If You Dont Like Dish Perhaps Its Time To Switch

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
I have both Dish & DTV & I enjoy both services. I watch live programing on Dish primarily & use DTV for live sports not covered by Dish & whole home DVR(I'm still in the pre-hopper "stone age" with 2 ViP722k's & 1 ViP211k) for recorded shows.

Having been a customer for over 18 years I have been reading some of the posts during the year and I have to say there are some people who are out to just destroy Dish.
The gripes and the inaccurate stories intermix with fact and fiction. All in all my experience has been pretty good. Dish has always helped me sometimes slowly sometimes quickly with any problem in equipment, programming setup, installers etc. Yes I have had some bad expierences but they are outweighed by the good ones.
The comments about lousy installers, lousy customer service and lousy "deals" are getting a bit much. Some people seem to be happy only if they managed to
"get a deal" and out smarted Dish, while others can't wait for the latest court case to bring Dish "into line" with their thinking.
Well maybe its time to say no one is forcing anyone to subscribe. If you don't like the service then dont subscribe, and if dont like how you are treated perhaps you should think about going with another satellite provider And for all those who think Comcast treats them better, or they managed to weasel a price out of DTV, then boy do you have a lesson coming. Yes all in all, I would say Dish has been a pretty good provider of service, innovation and yes even programming . If you don't belive that, then report back to this forum with your experience with your "new provider".

I understand your point. It's not completely unreasonable. There's a grain of truth in there. However, I think there are a few factors that maybe you're not taking fully into account:

1. Many of the folks who complain are under contract with Dish and can't afford to, or don't want to, pay an EFT. So they are sort of more or less stuck. This includes not only new subscribers in their first two years, but also folks who have sprung for HD upgrades or the Hopper or whathaveyou and had to sign another commitment to go along with whatever they upgraded to (Maybe figuring upgrading would make their experience better, and later finding out that it didn't).

2. A lot of people in general are of the opinion that all of the major television providers are bad, just in different ways. Some folks are probably kind of dissatisfied with Dish, but don't want to go without television, and think the local cable company, Directv, and FIOS (where available) are even worse.

3. Some folks have very limited television provider options. Maybe there's no cable or FIOS out in the sticks, a giant tree blocks their line of sight for Directv, and it's either Dish or nothing.

4. Directv wants something like $300 upfront from people who don't qualify credit wise. A lot of people don't have $300 to hand a company upfront for television service.

5. Let's take your typical American family. Maybe Dad doesn't like Dish, but mom and the kids love it. Dad doesn't want to rock the boat and cause family strife by switching. Having a subpar television provider may be better than risking a divorce. ;)

6. Sometimes people sign up for Dish to get particular channels or watch particular shows or sporting events, and all indications are that they'll be there, they're in the channel listing and everything, than Dish gets into a dispute over 10 cents extra they might have to pay for the very channel that makes you pay them $65 a month or whatever. I'm sure subscribers in that situation are justifiably pretty annoyed. And the annoyance gets even greater when they see big increases in programming package costs and equipment fees (Just wait till 2013). They might say to themselves "Dish feels they can charge me $10 more a month, even though Dish won't pay 10 cents more a month to my favorite channel so I can keep watching it.".

I am just saying, things aren't always as simple as they seem. They are plenty of reasons someone may have some issues with their television provider and still not want or be able to switch right away.

Also, the hassle involved with switching providers can be a big disincentive for people. They sometimes are tempted to do it and then think "I'm going to go through a bunch of crap and in the end just wind up with another provider where I pay too much for too little, as might as well stick with what I've got and avoid the hassle, unless it gets absolutely unbearable.".

gpollock87 said:
i will not go to direct! if i do i will have to show up to my own funeral as phil shipley and i don't wanna do that! in all seriousiness though, i will never leave dish.

Lol. Hysterical commercial. Phil Shipley. Lol

royrdsjr said:
I have both Dish & DTV & I enjoy both services. I watch live programing on Dish primarily & use DTV for live sports not covered by Dish & whole home DVR(I'm still in the pre-hopper "stone age" with 2 ViP722k's & 1 ViP211k) for recorded shows.

Exactly my situation.
Add to that Uverse.
I've had dish and Direc from their inception.
I have always preferred dish until the Voom mess
To me, customer service is not really consistent
For either dish or Direc. Some years Direc is better other years dish is better.
Right now at the moment Uverse customer service is better than both sat companies, in my opinion.
All services have their good points.
So glad we have this forum to share our thoughts.
I have all current equipment. Hopper very cool. Love auto skip. Whole home better on Direc.

Squeezon just for your information DISH started broadcasting in March 1996. At 18 years you would have been with them 2 years longer than they have been broadcasting you must really LOVE them.
My first installation was with an Echostar receiver. The entire thing back then, came in two large boxes. To aim the dish, I had to use a small compass out of a crackerjack box.
Yes there was Echostar back then, and Dish was a small extension only in name. My entire setup was completed July of 1994.

P.S. On each visit with new equipment, new dish etc the installer noted I was only off 2deg on my satellite aim....not bad for a toy compass!

I am a Dish customer currently but I feel no loyalty to them or any other TV provider, or any other huge corporation for that matter. I have rotated between Dish, Directv, and my local cable company every 3 to 4 years. I consider what is the best deal for me with the programming, equipment, and price being the deciding factors. Emotion or blind loyalty to a corporation are not factors to me. I also think I have every right to say what I dislike about any provider without switching. We don't need this forum to be a love fest. The only way they will ever fix problems is if they know people want them to.

As for you being an 18 year Dish customer... how do you have any idea what kind of lesson those that switch are going to be in for with cable or Directv. Sure I prefer Dish and Directv's equipment over my cable company, but as someone who uses them all I can make that statement. An 18 year customer of one company can't.
I had Comcast, and my neighbor had DTV, and my brother had Verizon. Today they are all Dish Customers!! Go Dish!

Always liked Dish,they were the lil company that could.The Charlie chats made me feel like the customers really counted.I still really like Dish and prefer them to any of the competitors but,at times it seems as if they have gotten too big and lost some of their mojo.They had the greatest customer support bar none back in the day.It has really nose dived since then.Thank goodness for Dirt,that restored my faith in customer service.If they would quit getting involved in these multi million dollar lawsuits and focus more on service they could perhaps surpass Dtv in subscribers.

Yeah, I miss the Charlie Chats. We shouldn't have dissed him, we should have appreciated that he was doing them at all.

If they would quit getting involved in these multi million dollar lawsuits and focus more on service they could perhaps surpass Dtv in subscribers.

I have generally at the least understood the big picture when Dish does stand their ground, often even supported it. But you make a great point. What if all their CSR's were as good as the DIRT team. If people had a problem it got resolved or at the least answered correctly like DIRT does. Would that be worth paying a little more? Would people think twice about switching more than some do now? If their website was less prone to mistakes, and maybe conveyed more directly, when changes are going to be made? We usually know, but most probably do not. Very good customer service can go a long way, maybe even sustain a little higher price. Good post.

Yes to everyone of the questions you posed.At least in my humble opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts