I want to swap a 4k Mini Genie for a Wireless Mini - DTV says no

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hokie74

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 24, 2008
I switched back to DirecTV last summer. I had a 4K system installed but I have been extremely disappointed with 4K for several reasons. First is the lack of programming in 4K. It's pretty much a joke. Second, 4K is only available on the Mini Genie and not the main box. Third the 4K Mini is only available in a wired version.

I called DirecTV to ask about swapping my 4K Mini for a wireless Mini. I know I would have to buy a wireless bridge to add at the switch. They said they would not do that. The only option they gave me was to add a wireless Mini at $7/mo, pay $99 for the wireless bridge, and $99 for the wireless system setup (which I am perfectly capable of doing myself).

This is ridiculous. Is it worth calling again to try another CSR?

Update. I ried
I think you could just buy one on eBay and activate it without calling Directv since it only requires a pin to activate
Are you saying if I purchase my own wireless mini and wireless bridge there is no monthly fee from DTV?

Update: I tried chat and they said they would come out Friday and do the exchange of the 4K mini for the wireless mini at no charge. I am skeptical because I know the wireless bridge is $99 from DTV. I kept a copy of the chat for what it is worth.

Reactions: Jimbo
Update. I ried

Are you saying if I purchase my own wireless mini and wireless bridge there is no monthly fee from DTV?

Update: I tried chat and they said they would come out Friday and do the exchange of the 4K mini for the wireless mini at no charge. I am skeptical because I know the wireless bridge is $99 from DTV. I kept a copy of the chat for what it is worth.

If your Genie is an HS17 you don't need a WVB. If you do need a WVB buy it from eBay - likely will cost much less than the $99 Directv would charge. Since those are owned equipment, anyone who leaves Directv can sell theirs so I'd think there would be a lot of them available.

If your Genie is an HS17 you don't need a WVB. If you do need a WVB buy it from eBay - likely will cost much less than the $99 Directv would charge. Since those are owned equipment, anyone who leaves Directv can sell theirs so I'd think there would be a lot of them available.
The Genie is an HR54 so I'm sure I need the wireless bridge.

Update. I ried

No. But you can replace your existing c61k this way.

I read the first post 3 times.
I dont understand.
Why are you want a Wireless Geni over the 4K genie?
I thought the wired Genies are more reliable in that there never is a drop out from Radio interference from Wifi, plus the 4K genie is faster
And the 4K genie can be made into a normal HD Genie by just forcing the resolution to 1080P

I ask as I was thinking of getting a 4K Genie in my new install to future proof it, I will be getting my first 4K months after the install and I dont want them roll and chargeme for an other truck roll to put a 4K in

Ideas?

I read the first post 3 times.
I dont understand.
Why are you want a Wireless Geni over the 4K genie?
I thought the wired Genies are more reliable in that there never is a drop out from Radio interference from Wifi, plus the 4K genie is faster
And the 4K genie can be made into a normal HD Genie by just forcing the resolution to 1080P

I ask as I was thinking of getting a 4K Genie in my new install to future proof it, I will be getting my first 4K months after the install and I dont want them roll and chargeme for an other truck roll to put a 4K in

Ideas?
The answer is easy. I have a wall mounted TV in the family room and the wife hates the visible wire. The builder in his infinite wisdom put the cable jack to the right of the fireplace near the floor even though he put a 120 volt outlet above the fireplace where the TV is mounted. So my choices with any kind of wired box are either to run a coax or an HDMI cable down from the TV to where the cable outlet is. I have everything else hidden behind the TV including all the power cables, Roku box etc.

I've tried to get another coax fished in the wall behind the TV but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

I originally had a wireless bridge and a wireless mini installed when I got DirecTV and they worked fine. I decided to try 4K so I gave up the wireless mini in exchange. My wife has complained about the wire for six months it's got to go.

I would have gladly kept the 4K mini if it weren't for the issue with the cable.

DTV is coming tomorrow to do the swap on the Genie Minis at no charge. You just have to be persistent and keep using the CS chat until you get the right person.

My swap on the Genie mini's went OK. The box and HDMI cable are now tucked behind the TV. The wife is happy.

I found out something I didn't know. Apparently the favorite channel lists for the mini are stored in the Genie and not the client. The new wireless mini came up with all the favorites already programmed. I was anticipating going through that effort again.

Reactions: Jimbo
My swap on the Genie mini's went OK. The box and HDMI cable are now tucked behind the TV. The wife is happy.

I found out something I didn't know. Apparently the favorite channel lists for the mini are stored in the Genie and not the client. The new wireless mini came up with all the favorites already programmed. I was anticipating going through that effort again.
The minis simply borrow a tuner from the Genie.

I suggest you keep that copy until you're positive the charge won't come up - and possibly a little while after that. I upgraded to the 4K equipment when it first became available. I tried doing the upgrade over the phone. I knew what equipment I needed, but the phone reps were totally clueless - I'm guessing partially because it was brand new, and partially because the merger with AT&T had just finished and it kept sending me to AT&T reps instead of DTV reps no matter what I did. I finally contacted them via the DTV Facebook page. In the chat they said I was correct in what equipment I needed, they would do the upgrade, and it would be with no commitment because of all the troubles I'd been having trying to get the upgrade. When we moved into our current house (almost 2 years ago now) we had gigabit fiber available from AT&T, and I decided to dump DTV for DTV Now streaming rather than transfer DTV over. When I called to cancel the rep told me that I was under contract and there would be an ETF. I insisted that I wasn't under a contract, and mentioned that I was going to be switching to DTV Now (thinking that it would help that I was staying with the company, but on a different product). He put me on hold for a minute, saying he was going to speak with a supervisor. When he came back he said the supervisor had given the OK to waive the ETF. What happened next? I got a bill with an ETF on it. I then contacted DTV through Facebook again, and mentioned that I had been told via Facebook chat that there was no commitment with the equipment upgrade. They were kind of bitchy/snarky and told me to send a screenshot of the chat. Luckily I had saved it! Sent them the requested screenshot, and they immediately issued a bill credit in the amount of the ETF.

They don’t have to. I suspect when the client was set up the install the tech copied the settings from the genie. They can have independent channel lists

They don’t have to. I suspect when the client was set up the install the tech copied the settings from the genie. They can have independent channel lists
Yes, you are correct. I watched the tech set up the mini and he selected replacement during the setup. I am sure that's why the favorites list was preserved.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts