I Was This Close To Jumping Ship...

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Galoot

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 14, 2008
I've been antsy lately and came close to going back to Time Warner this week. After more than a year of knocking little bits from my programming (cutting out HBO and Showtime, tiering down to Dish America and one HD receiver, Blockbuster At Home) I'm at a price point I'm comfortable with. I bundle with Windstream for Dish, internet and phone and am topping out around $155 a month. Time Warner seemed to offer a similar bundle for less. They have more of the basic channels I gave up by going with Dish America.

We've been supplementing with Netflix streaming and the BB one dvd at home. We have a Roku for the bedroom television.

Last night I logged in to Dish and found I could get HBO for half price for six months. I watch a lot of their shows and after some thought, knuckled down and went for the offer. To offset the cost, we dropped the Blockbuster At Home. I figure if we really want DVD's quicker Redbox and Family Video will do the trick.

So...I'm sticking with Dish, at least through the winter. Once the HBO is out again I should have caught up with my shows. I can always go back to BB@home if need be.

The one downside to the change last night was that the programming change occurred when my wife was watching a Hallmark Movie Channel film. Now I'm going to catch some hell..

Just in case you weren't aware of it, HBO subscribers can access nearly all of HBO's catalog on demand through the receiver (or online via Roku or HBO Go's website).

Oh yeah! I knew about it through the DVR (already booking viewings of True Blood, Game Of Thrones and Eastbound And Down). Didn't even think about Roku! Very cool...

I just dug a little deeper and found I could add Heartland package for $5/mo. So, all in all, I lost BB@Home and the extra channels. Gained HBO and the On-demand for HBO and made my wife happy. I'm paying $3 more a month. Small price.

That's how they getcha.
I wouldn't say that. Dish is great at allowing the customer to customize their package more than Directv allows. You can go on the cheap with 120+ or Latino Dos, and still get Premiums or concentrate on other entertainment options through Dish. You may end up paying the same as you would for Top 200, but you can get more of what you actually want to watch. That is Dish's advantage over Directv.

I wouldn't say that. Dish is great at allowing the customer to customize their package more than Directv allows. You can go on the cheap with 120+ or Latino Dos, and still get Premiums or concentrate on other entertainment options through Dish. You may end up paying the same as you would for Top 200, but you can get more of what you actually want to watch. That is Dish's advantage over Directv.
I was only applying one old consumer's expression to another old salesman's expression. I shoulda thrown a smilie at the end.

I've been antsy lately and came close to going back to Time Warner this week. After more than a year of knocking little bits from my programming (cutting out HBO and Showtime, tiering down to Dish America and one HD receiver, Blockbuster At Home) I'm at a price point I'm comfortable with. I bundle with Windstream for Dish, internet and phone and am topping out around $155 a month. Time Warner seemed to offer a similar bundle for less. They have more of the basic channels I gave up by going with Dish America.

We've been supplementing with Netflix streaming and the BB one dvd at home. We have a Roku for the bedroom television.

Last night I logged in to Dish and found I could get HBO for half price for six months. I watch a lot of their shows and after some thought, knuckled down and went for the offer. To offset the cost, we dropped the Blockbuster At Home. I figure if we really want DVD's quicker Redbox and Family Video will do the trick.

So...I'm sticking with Dish, at least through the winter. Once the HBO is out again I should have caught up with my shows. I can always go back to BB@home if need be.

The one downside to the change last night was that the programming change occurred when my wife was watching a Hallmark Movie Channel film. Now I'm going to catch some hell..
Wow only thru winter? Now thats loyality! On any given month the programming and offers will change per provider. and one day you may find Dish is ahead of the game, then your name will be in the data base with both companies as "no loyality" I have been with Dish for over 15 years and never once regretted it. Back in the day we were happy to have any programming. While you are at it , why dont you give the wife DTV and you can have Dish? There you go!!

Wow only thru winter? Now thats loyality! On any given month the programming and offers will change per provider. and one day you may find Dish is ahead of the game, then your name will be in the data base with both companies as "no loyality" I have been with Dish for over 15 years and never once regretted it. Back in the day we were happy to have any programming. While you are at it , why dont you give the wife DTV and you can have Dish? There you go!!

Good on you!

Since moving to my current home 11 years ago:

I started with Time Warner Cable and stuck with it for two years.

I moved to Dish for 3 years.

Needed to save money and went with a TW package for a year.

I've been back with Dish ever since.

Wow only thru winter? Now thats loyality! On any given month the programming and offers will change per provider. and one day you may find Dish is ahead of the game, then your name will be in the data base with both companies as "no loyality"
Loyalty? They're a service vendor, not a family member. It's a business relationship, not a squad in a foxhole.

I have been with Dish for over 15 years and never once regretted it.
In that same period of time, I've been with Dish, Comcast, and Uverse, each one more than once.

Back in the day we were happy to have any programming.
Plus, you had to walk uphill 5 miles just to watch TV
While you are at it , why dont you give the wife DTV and you can have Dish? There you go!!
That's just dumb.

GaryPen said:
Loyalty? They're a service vendor, not a family member. It's a business relationship, not a squad in a foxhole.

In that same period of time, I've been with Dish, Comcast, and Uverse, each one more than once.

That's just dumb.

There are posters on here who act like their service providers are their brothers and defend them and attack you if you dare say anything negative about their "brother". I am satisfied at the moment with my Dish service, and love this site, but their are 4 or 5 posters here who are corporate nut huggers.

Sorry for the rant, I'll return to the sports section, now.

Sent from my iPad using SatelliteGuys

There are posters on here who act like their service providers are their brothers and defend them and attack you if you dare say anything negative about their "brother". I am satisfied at the moment with my Dish service, and love this site, but their are 4 or 5 posters here who are corporate nut huggers.

You must be thinking of Directv subscribers. No true Dish Network subscriber would ever do that. :D

That's just dumb.

You guys are so right! I went from an iPhone to a Razr Maxx and you would of thought I killed Steve Jobs. My brother in law acts like Apple is the second coming of Christ. The truth is I liked my iPhone but I wanted a bigger screen, LTE and I wanted to customize my phone without having to hack it. I waited to see what the next model from the 4 would be like and I wasn't happy with the 4S. So god forbid I use an Android phone. I got everything I wanted and I'm happy. If Apple makes a better phone were I can customize and all that I will jump back. Geez it's just a phone. Just like it's just TV service.

I was afraid I would get the same crap when I decided to jump to Dish from Direct. Thank goodness everyone here has been helpful and answered all my questions.

True, just as there are a handful of posters that are quick to bash a service provider on every little turn, whether deserved or not.

I'd say it all evens out in the end, but actually it just exponentiates the annoying noise around here. :(

There are posters on here who act like their service providers are their brothers and defend them and attack you if you dare say anything negative about their "brother".

Me and my Uncle Charlie take exception to that...........

A little off the deep end again, Gary.
WTF are you talking about now? Nothing I've written in this thread is off the deep end. In fact, the following handful of posts after my most recent one appear to be positive followups. So, please explain which post you are referring to, what part of that post is off the deep end, and why you think it is such.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)