If you are having trouble...

Status
Please reply by conversation.
People probably will be disappointed, but I don't think you can say that they won't look better than the SD versions. Maybe it's because the SD stations suck so badly, but I think the upconverted SD on the new HD stations is much better than the corresponding SD options, and is a decent use of those timeslots if the shows aren't created in actual HD.

I could probably do without the stretching, though... just upconvert and leave in its original aspect ratio...
You definitely have a point. I should have clarified my remarks to indicate that I was referring to the overall resolution and not necessarily the PQ, which is enhanced by the HD feed. I also would much rather watch the HD feed of an SD program compared to the SD feed.

Thanks all for your help.... I now have perfect HD reception on all the new channels.
The problem was that the DirecTV installer who installed the new 5LNB dish a couple of months ago left an "OTA diplexer" in the cable down lead from the dish in the attic which did not show up until the new HD channels were added on Sept. 26.

question:

i have Choice Extra + HD Access ($10/month).

i see an option available on the DirecTV website to add DirecTV HD Extra Pack for first three months free then ($5/month).

does this mean in order to view some of the content only offered in my Choice Extra that has an HD counterpart I need to add that $5 to my HD Access totaling $15/month?

question:

i have Choice Extra + HD Access ($10/month).

i see an option available on the DirecTV website to add DirecTV HD Extra Pack for first three months free then ($5/month).

does this mean in order to view some of the content only offered in my Choice Extra that has an HD counterpart I need to add that $5 to my HD Access totaling $15/month?

That extra fee is for the HD channels with no SD counterpart (i.e. HDNet, Universal HD, Discovery HD Theater). All the HD versions of the channels in your package will come with the $10 fee.

well that's kinda lame..that's like what, less than 7 channels? channels that're basically HD Demo channels and movie channels. i'm not gonna add $5 for that.

My answer to the problems I had . . .

Thanks all for your help.... I now have perfect HD reception on all the new channels.
The problem was that the DirecTV installer who installed the new 5LNB dish a couple of months ago left an "OTA diplexer" in the cable down lead from the dish in the attic which did not show up until the new HD channels were added on Sept. 26.

I was having trouble getting the 103b satellite odd transponders yielding only signal strengths of 0. The even transponders were around 85-95%. I was able to get all the new HD channels except five, which I presume are on the odd transponders. The channels I could not receive were 265 A&EHD, 269 History Channel HD, 280 Learning Channel HD, 247 TBS HD, 362 Weather Channel HD.

A call to DirecTV high level tech could not even tell me what satellite the channels I was unable to receive were on. Then I called a local sat dealer and had them come out to take a look. We fooled around quite a bit before we disconnected two lines from the multi-switch and connected them them directly together. After the direct connection everything works perfectly with all transponders on the 103b now achieving signal strengths in the high 90's.

A photo of the multi-switch is attached. The lines that have been disconnected from the switch and connected directly together were in positions "OUT 1" on the switch's bottom and line "13V 22KHz" located on the top of the switch. Funny enough there still remains three lines left on the multi-switch in positions "18V", "13V", and "18V 22KHz".

Does anybody know what the correct setup really is, and why the DirecTV installer would have set it up this way in the first place?

Attachments

• DSC02015.JPG
    DSC02015.JPG
    348.5 KB · Views: 180
I was having trouble getting the 103b satellite odd transponders yielding only signal strengths of 0. The even transponders were around 85-95%. I was able to get all the new HD channels except five, which I presume are on the odd transponders. The channels I could not receive were 265 A&EHD, 269 History Channel HD, 280 Learning Channel HD, 247 TBS HD, 362 Weather Channel HD.

A call to DirecTV high level tech could not even tell me what satellite the channels I was unable to receive were on. Then I called a local sat dealer and had them come out to take a look. We fooled around quite a bit before we disconnected two lines from the multi-switch and connected them them directly together. After the direct connection everything works perfectly with all transponders on the 103b now achieving signal strengths in the high 90's.

A photo of the multi-switch is attached. The lines that have been disconnected from the switch and connected directly together were in positions "OUT 1" on the switch's bottom and line "13V 22KHz" located on the top of the switch. Funny enough there still remains three lines left on the multi-switch in positions "18V", "13V", and "18V 22KHz".

Does anybody know what the correct setup really is, and why the DirecTV installer would have set it up this way in the first place?

Not real sure what your asking, but your set up in thepicture looks correct, except I don't see the need for the WB6x8 in the first place if your only using one receiver.
The bottom row is for the connections to your different rec's, the top needs to be filled from the dish. 1 coax for the 13v side and 1 for the 18v side and 1 set for the 22 khz side.
Leave the flex port empty.
Everything looks right.

Jimbo

Thankyou! (thankyou, thankyou!) I was pulling my hair out wondering why my neighbor had all the channels, thousands of posters had all the new HD channels, and I didn't. D*TV installed the new dish Tuesday and lit up the new channels Wednesday. I did get CNN, History and the the Science channel, but that was about it. Then I read your post and remembered - Oh S--T. I removed the diplexor and fixed the problem and voila! There they were. No wonder why tech support was no help!

Not real sure what your asking, but your set up in thepicture looks correct, except I don't see the need for the WB6x8 in the first place if your only using one receiver.
The bottom row is for the connections to your different rec's, the top needs to be filled from the dish. 1 coax for the 13v side and 1 for the 18v side and 1 set for the 22 khz side.
Leave the flex port empty.
Everything looks right.

Jimbo

The photo was taken before the changes were made to enable me to receive the new HD channels. In the text I describe that the the "OUT 1" and the "13V 22KHz" lines have been disconnected from the switch in the photo and connected directly together in order to receive the new HD channels.

- mkottman

I'm having tons o trouble tuning the new HDs... sometimes they come in, sometimes not. I've seen a couple posts saying that diplexers on OTA may cause problems - anyone know why? I have diplexers all over the place (they put one on my main panel for each STB, as I have 2 runs going to each box, but they wanted 2 sat, 1 OTA run to each). Do I need to get them to send installer back out?

Much appreciado for any advice.

Chris

I'm having tons o trouble tuning the new HDs... sometimes they come in, sometimes not. I've seen a couple posts saying that diplexers on OTA may cause problems - anyone know why? I have diplexers all over the place (they put one on my main panel for each STB, as I have 2 runs going to each box, but they wanted 2 sat, 1 OTA run to each). Do I need to get them to send installer back out?

Much appreciado for any advice.

Chris

Yes, the diplexers are your problem. They share the same frequencies on the cable as the new HD channels.

Dirtectv says no OTA for you

So I called Directv & explained about the diplexers, and they confirmed that the diplexers cause problems. They say the only solution is to disconnect them and hence the OTA (or presumably, rip up my walls & install new cable runs).

I have trouble believing there is no solution to get 2 satellite feeds and also the OTA to each box over 2 cable runs... thought I was being proactive when I put in 2 cable runs when the house went up! Anyone know if there's a solution, or do I really have to choose between the new HDs and OTA? (Directv assures me they're working on it, but can't explain how/what/when, so I'm a bit skeptical.)

Chris

So I called Directv & explained about the diplexers, and they confirmed that the diplexers cause problems. They say the only solution is to disconnect them and hence the OTA (or presumably, rip up my walls & install new cable runs).

I have trouble believing there is no solution to get 2 satellite feeds and also the OTA to each box over 2 cable runs... thought I was being proactive when I put in 2 cable runs when the house went up! Anyone know if there's a solution, or do I really have to choose between the new HDs and OTA? (Directv assures me they're working on it, but can't explain how/what/when, so I'm a bit skeptical.)

Chris

They are working on a single-wire solution for the two satellite feeds, but it's still being tested. If you search around a bit on this forum you'll find more information, but the best guess I'm seeing is sometime later this year.

The other night I was watching one of the new HD channel and it started to rain. The channel disappeared. It was ok in std definition. Well all of the new HD channes were gone . The corresponding SD channel was ok. My signal strength on the new channels is at least 98.

From H10-250 to HR20-100s

Anybody know how I can copy programs from H10-250 to Hr20-100s???

Thanx,
Jess

Anybody know how I can copy programs from H10-250 to Hr20-100s???

Thanx,
Jess

Unless you connect your HR10, HR20 to a device like the Sanyo DRW-1000, which has component outputs, and composite inputs. Even though your playing back into the DRW-1000 and recording to DVD or VHS, the quality of playback because of component is very good. I have recorded 60+ movies to DVD with no issues. The quality is comparable to renting a DVD and playing it back on a DVD player with component outputs. You can even convert VHS tapes to DVD, and vice versa. This is not illegal for home purposes.

It is not illegal if you use it for home personal use, and don't charge for viewing. The Sanyo product has been discontinued but you can find it on many sales sites on the web.

Chris

There is one possible solution, but I have heard mixed results. It won't hurt to try it.

If you have the external B band converters (used on HR20), try moving one just past the multiswitch, but before you inject the OTA signal. You will need to make a jumper and a double female adapter for this (as the connectors will be wrong).

The reason this may work is these converters move the low band signal (which are the ones interfering with the OTA) to a higher frequency. By moving that block of frequencies higher, you are now out of the way of the OTA signal. The problems that can occur is if you lose too much signal between the B band converter and the receiver (remember the diplexers will introduce some loss) it won't work.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)