I work in retentions for DirecTV.. ask me anything you want to know

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I would assume most would be in Spanish, but I don't know for certain. Call and ask specifically about the Latin American package.

Well, I can't speak for the AT&T wing of the company, but asking for customer loyalty group gets you to the states for DirecTV.

Im on suspension right now for moving. I have a large number of receivers, 13. When I call in to re-connect what kind of things should I be asking or looking to ask for in the conversation? Should I call retention, tech support, movers etc?

The account is out of contract as a side note. Also I am a long time sunday ticker subscriber, dont get the extra sports channels which would be nice to have...

Dont get any of the 500 channels ie HBO-Cinemax-Starz...Which I dont care for!

BTW, how many receivers did you see on an account-residental :) ? just wondering?

Thanks!

Customer here since 1996. Just got Sunday Ticket Max free for 6th year in a row. persistence pays off.
What's your approach ? Threaten to leave ? I'm in year 6 of my service and need it free this year , have paid every other year except the 1st of course.

Im on suspension right now for moving. I have a large number of receivers, 13. When I call in to re-connect what kind of things should I be asking or looking to ask for in the conversation? Should I call retention, tech support, movers etc?

The account is out of contract as a side note. Also I am a long time sunday ticker subscriber, dont get the extra sports channels which would be nice to have...

Dont get any of the 500 channels ie HBO-Cinemax-Starz...Which I dont care for!

BTW, how many receivers did you see on an account-residental :) ? just wondering?

Thanks!

I would take myself out of suspension, wait a week, and then call and speak with retention. For whatever reason, you tend to get nothing if you try to get a retention deal fresh out of suspension.

I was offered the HBO free for a year when I called Directv last week. I turned it down because I didn't want to switch my cell phone service to AT&T.
That may have been thier ploy to get you to change to att cell service, what happens if you already have att cell service ?

What's your approach ? Threaten to leave ? I'm in year 6 of my service and need it free this year , have paid every other year except the 1st of course.
I start calling around April asking for it. usually the first call is just to say that I've been a customer for 21 years and throw me a bone type thing. Then in June I call and ask for ST for free I say that If you can't comp it again that I might as well take the local cable company's deal and just go to the sports bar to watch my game. After a transfer to retention they'll put me on hold for about 2 mins. and come back and say I think we can do that for you. So yes I threaten to leave. I don't get upset, I just tell them my internet provider is offering me a great deal for tv. They want to keep customers. They'll work with you.

lol i was with dtv for 20 some years and in no way a pain in the a$$. bills paid on time etc.... but when i called for a comparison to what V offered that would not come close to matching. i canceled and they never sent me up to retention, 3 days later D calls and offers the world to me but my deal with V was done. i can tell you i don't regret leaving dtv.

i'm not here to slam D, but if u have the opportunity to switch you may want to give it a try.

i miss dtv old customer service but i don't miss the tv fade outs or snow cleaning.

I called today to cancel, was offered $45 a month off 12 months or $60 with a contract for 12 months. Just flat up cancelled. Got an X1 with Xfinity, same stations as Directv (although a couple of the kids ones are in SD like nick jr and disney jr but doesn't bother me or my kid) including 75mbs blast and Starz for 1 year $49.99. First bill rolled and with all taxes and fees I'm looking at $62.81. Once the 12 months is up it goes to $95 including all taxes and fees. Even the regular price is good, much less getting a handout from retentions after the contract is up.

Steal. Cable companies are hungry. Fortunately I have AT&T fiber here as well so if Xfinity gets crazy I'll go promo to promo for internet and just get Vue. I was tempted to just do Vue but it isn't worth it with the cable price so low.

As for quality, the xfininty service here HD wise is good quality. The x1 is good as well. Compared to the genie there are things I love and dislike about both boxes. They both get the job done about equally well in the end. The price? I don't think can be beaten.

The xfinity app is also light years ahead of the directv one as far as content available and I'm zero rated for data at home which means the kids can ondeman or app away without issue.

So long D* for now. Was a good run but you're just too pricey.

