I Went On a Shopping Spree.. Woohoo

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Chief Twit

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 7, 2009
Southwestern Ontario
So I did a little shopping today and got myself an Invacom QPH-031, a SG2100 motor, and a 39" dish. Cant wait till I get it set up but I hope I didn't bite off more then I could chew.

A friend of mine is going to lend me a Pansat 3500S until I get myself a receiver. Hopefully this receiver will be easy to use for the first timer like me. :eek:

It'll be fun (is this your first fta project?)
Post some pics when you get going, we'll help with the details, if you need it.
Welcome in , I see you only have 12 posts here.

Yeah... This is my first FTA project and I am going to need all the help I can get... lol. This is going to be my project for next weekend (Weather permitting) and I will definitely post some progress pics:)

Hey, You bought some good stuff!....
Like Turbosat said, Take some pics...Would love to see the final result.
BTW- Welcome to Satelliteguys.us!

My wife was laughing when she saw the size of the dish but Im glad that she was in a good mood today because I would still be looking at pics of the equipment I just bought if she wasn't... I kid. My wife is really supportive of my new hobby.

Welcome to the world of FTA! You will find quickly that the hobby is very addictive.

My wife is very supportive of my hobby as well. She's the one who found me my FREE C-Band dish, and was supportive of me putting it up in our postage-stamp sized back yard :)

... got myself an Invacom QPH-031, a SG2100 motor, and a 39" dish.
A friend of mine is going to lend me a Pansat 3500S ...
That's a dandy shopping list! - :up
Looking forward so some good results and pictures.
We're always here if/when ya need help. :)

edit:
Oh, and by the way, feel free to set up the dish on a pole in your back yard (easy access) at first.
And without the motor.
Arrange to locate the Pansat and a monitor out there, too! ;)
You may need time and experience to master the receiver and dish-aiming, before progressing to motor alignment.

Beware some vendors ship a clone of the QPH-031.

My wife was laughing when she saw the size of the dish but Im glad that she was in a good mood today because I would still be looking at pics of the equipment I just bought if she wasn't... I kid. My wife is really supportive of my new hobby.

i bought the same stuff for my first motorized setup. after i set it up i was sold. i just bought a 4ft dish to replace the 1m channel master i modded that replaced the 39" original. haha. and i setup a 9ft spun and a 10 ft mesh. haha. i hope your wife is ready. its a fun hobby for sure. if you go slow and pay attention its easy to aim that setup. post pics when you get it up. if i was you id start selling her on a 10 ft dish now.

crackt out,.

Since you need your own receiver, look on ebay for the Coolsat 5000/6000 models. They should be pretty reasonable ( About $30 +_shipping). They'd be a great first acquisition. The Fortec's , Coosats, and Pansats are your most likely first candidates.
:)

The unfortunate thing is, I can't install anything bigger then a 39" dish as I live in a townhome complex.. I have no room for a c/ku band setup.. My Wife and I are looking into buying a house in the new year though:D

Yeah you dont wanna push it.....also your location doesnt help either (SW Ontario)

Here in the states you can have a 1m dish and are protected from Associations and their rules. Canada doesnt have that "luxury" for consumers.

But once you get the house, you'll want a 6 or 8 footer ;)

what you are really looking for is a clear southerly LOS. ;)
That's the plan... Just not going to let the wife know that.. lol

BTW.. In the City of London (Where I live) there are certain areas of the city where C-band dishes are allowed.. Mostly older parts of the city

BTW.. In the City of London (Where I live) there are certain areas of the city where C-band dishes are allowed.. Mostly older parts of the city

Hi Chief,

I checked with the City of London earlier in the year. (I still have the email from the City of London Zoning person if you'd like to see it) They have no restrictions against antennas, which to me also means that dishes are OK. I put up my big dish in my back yard a couple years ago. None of the neighbours have complained, and I'm in a fairly new sub-division (about 10 to 12 years old).

Interesting... I was told different by the city. Mind you, it was a couple yeas ago when I requested info.. I guess the zoning rules have changed..

Thanks for the info Davage :)

Hey Chief,

Have you got the dish up and running yet? The weather has been FANTASTIC lately for the install. I was just outside during lunch today. Perfect satellite dish installing weather.

I'll be setting it up on Sunday as its my day off.. I work nights so Sunday is the only day that I can do it. It looks like its going to be a nice day on sunday according to the weather network:up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts