Idiot's Guide for CS8000??

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bassist

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
South Carolina
I've searched sat guys for a couple days off & on (ok more "off") & I cannot find the Idiot's Guide to the CS8000 written by one of this forum's members (?) which I thought I spotted here on Sat Guys. I just acquired a CS8000 & have just begun to fiddle with it.

If someone could post a link to this (if it exists) I'd sure appreciate it:eek:

I haven't heard of that post, but I have a couple CS8000's . What kind of info do you need ?
:)

Preliminary Short list:
1) How to navigate w/ the remote to get to the point of being able to add and edit TP's.
2) How to tell which modulation type to select when scanning.
3) How to add or edit vpids, apids.

1) There are two places to add or edit tp's.
a. In the Dish satellite setup screen Menu > Dish to get there. Select the Satellite with the right or left arrow, the move down one with the down arrow to "Transponder". Right arrow once to tp list, and arrow up once to New TS . Hit OK . At this point you can add the pertinent information on the new transponder.
b. 2d method to add or edit tp's is using Transponder edit screen. Menu > Dish > right arrow> right arrow . Bottom selection is transponder edit, highlight it and hit OK. Now go up or down the list with the arrow keys until you highlight the sat you want to edit, then arrow right to the tp list. Highlight the tp you want to edit, or simply hit the red button on remote to add a new tp.

2. Modulation type is something you have to find out about ahead of time, or else you resort to trial and error in the manual scan screen, where you can input all the pertinent parameters, and keeping changing them until you get a lock on quality. Once you have a lock, you can scan in the channels at the current parameters.

3. Manual PID entry is in the manual scan screen . Menu > Manual Scan . Bottom of screen is PID search which defaults to Auto PID . You can select Manual Dec or Manual Hex to enter you PID info , prior to manual scan. I don't know of any way to edit the PID's of existing channels . I simply rescan with the new values , if necessary.
Hope this helps, go to walk the dog !!

Thanks Brent. I will be exercising my thumbs asa I can this evening.

BTW: I was back on the Big Lake this past week. Last Thursday & Friday were spectacular weather-wise!!!

Most every day this summer has been great on the lake. Inland is a different story ! :)
We are one mile from the lake, and generally benefit from it's proximity, it keeps us a little cooler in summer and a little warmer in winter. It's been like living in a rain forest much of the summer this year. Seems to be the case over much of the world .

Ok Brent, here's my next newby question:

Just for practice I added 12055 & the proper SR & I autoscanned 72W for the NBC MUX. No prob; I got the 4 nbc channels. (I guess I'd have to add or edit the other TPs to scan in the other couple of channels on 72W, but who cares.)

Then I goto 91W & enter the proper data to scan for FMC & the NG channels. Again no prob.

Now I have 7 channels scanned in showing from 1 thru 7 on the channel on the screen.

Now when I attempt to go back to the MUX on 72, I see no way of selecting the satellite!!
I hit the FAV key and it shows "all sats" & 91W. When I try to access the all sats to get 72w, the screen briefly flashes but STILL only shows "91W".

(Hitting the FAV button only shows the last sat that was scanned; moreover, the CS8000 automatically assigns the old channels scanned in onto the last sat that was scanned!!)

So how do I change channels between two or more satellites???

Hitting the FAV button on mine brings up the list of satellites, with the current one highlighted. That's the way I select satellites. Are you motorized ? or do you have fixed dishes .
What firmware are you using? You may have to "restore factory defaults" and start over.
You definitely want to be able to select your scanned satellites via the FAV button.
Try scanning 72W again , see if it shows up the second time in the FAV listing.
I can email you firmware is you need it. I'm using hackerware 12060F .
Try some more and see if you get a handle on it.

1) It does have hack-ware on it, 11.???.F. (I'm not at my TV right now so I cannot give a more specific number. I do know that it's in the "11's".)

2) Brent, I like to load on your firmware. I'll PM you my address. Thanks for the offer.

Right now I am literally turning the receiver off & manually switching lines between my KU line & cband line. For the ku line, the 8000 is connected to my CS4000's loop-out, so the 4000 is pointing the motor.

On the cband side the cs8000 is connected directly to the dish.

On the menu, both the motor and the switch options are all "off", in both cases.

Maybe something is happening when I turn the CS8000 off (which I'm doing via the switch on back). On all my other receivers, this doesn't happen.

Brent, I guess I'll need the loader also.

BTW: The present SW does the howling when looking for a lock. But for right now, the high-pitched beeps when a lock is achieved is handy for me. I can see where it'll get old fast though.

