I'm a new customer being ripped off

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrcllusb

Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
GA
Recently had Direct Tv installed in our home.Decided on the Premier Package because it included everything including premium channels for 84.00.Great we thought.Well now we get a bill for 117.00 with a charge for the premium channels!!! So we call and send an e-mail because on their site it clearly states that "Every Premium Movie Channel Included".It took three days to get a solid answer back, and in doing so,their answer was that the premium channels are (A) only free for 90 days" Not stated on their website" and (B) included but at an extra cost!!( Also not stated on their website." What should i do?

Sounds like he didn't. In the other forum, there was someone that thought that because the CSR told them more than once during the order process to ensure they filled out the rebate forms online before the install, that they were trying to scam them...

But as to the 90 days only free for the Premiums, it sure was on the website during the sign up process.

Sounds like he didn't. In the other forum, there was someone that thought that because the CSR told them more than once during the order process to ensure they filled out the rebate forms online before the install, that they were trying to scam them...

But as to the 90 days only free for the Premiums, it sure was on the website during the sign up process.
correct. even with rebates the premium movie channels are usually free for only three months.

I don't understand how people have problems with these things and claim "it wasn't on the website". Anytime I've ever checked the DirecTV website, it clearly states how long these things are. It seems as though people just don't read what their signing up for, they only see what they want.

gigahurtz said:
I don't understand how people have problems with these things and claim "it wasn't on the website". Anytime I've ever checked the DirecTV website, it clearly states how long these things are. It seems as though people just don't read what their signing up for, they only see what they want.

I agree

very true. although in this case it looks like the rebates weren't properly filled in and sent. i don't remember if you have up to 30 days to do this which means it may be too late for the OP to get this resolved

Recently had Direct Tv installed in our home.Decided on the Premier Package because it included everything including premium channels for 84.00.Great we thought.Well now we get a bill for 117.00 with a charge for the premium channels!!! So we call and send an e-mail because on their site it clearly states that "Every Premium Movie Channel Included".It took three days to get a solid answer back, and in doing so,their answer was that the premium channels are (A) only free for 90 days" Not stated on their website" and (B) included but at an extra cost!!( Also not stated on their website." What should i do?
next time read the small print

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

On the website it clearly says that premiums are included in the premier package, for $114.99/month. It sounds like you got an introductory offer at $84/month. Why there is a difference in price is the question. My suggestion is to go to the Directv website and find the "contact us" link. That will connect you with the office of the President of Directv. I'm sure that they will be able to explain to you what the problem is. Please come back and let us know what their response is.

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

On the website it clearly says that premiums are included in the premier package, for $114.99/month. It sounds like you got an introductory offer at $84/month. Why there is a difference in price is the question. My suggestion is to go to the Directv website and find the "contact us" link. That will connect you with the office of the President of Directv. I'm sure that they will be able to explain to you what the problem is. Please come back and let us know what their response is.
yeah the current offer is a credit of $31 a month for 12 months putting it at $84 a month for a year. but thats after the rebate he supposedly sent back is processed.
and welcome mrcllusb to satguys. :) didn't notice you are a newbie :eek:

As a new customer, you are told over and over to FILE YOUR REBATES BEFORE THE INSTALLATION to ensure you get them by your first bill. If you wait until after the installation, it can take upwards of 8 weeks for it to apply to your account. It's really a simple concept. File your rebates prior to your installation date and you'll see the rebate on your first bill.

I am, by no means, a fan of everything DirecTV does but I see this all the time and it just comes down to people not paying attention at all. They want everything spoon fed to them, no matter what their doing. This seems to be a rebate issue, which the customer clearly didn't file in time.

On another note, I wish DirecTV would just do away with the "rebates". I don't understand why they even use this method and not just apply the discounts for new customers when they sign up and that's it. It would save a lot of headaches for everyone involved.

They use it for this reason. Some people either don't do the rebates or wait too long to do. No reason to give away free money! I'm assuming Directv banks on something like this happens. When some people realize they was suppose to cancel the ST we will see this non stop!

yeah the current offer is a credit of $31 a month for 12 months putting it at $84 a month for a year.

Not to hijack the thread but my parents just got DTV and the current offer they got was 31$ a month for 12 months then months 13-24 is 16$ off. Also they got the AAA discount so that is 10$ more off for months 1-20!

This deal showed up for their zip code but not mine until Jan 1st. Now it shows up for both our zip codes so the extra 16$ off may be a regional offer.

As a new customer, you are told over and over to FILE YOUR REBATES BEFORE THE INSTALLATION to ensure you get them by your first bill. If you wait until after the installation, it can take upwards of 8 weeks for it to apply to your account. It's really a simple concept. File your rebates prior to your installation date and you'll see the rebate on your first bill.

I am, by no means, a fan of everything DirecTV does but I see this all the time and it just comes down to people not paying attention at all. They want everything spoon fed to them, no matter what their doing. This seems to be a rebate issue, which the customer clearly didn't file in time.

On another note, I wish DirecTV would just do away with the "rebates". I don't understand why they even use this method and not just apply the discounts for new customers when they sign up and that's it. It would save a lot of headaches for everyone involved.

i fild mine right after my installation was finished and it was applied to my second bill!

Not to hijack the thread but my parents just got DTV and the current offer they got was 31$ a month for 12 months then months 13-24 is 16$ off. Also they got the AAA discount so that is 10$ more off for months 1-20!

This deal showed up for their zip code but not mine until Jan 1st. Now it shows up for both our zip codes so the extra 16$ off may be a regional offer.

i'm glad you brought that up. not everyone knows directv gives another discount to new customers that have AAA. i got that discount when i came to directv. got $10 off for 12 months.

i fild mine right after my installation was finished and it was applied to my second bill!

When I signed up, they told me to go ahead and access my account online and I could take the necessary steps to get the rebates before I was even installed. Signing up with them is like a contract, be sure that you READ everything very carefully, and follow all of the instructions correctly. Not a very hard concept to grasp.

They use it for this reason. Some people either don't do the rebates or wait too long to do. No reason to give away free money! I'm assuming Directv banks on something like this happens. When some people realize they was suppose to cancel the ST we will see this non stop!

No different than manufacturers and stores offering coupons instead of just cutting prices. It sounds great in the ad to "save $100" on a TV, but in reality only 20-25% of the people buying will bother to get the rebate.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)