If you're one of the idiots that does this, KNOCK IT OFF and have some common sense...

edisonprime

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Okay, what's the deal when sometimes when I drive, and I'm about to merge into a lane (and yes I always have my signal on, and also yes, there's a clearing), that occasionally as I try to merge into that lane, some idiot way back has no patience to wait a couple damn seconds for me to merge in and speeds up! I then have to slam on my brakes! If you're one of those individuals that does this, don't you realize that could cause an accident? And don't you realize you could also hurt yourself or someone else? And don't you realize that it's much harder to stop in the winter? GEEEEEZ!!!! If you don't want to be stuck behind someone merging into the lane that you are driving in, have a couple seconds of f-in patience and wait a couple seconds for them to merge into your lane, then pass them. I really don't understand how this is such rocket science to some people. Goodness gracious!!

Reactions: FTA4PA
You have to be decisive.

So few people use turn signals anymore that it is probably assumed that you didn't cancel them from a recent turn or, as dishdude suggests, it appears to others that you're not fully committed to taking your place in the traffic stream. Maybe it stems from people rushing to make their next stop light long enough to get off a second text message.

On a similar note, have you ever noticed that drivers of certain brands of vehicles are less likely to use their turn signals?

Maybe it isn't brand-related and there's just a lot of people that figure you don't need to know what they intend (but you should obviously know that if the brake lights come on and the vehicle fades to the right, they're clearly going to make a left turn).

You have to be decisive.

So few people use turn signals anymore that it is probably assumed that you didn't cancel them from a recent turn or, as dishdude suggests, it appears to others that you're not fully committed to taking your place in the traffic stream. Maybe it stems from people rushing to make their next stop light long enough to get off a second text message.

On a similar note, have you ever noticed that drivers of certain brands of vehicles are less likely to use their turn signals?

Maybe it isn't brand-related and there's just a lot of people that figure you don't need to know what they intend (but you should obviously know that if the brake lights come on and the vehicle fades to the right, they're clearly going to make a left turn).
Might be a good argument except for the fact is that they start speeding up when I'm already halfway in the other lane, then they speed up, so I brake hard and move back to the original lane I was in.

Might be a good argument except for the fact is that they start speeding up when I'm already halfway in the other lane, then they speed up, so I brake hard and move back to the original lane I was in.
This inconsiderate and even dangerous nonsense has been going on for 50 years at least! But I don't call them "idiots". ;) If they are so anxious not to let anybody in front of them, then I try not to blow a fuse and just let them get ahead of me, even if I miss my turn. :mad:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpSw5tREOxQ

Last edited:
Try merging with a 55 foot long 20,000 lb motorhome and car in tow that almost no one in a car wants to get caught behind so they keep speeding up to fill the gaps. I'm always grateful when an 18-wheeler is coming along, because they almost always give me room to merge, just as I do for them by either backing off or moving over when possible.

Reactions: TheKrell
Sorry to say it but people suck. I'm afraid that driver etiquette went out the window long ago. Now its all about ME, ME, ME. There are still a few of us out there that are courteous to other drivers. Sadly we are a rare breed these days. Everyone is distracted, in a hurry and rude.

I installed a dash-cam in all my vehicles. I'm thinking about posting some of my video on a YouTube channel. I think some people would be amazed at some of the bone head maneuvers I see people pulling off every day.

Here is the scary part. I've offered dash-cam video of people breaking the law to the police. They say that they don't have the resources to investigate due to budget cuts and "defund the police" campaigns. Where I live 2 officers cover an area that has roughly 30,000 citizens. I don't see the problem going away anytime soon. That's why I drive a large vehicle and obtained a concealed carry permit. I don't necessarily like it but that's the way it is. Meanwhile, I'll continue to let people in front of me if they need to. We'll all get to where we are going. It will all go smoother if we cooperate with one another.

How are they cutting you off when you're half way into the lane? It seems like if you make your move assertively, they'll have to clamp on the binders, not you.

Reactions: dishdude and Bobby

mgid_arc_content_shared.southpark.us (2).jpg

Reactions: c-spand
If you are half way into the lane you own it. If the driver speeds up he is going to hit you in a spot that will prove it is his fault.

Reactions: dishdude
I've offered dash-cam video of people breaking the law to the police. They say that they don't have the resources to investigate due to budget cuts and "defund the police" campaigns.
I think they're just making excuses. I haven't heard anybody saying "defund the police" in many a moon. Do you live in an area that actually did it?

Reactions: dishdude
I did some posting at-length last year regarding signal use, particularly as involving entrance-merging. Let me first state that it is a longstanding tenet of the interstate system that on-hwy traffic has obligation in the easement of entry of on-ramp traffic. Citation can be issued in this regard, such as for aggressively-impeding maneuvers, though I've never heard of one having been written. When I'm in the slow lane or other lane subject to entering (ramp) traffic, I keep a forward watch for entrants and modulate speed to accomodate their merging.

As to signaling, if you're accelerating on a merge ramp, your intention should be crystal-clear to on-hwy drivers (or to self-driving vehicles, etc.)- you're coming onto the lane the ramp merges to (duh, there's nowhere otherwise to go). The utility in putting on a turn signal is nil. There is no need to advance-communicate the obvious, that you are merging onto the hwy. I might make exception for a case where I would be looking to further change lanes immediately upon entry, to advise traffic of single or multiple lane change that may not at all be so obvious.

The purpose of signaling should be to communicate intent to others with advance need to know, either of making a turn or a lane change. I'm libertarian enough to believe there should be no requirement to put on signal simply as a matter of rote for every turn or lane change regardless of whether there's any other traffic to be signaled to. A citation for lack of signal should necessarily be accompanied by a statement as to another's advance need to know having gone unmet.

Finally, I would have to agree that seeing a car up ahead on a ramp with its blinker on indicates a possibly inexperienced and/or timid driver. I take particular note of its speed, as these may be coming on quite slowly rather than more-properly accelerating to near the hwy prevailing speed (and may be slowing down others behind it as well, into a big, slow clump), and I may need to alertly either accelerate to clear it, to change lanes or to (ugh) slow down.

But it IS my obligation to address its safe entry.

Reactions: TheKrell
Yes. That and the ridiculous use of social workers responding to so called lesser crimes.
Nice hijack. I don't believe we should be dispatching violence workers to every services call. Either police officers need to be extensively cross-trained in nonviolence, or we need to simply do a lot more first response without badges and guns. You want to hire a dude who can effectively shoot the bad guy, fine, but then don't make him do social work, he's probably not the type. And it will just annoy him as well.

Nice hijack. I don't believe we should be dispatching violence workers to every services call. Either police officers need to be extensively cross-trained in nonviolence, or we need to simply do a lot more first response without badges and guns.
Hijack? :oldlaugh:oldlaugh I was simply answering a question. It's unfortunate that you disagree with my reply. Maybe you should look inward for the real hijacker. :eureka Or call your social worker or emotional support hotline if you feel triggered.