If the CS8000 is not running a motor, and your Ku lnbf is a standard lnbf, I think you could put a 22khz switch on the cs8000 , with the 22khz OFF going to the CS4000 loop out, and the 22khz ON going to your C-band lnbf (assuming it doesn't need 22khz switching for anything). You might try that out sometime.

I do have an SW21 that is presently not being used for now.

I turned my DN sub off for the summer to save a few $$$ & b/c most of the stuff I like watch was on FTA. So I'm using my usual "sub" line for my Cband. So this solution will work 'till the CFB starts & I start the DN sub again.

OK, I have the switch installed and the switch is switching.

But I think I've IDed what my problem is, though I really don't know how to get around it.

Whatever satellite gets scanned manually goes to being #1 on the Satellite named list, where there are only the outdated nicknames and no Degree indications. AND every channel that is previously stored AUTOMATICALLY gets sorted into whatever SAT #1 is.

Ex. I've scanned in 23 channels from 91W cband off of 2-3 TPs manually. And 91W's nickname is displayed on the top of the SAT list as #1.
Now if I go to 72 W and scan in the NBC mux, then 72 is moved to the top of the list as #1 AND all of the 91w channels are now listed as being at 72w's nickname.
And on the fav's list-->sat only one sat is listed; to the weird name that goes with 72 west.

So two Q's
1) How do I manually scan & save the results to the satellite to which the channels belong and keep those channels segregated to the correct satellite?
2) How do I rename the sats on the descriptive sat list so the nicknames include the orbital positions? (It annoys me to no end when people use G-25 or whatever instead of 125 west or where ever G25 is!!)

1) Not sure about this, but try scanning 91W again, and see if it sets up a NEW sat in your scanned list.
2) You CAN edit the names of the sats. Go to the Edit Transponder area of the menu, arrow to the appropriate satellite, and press the red button. The only thing you can do is rename, but "91W-G17" probably fits.

I have not seen the symptom you describe in question 1, but since I have spare CS8000, I set it to defaults and try to duplicate the situation.

I just set my backup cs8000 to factory defaults, and set it up to scan 101W Ku. The scan went just fine, and when I go to the FAV button. I get just the 101W bird in the sat list. This is with Firmware 12060F .

I just set my backup cs8000 to factory defaults, and set it up to scan 101W Ku. The scan went just fine, and when I go to the FAV button. I get just the 101W bird in the sat list. This is with Firmware 12060F .

I do too. And 101 shows up in my favs, also.

BUT if I move my dish to 72 or where-ever, and I manually scan, then the channels scan in on the new sat, then 72 shows up in my favs and 101 is not present at all. Furthermore, 101's channels are now listed under 72!!!

So, after scanning 72, if I go to THC, I get the 'check sat' signal & punching the info button gives the proper tp & SR data, but it says "72" as it's sat!!

When I get a chance, I am going to rename the sat names to include their locations. That will save me some time in the long run.

Last edited:
I just moved my dish to 72W, set up the tp for the NBC mux, and scanned it in. Now I have those channels "filed " under 72W. When I hit the FAV button, I now have 2 satellites to select from , 72W and 101W . Mine is working just as I expect it should , after a factory reset and re-setup.

Yep,

For whatever reason mine's not. Factory reset has no effect on this.

Now I'm going to find the cleaning DL, the loader & reload what you sent me. I'll be back tomorrow sometime.

I do too. And 101 shows up in my favs, also.

BUT if I move my dish to 72 or where-ever, and I manually scan, then the channels scan in on the new sat, then 72 shows up in my favs and 101 is not present at all. Furthermore, 101's channels are now listed under 72!!!

So, after scanning 72, if I go to THC, I get the 'check sat' signal & punching the info button gives the proper tp & SR data, but it says "72" as it's sat!!

When I get a chance, I am going to rename the sat names to include their locations. That will save me some time in the long run.

Hey Brent (or any other CS8000 vet), I think I know what's happening & it's not FW related, but it is user-ignorance related:

Apparently what you are supposed to do is assign a number from the "Dish List" (1-35 or so) to the satellite of interest that you're scanning.
Or maybe it's more accurate to say you're to assign the satellite that is to be scanned to the "dish list".
And the default action by the CS is to move your target satellite to the top of the "dish list".

I haven't been able to figure out how to do this. So the next step in my Idot's Guide would be to ask how this is done.

Also, is there a way of disabling the securithy settings to eliminate the need to enter my password?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)