I Took The Plunge!

cybertrip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 9, 2005
Mojave Desert
So what was the whole point of this post? It seems to me you got both of them.
The only thing you did wrong is to order the HD-DVD addon for the 360, you should have gotten the 98$ HD-DVD, Stand-alone HD-DVD player > xbox 360 player.
Reason, its much quieter, you don't want hear your 360 when you are watching a movie, a buddy of mine has a 360+ the addon and the 360's make stupid amount of noise, and that disrupts my viewing experience.
If you still have time I would return the addon for the 360 and would get the stand alone player.
Thats my 2 cents.

I have not purchased the HD-DVD yet. However, the $98 HD-DVD player is only capable of 1080i output and the 360 is capable of 1080p with the HDMI adapter.

Oh, and noise... What noise? I only hear noise when I'm playing games and it is loading a level. Otherwise, all I hear is my surround sound.

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
It's ok, just don't do it again. j/k :)

I have to wait a week for my PS3 to be on my doorstep :(
Wal-Mart didn't have it in stock at the store so I ordered online. Now they have it in stock today!!!! :mad:
haha, i wont!

yeah thats usually how it works!

ONUOsFan

SatelliteGuys Pro
Sep 14, 2007
Fishers, IN
I have not purchased the HD-DVD yet. However, the $98 HD-DVD player is only capable of 1080i output and the 360 is capable of 1080p with the HDMI adapter.

I'm too lazy to go and find it just now, but there are plenty of threads around here discussing the fact that this really doesn't make a difference in most (nearly all) cases, and even in the ones where it does, you probably can't tell.

Oh, and noise... What noise? I only hear noise when I'm playing games and it is loading a level. Otherwise, all I hear is my surround sound.

I guess that means you're a lover of "loud, craption movies," as allargon likes to say... :) But most movies do have at least some quiet times in them...

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Many complained of the ps3 being noisy, and I assume some are, my 60gig is very quiet.

Maybe if I had 60" 1080p tv and sat 3ft away from it, Id hear the PS3 :p

Ronnie-

Member of the Year
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Aug 28, 2007
mississippi
I'm too lazy to go and find it just now, but there are plenty of threads around here discussing the fact that this really doesn't make a difference in most (nearly all) cases, and even in the ones where it does, you probably can't tell.

I agree, the difference in minimal in 99.9% of cases

cybertrip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 9, 2005
Mojave Desert
What's next? A flying leap? :D

That's right, a flying leap in to a HR21-700 DirecTV receiver :)

I guess that means you're a lover of "loud, craption movies," as allargon likes to say... :) But most movies do have at least some quiet times in them...

I understand that visually I may not be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. However, I spent money on a 1080p set so I better be able to display a 1080p signal on it!

BTW, the noise on a DVD movie is hardly noticable on my 360 even on a quiet scene. It may also have to do with the fact that there is no silence in my living room. I have two fish tanks, a 55 gallon freshwater and a 100 gallon freshwater.

teamerickson

SatelliteGuys Pro
Jan 20, 2006
El Dorado Hills, CA
I understand that visually I may not be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p. However, I spent money on a 1080p set so I better be able to display a 1080p signal on it!
It will display a 1080p signal but if it accepts a true 1080p signal is another matter. There are many 1080p TVs that don't accept the 1080p signal. I hope yours it not one of them.

Do you have a HD DVD player?

IcEWoLF

SatelliteGuys Master
Lifetime Supporter
Dec 31, 2006
Nevada
Well I supposed everyone has their own opinion, I just don't like noise when I watch movies, my PS3 is always quiet when I play the movies or even games, can't say the same for my 360, it sounds like a jet engine going off, so far its been good to me, If I could go back few years ago I'd probably would have waited for the new 360's, I believe they don't make as much noise as the older ones.
Anyways by no means other than the noise the HD-DVD addon for the 360 its a good piece of equipment.

cybertrip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 9, 2005
Mojave Desert
My TV should be able to accept a 1080p signal as the native resolution of the TV is 1920x1080 and I just bought it in January.

No HD-DVD yet :(

cybertrip

SatelliteGuys Pro
Oct 9, 2005
Mojave Desert
If your not 100% postitive, check with Samsung.

Why are you displaying format neutral if you don't own both?

It is 100% 1080p compatible and capable. I know that for a fact.
Do I have to own both format players to be neutral? I think I've spent enough money for Xmas so I'm going to wait on the HD-DVD for a little while. IMO they serve the same function to me. They both output video at Hi Res Progressive Scan. They both have impressive sound quality. The amount of data they hold may be different, however, I'm not concerned about that right now. When more BD and HD-DVD drives come out for the PC then I will probably be more choosy. Right now, let them fight. The more they fight, the lower the prices drop. The technology is not mature enough on either side for me to make a decision. There are no obvious quality differences like the Beta vs VHS war. IMO Beta should have won that battle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts