Status
Please reply by conversation.

Mr Tony

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 17, 2003
Mankato, MN
Well as some of you probably noticed I hadn't been online for a few days (6 to be exact)....well I'm back now :)

But I have an announcement to make to all the free to air folks....I have temporarily gotten out of the Free to air hobby. Not permanently...just temporarily
Now unlike April 1, 2011 when I said I was leaving this is no April Fools joke. I truly am out of the FTA hobby for the time being

Due to some circumstances I had to move out of my house. Since most houses here either people want way too much money to rent them or they look like a crack house I settled on a real nice apartment. While it has a southern view there is no deck or patio (but it has big windows so maybe do a tripod inside). Yes there were some other apartments that I was looking at but either they had no southern view or worse...a semi view (say east up to 101 or 103) but "trees that bloom in spring giving you privacy" (according to the landlord) which to me meant "there goes your view". But the one I settled on was much more a fit for me and doesn't have some of the issues other areas of town do (one apartment complex has alot of issues with bad people which brings down 5 or 6 nearby ones as example)

By no means am I leaving. Heck I felt lost for 6 days with no internet :)
I still have enough knowledge to help out with installs and stuff. But it will be hard honestly to not be able to tinker with the dish farm or just find some weird football game from Eastern Kentucky as example. But as mainly a KU user the only reason I used the FTA system was for sports. I am gonna miss the North Dakota games on MidcoSports though :(
(I know I can get them on DIrectv but I'm not paying $13 a month for the sports pack just for those). It will be weird to print out a list of most of the college basketball, football and hockey games for the week and go "ok these I want to find for sure"...now I have to rely on the actual networks out there ;)

Once in a while I'd watch theCoolTV or PBJ but I can find those options online. Plus as part of my rent I get free lifeline cable which gives me access to MeTV, AntennaTV, ThisTV and BounceTV so I can still watch them like I did on FTA or my antenna.

You might be wondering what happened to the dish farm? All of the dishes (2 6 foot dishes, the motorized 30" and the semi-motorized 36" dish + the 3 TV antennas) are safe and sound right now at my dad's house in his back storage garage (next to the camaro). :)

Once I get settled I might sell some of the old receivers and parts. But not the Micro. That is hooked up to the TV so I can watch stuff I had recorded previously.

So there ya go....I am gonna miss blind scanning and trying to see if I can break the Micro. But I'm sure there will be others who can take my place with that

Thanks guys

Huh, and all this time I figured Scott had fired you, or dropped you in the ocean, or both! (just kidding)

Guess he'd have to start paying you first!

Welcome back Iceberg,congrats on your new move.I had been wondering where you were last couple of days.Kind of stinks that ya can't do fta for now but,on the bright side you get basic cable and cable internet.

I wondered if you might have moved to the cabin you've sometimes mentioned.
At least it had room for dishes. ;)

Welcome back Iceberg,congrats on your new move.I had been wondering where you were last couple of days.Kind of stinks that ya can't do fta for now but,on the bright side you get basic cable and cable internet.
free lifeline cable (Comcast requires a box for anything above that)
internet I have to pay for (unless I wanted to use the wifi in the conference room)....nah upgraded my DSL from 1.5MB to 12MB at the new place (can get 40MB if I wanted but not right now)
satellite is "free" (Directv) but there was a catch...the thread in the Directv area covers it pretty well
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/299254-Yay!-I-get-to-keep-my-HR34

The DSL move was suppose be Tuesday but when I called them they said no it was the 6th.
But with unpacking it kept my mind off of the board :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I wondered if you might have moved to the cabin you've sometimes mentioned.
thats a couple hours north of Minneapolis and then I'd be back at square one for a job
At least it had room for dishes. ;)
true...but I'd have to get it approved from the landlord there (my dad) ;)

free lifeline cable (Comcast requires a box for anything above that)
internet I have to pay for (unless I wanted to use the wifi in the conference room)....nah upgraded my DSL from 1.5MB to 12MB at the new place (can get 40MB if I wanted but not right now)
satellite is "free" (Directv) but there was a catch...the thread in the Directv area covers it pretty well
http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/299254-Yay!-I-get-to-keep-my-HR34

The DSL move was suppose be Tuesday but when I called them they said no it was the 6th.
But with unpacking it kept my mind off of the board :)

12Mb dsl not bad at all.Does the basic cable have any hd channels?

any option was 29.99 for 6 months (even the 40MB)....for 12MB its 35.00 after 6 months (40MB was like 70)

as for cable here is the QAM (the only channels not posted were 110-1 thru 110-10 which is the networks in SD)
2-1 TPT 2 HD (PBS)
2-2 TPT Minnesota
2-3 TPT LIfe HD (2nd PBS)
2-4 TPT WX
4-1 WCCO HD (CBS)
5-1 KSTP HD (ABC)
5-2 KSTC HD (IND)
5-3 MeTV
5-4 AntennaTV
5-5 Live Well
5-6 ThisTV
9-1 KMSP HD (FOX)
9-2 KMSP SD
11-1 KARE HD (NBC)
11-2 KARE 11 Weather
23-1 WUCW HD (CW)
23-2 CoolTV slate
23-3 The Country Network (WUCW)
29-1 WFTC HD (MY NETWORK)
29-2 WFTC SD
41-1 KPXM HD (ION)
50-1 WGN HD
84-1 Metro 6 Regional Access
84-2 Univision
84-3 QVC
84-4 CSpan2
84-5 CSpan
84-6 WGN
84-7 24/7 ADS
84-11 SBN (Sonlife TV...the same as on 97W)
85-67 HSN
92-11 Comcast PPV Previews
93-11 TBN
93-14 Educational Access
93-15 Public Access
93-16 Government Access
107-5 ShopNBC
107-9 EWTN
107-10 Jewelry TV
110-11 GOD TV
114-1 TBS
115-50 CNN

so all the nets + WGN in HD

Not too shabby for free.That's also a very competitive price on the dsl 12Mb.It costs $45 with AT&T for 6Mb here.Charter cable internet $40 but thats the 30 down plan.

Go to dslreports & check out the hughes forum. You would be grateful for any internet other than satellite.

Go to dslreports & check out the hughes forum. You would be grateful for any internet other than satellite.

Oh I definitely agree with you there.Dsl was nice could have been better priced and AT&T service stinks but,still better than sat.

Well, the dishes will keep. Now, about that Camaro..... ;)

I know a couple of those guys that are programers for Hughes....and yes they are working some long hours....I just got a firmware update though and things are starting to look up.

Welcome back Iceberg, sorry to hear you are stuck in a black hole with no dishes, that would be like prison to me. Maybe you can work something out through the windows!

Turbo you made me think, Yes Tony...You have got to try that one day soon, I am curious to see the results.

Welcome back Iceberg, sorry to hear you are stuck in a black hole with no dishes, that would be like prison to me.
its ok for me....like I say it was mainly for sports and with my weird work schedule the only time I seemed to be up was during the afternoon or like at 3AM ;)

Maybe you can work something out through the windows!
thats a down the road thing....like after X-Mas

Since you've got good internet access, maybe an $8/mo Netflix subscription?

If you only want live sports in real time, I don't know.
I download Formula One races (and all Friday/Saturday practice & qualifying shows, too), often in 720p.
Watching 12-18 hours delayed is fine; I never know who wins 'till I see it. ;)

Thanks for all you do for everyone on the forum and glad to hear you're sticking around. Oh, and one other thing...
I am gonna miss the North Dakota games on MidcoSports though :(

Just tune in a decent-looking hockey game and put about a dozen shower curtains over your TV screen. You'll have the same visual effect.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)