If You Can't Get Locals OTA

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

rjfrandle

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 5, 2006
Minnesota
I'm sure many are in my same situation. I live where I cannot get HD channels over the air. Currently I have the HR-10-250 with CBS, FOX, and NBC DNS. I couldn't get a waiver for ABC. My locals just became available
...Minneapolis, MN.

I Do not want to give up a DVR...but since I cannot get locals any other way but satellite, I don't know what to do. When my beloved Vikings start in September, I won't be able to watch in HD. I know they are coming out with their DVR, but I have a feeling it won't be until well after the football season starts.

I got my HR-10-250 last October, so I still have a 1.5 year commitment...but I tell ya, I've actually thought of breaking my commitment and going with Dish. They have all my locals and a DVR that can record them. My cable is no help, they don't even offer HD service yet.

So...the options as I see it.
1. Stay with DTV and wait till DVR comes out. Watch another season of The Vikes in crappy SD.
2. Go with the locals with just the receiver, and keep the HR10-250 too. Great for Vikings games, but now they shut off my DNS, and I have no way to tape other shows in HD.
3. Say screw it, and cancel my service and switch to Dish. DTV takes all my equipment, and jam other fees up my a$@# to disconnect.

I'm willing to wait for the DVR till Mid summer, but from what I've been reading, I'm not too confindent that's gonna happen. What would you do....or have you done.

I love NFL football, but only want to watch the Vikes for sure every week. Then I'll watch whatever game happens to be on in my area. I'm not willing to pay another 300 bucks or whatever it is for NFL ST.

OK, figured if you were willing to pay your way out of the contract and to get into another provider, you might be willing to pay for the NFL. Good luck.

That's a very good point...I hadn't thought of that. There's so many questions about that though. Like...will the Vikings game be in HD on NFL ST. It would be on my local affiliate I'm sure. And the big question I haven't gotten a clear answer on yet.....If I don't sign up for HD LIL...do I get to keep my DNS. Or at some point because it is available in my area now, are they going to shut it off.

By the way, what is the NFL ST cost now anyway.

rjfrandle said:
will the Vikings game be in HD on NFL ST

That would be determined by whoever holds the broadcast rights for the game. The NFL pkg is only a purchased retransmission of a network or a local affiliate feed. If they will be produced in HD it is usually past along.

It would be on my local affiliate I'm sure

I would be 99% sure that all the Vikings games will be on one of your local area channels; either FSN, or the local affiliate that generally holds the local broadcast rights to their games. You would need to inquire to them if they will be produced in HD.

If I don't sign up for HD LIL...do I get to keep my DNS. Or at some point because it is available in my area now, are they going to shut it off.

No one seems to know 100% so I would call DirecTV and get their answer in writing. I have read if you already have DNS and DO NOT choose to subscribe to LIL HD, then the DNS will stay put.

By the way, what is the NFL ST cost now anyway.

I am sure there will be specials, and I am not 100% sure on the current prices because I have been a continuous NFL pkg holder since inception way back on C-band.

$229 ST pkg & $49 SF pkg ?

I just can not find my way to pay those prices for sunday ticket. I will have cable modem and will watch the games for free online.

Do you own the HD Tivo, or are you leasing it? You could recoup some money by selling it on ebay.

Sounds like you're in a bit of a pickle. Why don't you call D and see what the penalty would be to cancel your service. Then we can have a better idea of what to do.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)