If VOOM stops service - OTA should still work

jnardone

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 20, 2004
Hi:
I was boning up on my FCC regs regarding the VOOM box to answer someones question in the Yahoo! group and it definitely looks like VOOM is required to keep the OTA working on any purchased boxes when the satellite service is stopped. This would include people who cancel their service voluntarily as well as those of us who may be involuntarily cancelled if VOOM stops broadcasting from their satellite.

The applicable FCC regulation is Section 15.117

The rule also seems to require that the receiver be able to display the program guide that is included in the PSIP data stream as this is part of the television broadcast. Currently VOOM provides their own program guide through the satellite so there is a "good faith" effort being made but in the event that someone cancels their service or VOOM ceases operation consumers are required to be able receive this information from the broadcasters.

I hope VOOM is working on the software modifications to provide the OTA program guide information and anyone with a purchased box who has suspended their service should be asking for such software.

Hi:
The quotes from the rules are below. Since the box was sold as a TV broadcast receiver (in addition to being a satellite receiver) it must display the TV signal. Just to be sure I called the FCC and they agreed that the OTA should be left functional if the satellite portion of the service is discontinued. They said they would look into the program guide requirement.

...The reference in this section to TV broadcast receivers also
includes devices, such as TV interface devices, that incorporate the tuner portion of a TV broadcast receiver and that are equipped with an antenna or antenna terminals that can be used for the off-the-air reception of TV broadcast signals....

...TV broadcast receivers shall be capable of adequately receiving all channels allocated by the Commission to the television broadcast service......

...TV broadcast receivers are required to provide useable picture and sound commensurate with their video and audio capabilities when receiving digital
television signals..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts