ice storm

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jhump

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 4, 2005
We had a major ice storm in Ohio and I have been unable to watch Direct Tv for two days. It just keeps saying finding satelite signal. Any suggestions? There is no way I can get on the roof to get the ice off. Its way to slippery.

Not to much you can do if you can't get up there to get the ice off of the dish. That is the reason I have mine pole mounted. I was able to knock the ice off my dish in just a matter of a minute or two the other day. The dish had about 1/2" of ice on it when I cleared it off.

can I throw a ball or something at it? There is no way I can reach it without getting on a latter or climbing on the roof from my deck. This sucks. I pay for something I can't watch. I don't want to call direct they will charge me.

can I throw a ball or something at it? There is no way I can reach it without getting on a latter or climbing on the roof from my deck. This sucks. I pay for something I can't watch. I don't want to call direct they will charge me.

Even if you called Directv, I bet they would do nothing right now. No techs in their right mind would risk injury to try to clear the dish of the ice. Your best bet is to just see if you can reach it with a pole or something and lightly try to know the ice off. You also don't want to do anything major as you might move the dish and then you are really screwed until somebody can realign the dish.

I guess I am pretty screwed then. Its pretty far up on the roof. Its going to take on hell of a pole to reach it.

If you can get a pole long enough, you could try tying a hair dryer to it. Maybe then you could melt the ice

well maybe we will finally have a sunny day tomorrow and I will have mother nature take care of my problem. As long as its fixed by sunday for the superbowl.

my father in Cincinnati was dealing with the same problem, with the big 5 lnb dish. He got the idea to take a whack at it with the hose, and he got most of the ice off. The dish was completely useless with a thick layer of ice on it though, which definitely surprised me. I've had tons of snow accumulation on a dish and not had it crap out on me like his did. Once he hit it with the hose, he's back in the mid 90's for most TPs, so I guess it worked.

I just hook up my garden hose. A couple of hard jets of water will crack the ice and it just falls right off. Remember, of course, to unhook the hose as soon as you are done or your pipes will freeze.

It wasn't my idea but the super soaker loaded with either de-icer fluid or very hot water works well. Besides the super soaker, they make a water cannon that looks like a giant syringe that loads one giant 'shot' of fluid that will carry 35 feet or so. Both will knock snow & ice off your dish.

Water Cannon: Stream Machine - Hydrobolic Water Launcher - Water Specialties Ties Inc. Medford, Oregon Around $20.

Not to much you can do if you can't get up there to get the ice off of the dish. That is the reason I have mine pole mounted. I was able to knock the ice off my dish in just a matter of a minute or two the other day. The dish had about 1/2" of ice on it when I cleared it off.
We had 3" of ice here in Southern Missouri. Now, that was hard to get off! I was without electricity for 2 days. I was able to sleep thru the 10 degree nights, but it sucked not having sat tv!

my father in Cincinnati was dealing with the same problem, with the big 5 lnb dish. He got the idea to take a whack at it with the hose, and he got most of the ice off. The dish was completely useless with a thick layer of ice on it though, which definitely surprised me. I've had tons of snow accumulation on a dish and not had it crap out on me like his did. Once he hit it with the hose, he's back in the mid 90's for most TPs, so I guess it worked.

I am also in Cincy, what area are you in?

The weather has been super here, lol. Lucky for me just like your case I have had no issues with my signal but my dish is on a pole next to the house just in case. When my mother made the upgrade to the slimline we mounted it in the back yard just for weather like this. She was able to walk out back and clean the dish off after the storm, lol.

Bill

I'm just south of Dayton and have been out since Wednesday's snow/ice. 1 of my TV's picks up the local channels, but nothing else. My dish is also roof mounted and I'm not brave enough to attempt to clean it. I wrapped a towell around a 16' tree pruner (quite a sight) last night and was able to clear the snow off. I believe that the major problem is ice on the LNB's. Removing the snow did increase my signal strength on some, but I'm still pretty much out. Forecast is for mid 40's on Sunday, so hopefully everything will melt before the SuperBowl.

I do like the idea of trying super soaker squirt gun.

The gun is good but if you can get your hands on that cannon it's money. It shoots a 1/2 diameter bead of water 35yds & will knock everything off when loaded with de-icer.

mine is pole mounted, had to clear it about 3 times... my parents is on the roof so i told dad to load up a super soaker I had from my childhood in the basement with de-icer... worked like a champ

I had to beat the ice off mine with a hammer 3 times myself in order to watch tv.

While I am glad that I don't have ice on my dish, this whole process just sounds like a hell of a lot of fun! Waterguns?! Poisonous fluids?! Cannons?! What a great day...

I got on a ladder and banged it with the serious end of a broom! That was after a failed launch of a bucket of hot water from ground zero to about 18 feet up. Almost made it there. Kids thought it was hysterical!

Last edited:
If you can get a pole long enough, you could try tying a hair dryer to it. Maybe then you could melt the ice

Funny but that is EXACTLY what I did yesterday. I had SD reception but most HD was gone (searching for...) I found the smallest hairdryer my wife had (and she has like 8) and taped it to the end of (no exaggeration) three 6 foot flagpoles and stood on a ladder at a relatively safe height for about 10 minutes. I'm an idiot, BUT it worked. The LNB were fine but I had ice accretion on one side. I still have some and only about 65% on the 103 bird... but no problems. I like the supersoaker idea.. and I even have one but I also have a very curious dog and didn't want to take a chance with that. :up

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)