• Total voters
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ira Lacher

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 9, 2008
Des Moines, Iowa
We've seen a number of posts about E* achieving HD parity with D* or even outstripping them in the number of channels and, indeed having some HD channels (notably WGN America) that D* does not.

I am interested in learning whether this HD parity/superiority would entice any DirecTV subscribers to switch to DISH. Thanks!

i voted : unaffected -- there are other reasons I would not switch

those reasons will eventually be confided to one or two members on this site.:)

I have both, but D* is my primary service, and I would not switch for the reason listed in this poll.

That said, both are fine, just small detail differences between the two

I am not switching, if EVER, EVER i switched it would be to cable for on demand and even there ( I just did the numbers after seeing jason switch) and really its not enough to take me away from my sunday ticket, and the VERY reliable service I get from Directv.

What about those thinking of going back to cable, my local TWC offers 11 HD channels DirecTV doesn't while DirecTV offers 13 HD channels TWC doesn't. They also use SDV for their HD channels so there's no loss in picture quality.

The cost of local TWC bundled with RR would be less then $10 more then what I'm paying now for just DirecTV.

After nine years going to make the switch to Dish next week, I am going to give it a shot.

Until Dish gets EI, puts my RSNs up full time, and offers more of my locals in HD, I see no reason to leave Direct. Dish only has 2 channels in HD that I want that are currently not on Direct (Travel and WGN). WGN I could do without since the Cubs are on EI in HD most of the time anyway.

There are also a lot of other reasons, including my current price and the price of the comparable package with Dish (Direct is cheaper for my current setup).

When I leave it will be for FIOS and the purchase of a couple series 3 HD tivos with extraction capability. I certainly will not leave for the ever increasing HDlite on Dish.

I have more important things to worry about than a few HD channels. Honestly if you would switch over for something like that that then most likely neither DirecTV nor Dish want you because in another year you'll just be jumping ship to the new flavor of the month carrier because they have 2 extra HD stations.

They have me only because of the MLB and NFL packages.If they were available elsewhere and I could also get ESPNU and WGN America in HD at the other provider,I would be gone in a nanosecond. I know that there are subscribers that could give a sh*t less about the sports packages, but make them available to all providers and watch the action as people change.

I voted Unaffected for other reasons. Previous to Direct I was with Charter and previous to Dish. My experience was Dish was not a good one. Continued outages in the Winter. I made the attempt of going back to Satelite last Nov 1. During the whole winter I lost picture once for 15 minutes because the snow started out as ice.

Since Dish doesnt offer MLBEI or NFST I am not going. Yes I would like Travel HD ESPNU HD and AMC HD but can live without.

I'm not going anywhere.

I had E* a while back and had to deal with their faulty 129 satellite, no HD locals, no HD-RSN's and the constant aggravation in tinkering with the external remote antenna to use my TV2 remote.

DirecTV gives me a more reliable product and is the superior provider for sports fans. As soon as they develop their 2-room DVR, there will be absolutely NO reason to even think about E*.

As for E* getting "more HD offerings," I can't really think of any other HD channels I'm "that" interested in to switch providers.

I guess if I was really, really picky I'd want MSNBC-HD, E-HD, Chiller-HD, BBC-HD, MTV2-HD, AMC-HD, ESPN Classic-HD, ESPNU-HD, Fox Movie Channel-HD, IFC-HD, TCM-HD, VH1 Classic-HD and The Travel Channel-HD.

But I believe most of the above channels aren't even in HD yet, so I can wait and be happy with everything else I do get in the meantime. :)

Dish has allot more movie channels in HD that I would love and now that they have allot of the national HD channels I would switch fairly quick besides one thing, and people might think Im crazy, but the hardware! I cant go from being about to record 100 hours of HD on my HR22 to recording only 30 hours on my 612. I tried the external drive with backing up and it was kinda a pain.

I love my Directv. I've been a customer for about a year now (switched from Dish) and I've saved about $400.00. I also have much better signal strength. It's not uncommon for me to experience a thunderstorm with very heavy rain and no signal loss. With Dish, a slight t'storm and no signal. I do tend to lose my HD signal before the SD signal but still the Directv signal is much stronger than Dish. I live in central Alabama.

Dish has allot more movie channels in HD that I would love and now that they have allot of the national HD channels I would switch fairly quick besides one thing, and people might think Im crazy, but the hardware! I cant go from being about to record 100 hours of HD on my HR22 to recording only 30 hours on my 612. I tried the external drive with backing up and it was kinda a pain.
I believe Dish does have receivers with much more recording capacity than 30 hours???

Besides, the hardware argument never made much sense too me. No provider has equipment that is so bad, it will stop people from switching. And most people (at least outside of these tech forums) choose providers based on programming, offerings, and price. Equipment is usually the lowest priority.

I do tend to lose my HD signal before the SD signal but still the Directv signal is much stronger than Dish. I live in central Alabama.

All that means is the alignment on the Directv dish may be tweaked better than the Dish dish. :) Also different equipment may have differences in how strength is calibrated, i.e. both signals being equal, D* may show 95 and Dish may show the same signal as 90.

I've just came over after 10 years with DISH and I do miss Travel HD and the fact that their HD DVR has PiP. I do now enjoy the YES network, which I've been waiting 8 years for from DISH, and MLB network, which Charlie said that they will not get for the same reason that they don't carry YES.

That reason is YES and MLB want to be carried on DISH's most basic package, which has no RSNs or sports programming to begin with (except ESPN). DISH says that they don't want to burden every subscriber with what they call "niche" programming (baseball being our national sport is hardly niche programming) and eventhough I feel I will pay a few $ more with D*, I feel its worth it to get the channels I want.

I believe Dish does have receivers with much more recording capacity than 30 hours???

The 722 Claims 55 HD and 350 SD But my guess it slightly more
The 612 and 622 are Claimed 30 HD and 200 SD , But since everything went Mpeg 4 I've got 42 hours on my 612 and about 33 on my 622.
Plus I got a 750 GB External Hard drive that increased the capacity Massively. I'll never fill it. I know that much.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts