Thinking about switching?Voom service still sucks!

Iceman

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 18, 2003
Georgia
Are you thinking about switching to Voom? Let me save you some trouble. I just left Dish Network soley because their HD content, or lack their of.

I called the 800 number and spoke to a girl by the name of Claudia. Towards the end of the call, I informed Claudia that I will need the upgraded OTA antenna, since I live in a fringe area and because of the terrain and trees. She insisted that the standard OTA antenna would be fine.
After doing some research on these forums, I discovered that the standard OTA was a Channel Master Stealth antenna. After going to the CM website, I saw that the range that the antenna is design for would definetly not work since I live 10-15 miles further than what the Stealth is rated for.

I had to Call Voom and Installs back to plead my case about the antenna. They put me down for a upgrade request but Voom said they could not guarantee anything. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. Pay Installs Inc for a service call to install an antenna that we both know is going to work; Pay Install Inc for a second service call to install the upgraded OTA. ???? Why would a company be so stupid to pay for someone to install something that's not going to work and pay them again to do it right the second time??? As an investor or an employee I would be concerned about a company that throws money away in this manner.

I had to get Wilt to pull strings to have them agree to come with the upgraded OTA to keep from wasting my time. Geez!!!!

My appointment was for this past Wednesday for Installs Inc to come out and install Voom service. I took off work at my expense to accomodate their installation schedule(12-5, what a time frame). I get a call after 4 p.m. from someone from Installs Inc saying that the installer is sick and will not be here. Great, just great!! And they found this out when???? If the installer suddenly became ill just before my install, okay, I can understand if thats the case. So now, I have to reschedule. I get rescheduled for this Saturday.

Today is the day. Of course, my appointment is between 12-5. So, that means I can't do anything I need to do at home because I need to be ready at any minute for the installers. 4 o'clock comes, still no installer. For sh*ts and giggles, I call Installs Inc just to make sure everything is still on. Yes, everything is still on I am told. 5:15 comes, still no one is here. I call and get some sort of supervisor and he says, didn't anyone call you and tell you the installer didn't receive all of your equipment??? Wrong thing to say.

I am hot.

If this company can't even make a phone call or make one out of two appointments, something is seriously wrong with this company.

The funny thing is, I was truly about to invest some serious change in Cablevision. Maybe my encounter with this company was a sign.

What is wrong with Voom????????????????????????? If some HUGE changes don't happen soon, I give them 2 years tops before their doom.

Hey, Iceman, be sure to post this on VOOM/Yahoo forum because as you know Wilt reads the posts there regularly. I know because others at VOOM make reference to just having received a copy of my post to Wilt certainly within 24 hours.

I agree this is totally unacceptable. VOOM has to get rid of Installs, Inc. or get them to change but I'm not hopeful. We just got our SIXTH service call to install an upgraded 24" antenna cancelled today! But at least we have our HD tonight as Seattle is having one of its rare clear skies day.

About to watch HDTV under clear Seattle skies, Gill

ANYONE THINKING OF SIGNING UP FOR VOOM please go and read my posts.
The service is horrendous, management is even worse. I have been without service now 19 out of 25 days, my service call is now RESCHEDULED till January 3rd
PLEASE READ

iceman,

There are three parties involved in this. VOOM, Installs Inc and the Local Installer. Since there are three different "people" involved on this very likely that something will go wrong. This is why you will see in this forum a mandatory note: GET IN TOUCH WITH THE LOCAL INSTALLER. This has become the rule that will not let you down. Forget about Voom and Installs Inc. The local installer is the one that can advice you whether your equipment is there or not and whether he can make the appointment. Not only this works with VoOM but also with Dish in my personal experience. This is the biggest hurddle. Getting the local installer to install. Dish took thee days for my installation because of the same. D* when I first try them, they couldn't even give me the right information over the phone and so I dropped them. Rule number. NEVER MAKE APPOINTMENTS BY TAKING DAYS OFF FROM WORK. Let them do it on a date like Weekends.

I completely agree with you regarding the antenna. Don't know why/who makes the decision about the antennas. They should only make one trip with the correct antenna. I would not try that local installer again since he shows very little interests in doing the install and I would make sure that he gets written off. It sounds like he has a lot of other work to do and did not care much to give you a call.

These things happen and I know the pain that it is because it happened to me as well. You know who never let me down with installion is the Cable company becuase they have their own people doing this.

stevesmall said:
ANYONE THINKING OF SIGNING UP FOR VOOM please go and read my posts.
The service is horrendous, management is even worse. I have been without service now 19 out of 25 days, my service call is now RESCHEDULED till January 3rd
PLEASE READ

Steve,

get some credit if you are without service. Not everyone gets the same local installers so let's not generalize the problem(s).

Sean Mota said:
iceman,

There are three parties involved in this. VOOM, Installs Inc and the Local Installer. Since there are three different "people" involved on this very likely that something will go wrong. This is why you will see in this forum a mandatory note: GET IN TOUCH WITH THE LOCAL INSTALLER. This has become the rule that will not let you down. Forget about Voom and Installs Inc. The local installer is the one that can advice you whether your equipment is there or not and whether he can make the appointment. Not only this works with VoOM but also with Dish in my personal experience. This is the biggest hurddle. Getting the local installer to install. Dish took thee days for my installation because of the same. D* when I first try them, they couldn't even give me the right information over the phone and so I dropped them. Rule number. NEVER MAKE APPOINTMENTS BY TAKING DAYS OFF FROM WORK. Let them do it on a date like Weekends.

I completely agree with you regarding the antenna. Don't know why/who makes the decision about the antennas. They should only make one trip with the correct antenna. I would not try that local installer again since he shows very little interests in doing the install and I would make sure that he gets written off. It sounds like he has a lot of other work to do and did not care much to give you a call.

These things happen and I know the pain that it is because it happened to me as well. You know who never let me down with installion is the Cable company becuase they have their own people doing this.
Congrats Sean on the award, and thanks for your comments.
But, remember, I PMed you about this earlier this week. You are the one that put me in touch with Wilt.
Anyhow, as far as "three different people" go, I don't care. I don't care if they were 500 people involved, Voom is in this business(for now). It's their responsibility to make sure things get done, and when they don't, know how to handle them in a proper way. It sounds like their system is what's going to fail them(you know what I mean by fail).
As far as getting in touch with the local installer, who the hell is that? I shouldn't have to, that is Voom's or Installs Inc job. I was under the impression that Chris from Installs was the one coming to do the job. Maybe he is the one that was sick that day. I could give you more details about this, but it would take days of typing. I did everything I thought I could do to make this transaction as smooth as possible, including printing maps from antennaweb to help the installer(if he had showed) with the locals, in case he didn't have them. I read so many posts regarding Voom, Installs, complaints, etc until my eyes bled.
I am so disappointed. I was really excited about joining Voom. You don't know how much I am wanting more HD. I never had ONE single problem with Dish Network. Charlie just seems to be dragging his feet with HD.
Oh well, I will just tuck my tail and crawl back to Dish Network.

Take care,
Ice

Iceman said:
Congrats Sean on the award, and thanks for your comments.
But, remember, I PMed you about this earlier this week. You are the one that put me in touch with Wilt.
Anyhow, as far as "three different people" go, I don't care. I don't care if they were 500 people involved, Voom is in this business(for now). It's their responsibility to make sure things get done, and when they don't, know how to handle them in a proper way. It sounds like their system is what's going to fail them(you know what I mean by fail).
As far as getting in touch with the local installer, who the hell is that? I shouldn't have to, that is Voom's or Installs Inc job. I was under the impression that Chris from Installs was the one coming to do the job. Maybe he is the one that was sick that day. I could give you more details about this, but it would take days of typing. I did everything I thought I could do to make this transaction as smooth as possible, including printing maps from antennaweb to help the installer(if he had showed) with the locals, in case he didn't have them. I read so many posts regarding Voom, Installs, complaints, etc until my eyes bled.
I am so disappointed. I was really excited about joining Voom. You don't know how much I am wanting more HD. I never had ONE single problem with Dish Network. Charlie just seems to be dragging his feet with HD.
Oh well, I will just tuck my tail and crawl back to Dish Network.

Take care,
Ice

Installs Inc does very little installation themselves. I doubt they would cancel on you because if their own installers are hired they usually do a very good job. However, with some local installers that it's not the case. One finds these things the hard way. I understand that ultimately VOOM is the one responsible but none of these companies have quality assurance personel dedicated to track installations once it is assigned. So one hand does not know what the other it's doing. As I said this is not only a VOOM problem but it is with the other DBS companies because all of them sub their installations to local installations companies. So whenever anyone tries to get an installation, you are playing russian roulette. Some get done and some do not. The ones that don't usually end up somewhere here or in another forum. The ones that do get done we never hear about it. So good luck with anything you decide to do.

Sean, with all due respect it was the "local" installer that cancelled the last 2x because he had a doctor's appointment during the scheduled call yesterday and couldn't rent the truch he needed this (Sat.) morn here in Seattle. To his credit he did call both times and let us know the problem.

However, the next scheduled service call will be by a different installer who has a truck to bring the ladder and will be exactly at the time of day we set up such as exactly at 11 AM. No more of this 8-12. I got up early this morning to accomodate the installer and he called about 10:30 to say he couldn't make it.

We've been with VOOM since Dec. 12, 2003 and have had virtually uncounted service call screwups.

But still about to watch the best source of HDTV-VOOM-under clear Seattle skies, Gill

Gill,

not doubting you at all. There are some local installers that take care of their customers and are concerned about any service call. There are some that do not. Unfortunately, we get to read more of those that do not do a good job communicating with the customer. I have spoken to a few people at Installs Inc and I believe that they try to do their best for every customers but there are some that do fall through the cracks and then we hear about them here. By the same token we don't get to hear the ones that Installs Inc made right.

The bottom line is that the customer is that one that suffers. Somewhere along the line, communication is broken when these three parties try to do an installation and what happens is that the customer gets the short stick of the story. Heck I am not even putting down the people that take the order for the equipment and ships and the ones that carry the shipping.

In conclusion there are lot of stuff that can go wrong with an installation from the beginning. Somewhere along the line someone (voom, installs inc, or local installer) needs to take the responsibility and contact the customer to let them know what is exactly happening. If no one does this, customers feel left out and without any option but to cancel installation. This is where I think communication is breaking down. There should be a QC person that tracks where the installation process is at. This way a lot of problems can be avoided.

Sean Mota said:
Steve,

get some credit if you are without service. Not everyone gets the same local installers so let's not generalize the problem(s).
NO Sean you are right not everyone gets the same local installer but i have had the same installer show up for directv that installed my Voom, 2 weeks ago when the issue came up with my Voom i had an issue with an hd box from directv, local installer was here the next day (i do have the protection plan) since it was the same installer i asked if he could repeak the dish since he was here , he asked me to call voom and get a reference number i did and Voom informed me thats not the way they do business, i need to wait for my service call (8 days later) was that the smart thing to do ?
as for the credit you say to get, well i should get that no matter what,my service does not work at all, I dont care about the credit Sean i want the service to work, btw , i had a service call scheduled for yesterday between 8 and 12, the installer calls me at 3 to tell me he wasnt coming. NO KIDDING tells me that he had a flat LOL i dont believe him, do you ? a flat has never stopped me from being somewhere although late i have never not gone to work because of a flat.
So Scott my issue ultimately is with VOOM, they are the Company responsible for delivering the sat content to my home. You make the same argument about installs, blaming them, there are 3 people involved so there will always be problems. ULTIMATELY VOOM IS AT FAULT , VOOM is the company paying installs stink, Voom is who i signed on with. I BLAME VOOM
and obviously the above posts agree,

stevesmall said:
NO Sean you are right not everyone gets the same local installer but i have had the same installer show up for directv that installed my Voom, 2 weeks ago when the issue came up with my Voom i had an issue with an hd box from directv, local installer was here the next day (i do have the protection plan) since it was the same installer i asked if he could repeak the dish since he was here , he asked me to call voom and get a reference number i did and Voom informed me thats not the way they do business, i need to wait for my service call (8 days later) was that the smart thing to do ?
as for the credit you say to get, well i should get that no matter what,my service does not work at all, I dont care about the credit Sean i want the service to work, btw , i had a service call scheduled for yesterday between 8 and 12, the installer calls me at 3 to tell me he wasnt coming. NO KIDDING tells me that he had a flat LOL i dont believe him, do you ? a flat has never stopped me from being somewhere although late i have never not gone to work because of a flat.
So Scott my issue ultimately is with VOOM, they are the Company responsible for delivering the sat content to my home. You make the same argument about installs, blaming them, there are 3 people involved so there will always be problems. ULTIMATELY VOOM IS AT FAULT , VOOM is the company paying installs stink, Voom is who i signed on with. I BLAME VOOM
That's exactly how I feel. Go Steve go!

stevesmall said:
... i have had the same installer show up for directv that installed my Voom, 2 weeks ago when the issue came up with my Voom i had an issue with an hd box from directv, local installer was here the next day (i do have the protection plan) since it was the same installer i asked if he could repeak the dish since he was here , he asked me to call voom and get a reference number i did and Voom informed me thats not the way they do business, i need to wait for my service call (8 days later) was that the smart thing to do ?
We, customers, may not like this, but any other company would've told you the same thing. If the installer's trip is payed for by D*, V* cannot authorize the installer to do anything for them at the same time. D* could sue them if they did. They have to schedule a separate trip, and pay for it.

stevesmall said:

I am not saying that VOOM is not ultimately responsible but the fact still remains that your local installer could not do the job. Whether he was lying or not, I do not know and my guess is that you do not know either. But we all know that sometimes excuses are made up. Anyway, steve based on your bad experience, you made up your mind and you spoken with your wallet which is the ultimate power that every consumer has. I was just trying to share some light on how the system works and not trying to say that there was not one responsible for your fiasco. Good luck to you.

Why not run over and join D*. Their PQ on HBOHD, SHOHD and HDNet movies (roughly half of their vast selection of HD channels) is crap from recent reports: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=484250

or go with charlie and his E* with NO plans or hope of any more HD channels anytime soon and the horrific SD PQ.

You guys and all the whining/bashing... You really need to look at the bigger picture. Please Voom, we need some pacifiers for some stockings on saturday. :rolleyes:

vurbano said:
Why not run over and join D*. Their PQ on HBOHD, SHOHD and HDNet movies (roughly half of their vast selection of HD channels) is crap from recent reports: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?threadid=484250

or go with charlie and his E* with NO plans or hope of any more HD channels anytime soon and the horrific SD PQ.

You guys and all the whining/bashing... You really need to look at the bigger picture. Please Voom, we need some pacifiers for some stockings on saturday. :rolleyes:
I am looking at the bigger picture. That's why I gave Voom two chances! How hard is it to pick up the damn phone and tell someone we've made a mistake and we will have to reschedule(again)??? I'd rather crawl back to Charlie and pay $10 more for a few HD channels than to go to Voom at this point.
Instead of giving pacifiers, I'd like to give out some ass kickings for wasting my time two days this week.

Have a wonderful holiday.

vurbano said:
Why not run over and join D*. Their PQ on HBOHD, SHOHD and HDNet movies (roughly half of their vast selection of HD channels)

One day people will realize that it doesnt matter how many HD channels you have if its not delivered in a RELIABLE fashion with good customer service you dont have a competitive product.

I'll take my 10 or so HD channels on E* or D* delivered in great HD RELIABLY any day as long as I dont have to deal with the problems hundreds of members like Iceman have had.

Dont worry Ice, after Charlie buys Voom you'll have it back.

zubinh said:
One day people will realize that it doesnt matter how many HD channels you have if its not delivered in a RELIABLE fashion with good customer service you dont have a competitive product.

I'll take my 10 or so HD channels on E* or D* delivered in great HD RELIABLY any day as long as I dont have to deal with the problems hundreds of members like Iceman have had.

That may be true with E* but NOT D* if you do some reading. UNfortunately youll be stuck with limited channels on E* for a long time and poor SD PQ. Each to his own.

zubinh said:

There are some of us who have VOOM and E* and don't see what reliability issues you are talking about. Both have problems with software and hardware and as customers you learn to live with the little bugs. Even D* has its own. Just be content with what you've got. No need to bad mouth anyone. Just look at the E* and D* forum and let me know if there is happy land there as well.

vurbano said:
That may be true with E* but NOT D* if you do some reading. UNfortunately youll be stuck with limited channels on E* for a long time and poor SD PQ. Each to his soon.

Have you ever seen E*'s SD? If so, when was the last time?
In the last two years it has become better and better, to where when I see D*'s SD with the pixels breaking up and too much edge enhancement to make it appear sharper it hurts my eyes, in my area I have seen Comcast SD (analog and digital), D* ,E* of course and I have seen V* (showing,I believe, CNN at Sears, they only had the SD hooked up a while ago), and except for OTA (SD) E* really beats them out, Comcast comes close with their Digital channels ( analog still blows) and V* at the time ,well, CNN kinda look Zoomed in but was not zoomed in, maybe just too soft.

SD PQ in any of these providers sucks. The best SD picture is OTA and none of them can provide that. SD picture varies from channel to channel and also with time. Better difficult to make an assessment. Bruce, I have E* and I dont watch anything SD on them. Picture is incrediable bad for my 42 or 60 inches HDTVs. Even the premium SD channels look bad. The V* SD premium channels look a lot better but not close to SD OTA.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)