Last edited:
I called today to cancel, was offered $45 a month off 12 months or $60 with a contract for 12 months. Just flat up cancelled. Got an X1 with Xfinity, same stations as Directv (although a couple of the kids ones are in SD like nick jr and disney jr but doesn't bother me or my kid) including 75mbs blast and Starz for 1 year $49.99. First bill rolled and with all taxes and fees I'm looking at $62.81. Once the 12 months is up it goes to $105 including all taxes and fees. Even the regular price is good, much less getting a handout from retentions after the contract is up.

Steal. Cable companies are hungry. Fortunately I have AT&T fiber here as well so if Xfinity gets crazy I'll go promo to promo for internet and just get Vue. I was tempted to just do Vue but it isn't worth it with the cable price so low.

As for quality, the xfininty service here HD wise is good quality. The x1 is good as well. Compared to the genie there are things I love and dislike about both boxes. They both get the job done about equally well in the end. The price? I don't think can be beaten.

The xfinity app is also light years ahead of the directv one as far as content available and I'm zero rated for data at home which means the kids can ondeman or app away without issue.

So long D* for now. Was a good run but you're just too pricey.
It might too late, but you should be aware that all Comcast channels other than local broadcast stations are sent via 720p/60. When they did their conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4 they also down-rezzed all the 1080i channels to 720p.

Reactions: TermiNader
It might too late, but you should be aware that all Comcast channels other than local broadcast stations are sent via 720p/60. When they did their conversion from MPEG2 to MPEG4 they also down-rezzed all the 1080i channels to 720p.

60fps is great and 720p vs 1080i are similar enough that I couldn't care less.

I ran them side by side the last 2 weeks and at least here the quality differences are negligible but there are differences.

They do have fewer pay stations in HD that Directv. If I subbed those I'd care more but I don't.

Few stations like Nickjr and Disney JR are not in HD. Kids don't mind, neither do I but that is different.

Everything that I watch is in HD and what most people would watch. The quality on most of those are pretty tit for tat with D*. Close enough that most people probably wouldn't care if any difference. Sd is obviously much improved compared to D* but who cares about that?

X1 vs Genie is also pretty tit for tat.

They both have issues with a hang up or graphics glitches from time to time. I think the x1 is more consistent speed wise but not perfect.

They feel pretty similar in function. Start program over when you select it late from the guide, record options are similar etc. They don't have multiple listings in the x1 for long recordings like D* which is nice.

I think the x1 has a better search for sure and xfinity has much better on demand options in addition to the phone app which is superior. D* has slightly faster animations on the genie which is a slight advantage and one less button press for my shows which was nice. X1 has better skipping options and the fast forward works better for me, faster as well. I like 15second and 30 second skip back options in addition to the regular 30 second skip. X1 has a better guide (more hours) and better look / presentation of information. The advertisements in the guide are also far fewer and much less obnoxious.

Really though they are pretty even DVR wise for the most part. There are differences but honestly either should work well for just about anyone.

The xfinity app is really nice and I have full access to my dvr while away and all my shows. Very high speed. Works much better and smoother than the directv app. Also zero rated so kids can use the app and Rokus etc without worry.

On demand there is no comparison. D* on demand sucks comparatively.

Price, also no comparison. We'll see how that goes in the future but I'll gladly drop xfinity for Vue or Sling or Hulu etc. Plenty of options. I think the days of paying $145-160 a month for just TV (no pay stations) are quickly coming to a close and D* better enjoy it while it lasts because competition is starting to ramp up. If they ever lose Sunday ticket they'll really be screwed.

Last edited:
Hello

I have been a DirecTV customer since 1994

currently my Slim 5 dish is on the roof and at the last service call (I have protection plan) the installer told me they will not support my dish because they are not allowed to climb: but he left me no alternatives: I have HR54, SWM 16 etc

now I want to reroof and would like to have a new dish (with newest LNB's) installed in a location that will be supported, but I don't know how to get it done? calling DirecTV these days is a nightmare

can you tell me how to proceed? will they do this for me? is there a charge?

tia

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)