will be available.

Interesting thing was I was at our local Costco the other day, noticed the HR21 stock there had gone down a lot after the price drop, but the lone HR20 was still there. Apparently the Costco sales guy there had been tell everyone to get the "black box" because it is a new model, the "white box" is out-dated.

I don't mind him continue to do so to reserve that "white box" for me a month later:)

On second thought, I am not going to hold my breadth. From now to that time, there bound to be a smart bulb or two that will go in there and light up that "white box" for himself:)

Last edited:
Well, I was told by the install company that they don't have the Single Wire Multswitch in stock.

I take it they will charge extra to wall fish an extra coax line to each of my 3 locations?

Well, I was told by the install company that they don't have the Single Wire Multswitch in stock.

I take it they will charge extra to wall fish an extra coax line to each of my 3 locations?

Did you see the post that D*'s discontinued the SWM5 and currently targets the SWM8 only for MDU installs? The good news is that there will be a new slimline dish coming that has a SWM8 built into it, but no availbility date known. So it's either go wall fishes (IIRC it's $70 a line but maybe your installer will be nice or get D* go issue you some credits) or wait for the new dish. Sorry.

I may end up doing it myself tonight when I get home.

If I do that I might as well wall fish some Cat5 too.

Good plan on the cat5 also, that way you'll be able to use the media share and DoD functions, and hopefully soon MVR.

I've been wanting to get our PS3 on the wired network (it's wireless connection SUCKS) anyway.

I like the idea of Cat5e in every room of our house.

I just went the cheap way. Builder installed cat5 for phone, I just split off two pair for ethernet, works just fine at 100Mbps, no need for gig.

Depending on location, wall fish may not be as hard as it sounds. Good luck with your plan.

Now when can we get that new SWM8 dish!

The location I plan for my D* HDDVR would have my E* 622 side by side, but since the SWM is out of question, I may have to retire the 622 to my HT room so I have both cables for the D* HDDVR. I don't want any more holes drilled.

I hope the new SWM8 dish comes in time for the total switch from E* to D* in 6 months, or when I can get up to 3 more D* HDDVRs for free, whichever comes first:)

Rad, is it true that even with just one cable the HR2x will still work, just only one tuner can be used. If so I may unplug one cable after the install and connect my 622 still. So I can still do A/B comparison between the two, after that I can move the 622 out and put the HR2x to full function.

Rad, is it true that even with just one cable the HR2x will still work, just only one tuner can be used. If so I may unplug one cable after the install and connect my 622 still. So I can still do A/B comparison between the two, after that I can move the 622 out and put the HR2x to full function.

Yes, you can use just one cable, just make sure you HR20 powers up with only the one cable connected. You might need to do a reset if it thinks there are two connected.

You can also cheat and diplex an OTA feed on the sat line, just make sure the BBC is connected after the multiswitch but before the 1st diplexor

dish->switch->BBC->diplexor->diplexor->stb

Yes, you can use just one cable, just make sure you HR20 powers up with only the one cable connected. You might need to do a reset if it thinks there are two connected.

You can also cheat and diplex an OTA feed on the sat line, just make sure the BBC is connected after the multiswitch but before the 1st diplexor

dish->switch->BBC->diplexor->diplexor->stb
I thought the info around the message boards say the SWM eliminates the BBC?

Sounds like a pretty good deal, am pm'ng you for details............Thanks alydar111

Sounds like a pretty good deal, am pm'ng you for details............Thanks alydar111

I saw your PM and did not realize you read this topic.

Check out the "additional $240 discount" thread I opened in the DirecTV General Discussion Thread, be patient and read through it. If still have Qs let me know.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)