I'm back....and an announcement to the FTA folks

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Hi "T"

Hey, sorry for the LOSS of your LOS from your new pad. So to speak anyway. You know I am in about the same position here. I have moved back home to my folk's home and have no satellite set up here. Although, I have been surveying it and I think I can get all my old Ku band sats to come in right here! 30 W through 125 W, I just don't know if my Mom would appreciate my dish farm in her back yard. I am waiting to save up some cash to remodel "MY" house and when that is done I can set up my dishes again over there. Right now, I want to just set up the 1.2 M GeoSatPro for my general Ku use and play around with it. Like you mentioned, maybe you could set up a tripod to look out the window, that would be something anyway.

RADAR "G"

I think I am having withdrawals from the "hobby habit"! HA :)

I am glad that you got some free cable Tv.

Will miss all of your knowledge, help, and all of your input at this forum. Take care.

avenger

Last edited:
i been back at it asking a bunch of questions lately, and when you didnt chime in i was wondering if you went on to other things, glad your still around, sorry about your dish erectile problem, hopefully only temporary

Hope the new situation works well for you Ice.
I think it will for now.
Honestly moving is a big burden off of my shoulders. As I posted in the pub area about "what makes me happy" I listed a bunch of reasons that made me happy. But a couple really pound home why I'm happy to be moved
most utilities are included in rent so saving money there
The utilities were killing what little money I had. During the summer when the air was running the electric bill/water bill would be 160-175 bucks. In the winter it would "Drop" down to around 100. The gas bill during the summer was only 15-20 bucks (only thing on gas was the hot water heater) but during the winter the furnace made that bill usually over 100 bucks. Throw in an association fee of over 150 bucks for basically would be snow plowing and garbage (the other stuff I didnt care about...why do I care if another driveway gets replaced) and there is alot of money there. Only thing I have to pay at the apartment is the electric which will be dramatically less. Heat included, water included, garbage included and no association fees :)

dont have to worry about things at the old house like "is the fridge about to die?" or "will the furnace kick on" or "holy crap the dishwasher is loud. I have to leave and go somewheres".
The house ended up being a money pit the last couple years. The appliances were getting old (all over 12-13 years old) so we really didnt want to replace anything unless it was necessary (like when the hot water heater rusted out and the bottom fell out) but worrying if the fridge would keep up or if the furnace would kick on just got to the point that I worried constantly about it. And if something broke I am no maintenance man....sure I can build and install a motorized dish in a couple hours but it took me a good hour to change out a faucet. Now if something breaks thats what the maintenance people are here for :)

In all honesty the last couple years when I was on and off unemployed I kept saying "If I didnt have this damn house I could move wherever I wanted to".

You may be out of part of the game for a while but I'm sure you will continue to share your vast storehouse of knowledge when you can, as you have in the past.
I'm sure I still will retain a wee bit of info still :)

As I said previously sure I'll miss seeing some of the weird channels out there, Heck for a year or so I'd turn on Doc Scott and end up falling asleep....until he hollered "GIT ON THE TELEPHONE" :) But for me right now this is a better option. Maybe a year from now I'll be moved into a different house where I can put up 4 C-Band dishes in the back yard :)

Wow! Ice, I was just about to Start a Thread "Where the Heck is Iceberg?" until I saw this.
I did get a couple PM"s from folks wondering if I was maybe on vacation or something because I hadnt been in in a few days. I was just waiting on my internet and since I dont have a laptop (yet) I couldnt use the wifi in the conference room.

Glad you moved and found a comfortable place and all, but I can't seem to fathom Iceberg no being able to Ghetto Move his 6ft dishes anymore! :eek:Thanks, for being you!:)
I think my neighbors are going to miss that too seeing me out there moving the big dish around

I am glad that you got some free cable Tv.
eh other than the locals in HD and the subchannels I got via the antenna the "free" cable is nothing to write home about. I did take my smaller antenna and put that in the walk in closet and did get all the stations (sans 2 low powered religious ones) at almost the same strength as when it was on the roof

We miss you around you around here not the same with out you. I had a temporary filled in for you as Ice Breaker he he ha ha. Hope you like your new place and you can get on your feet again.

Dan Rose

cmon that was funny.

Dan Rose

Funny ain't the word I was thinking..... More like you got into your dad's liquor stash, and typed that up after having a bit too much! :p :D

It was awesome though. It allowed me to make a post of nothing but smilies, but yet completely understandable to everybody that tried to read your post!

Well, I second Danr's motion!

Yes... Ice, I miss you around you, too! Especially when you're here! Sometimes I miss you when you're not around you, like when you're gone, but I was gone too so I didn't know that I was supposed to be missing you, were you here? I missed that. So, if I missed you when you were here, I was missing then, too. So I didn't know whether I should be missing you or not. But, if you were gone, I was gone too and didn't know that I was supposed to be be missing you either, so I missed that, too. I am sorry that I missed you. Next time, leave a message when you are gone so that we know when you are not here when we are gone from here, too. Then, we can all miss you when we are not us and not here and when you are not around you and everyone has gone somewhere else. Let us know when you return, unless of course you are back, then we'll be back too and there won't be any point in missing you because you will be here, and we will be here and no one will ever know that any of us have ever left.

The next time you are gone, and if you ever get to where I am... TURN BACK!!!

Gordy :)

one thing I forgot to mention is here at the complex there is a Directv World dish and I get 3 channels from that satellite (as part of my package programming)

CCTV9 (the news channel that is in English)
some Filipino church channel
MHZ Worldview (the same one that use to be on 97 a while back and is on some PBS subchannels OTA) and they have alot of news programs from Russia Today, France24, Al JAzeera English and other FTA news outlets

so its nice to see some FTA news programming :)

Maybe you can talk the landlord into putting up some dishes on the roof if it is a flat one and put some nonpenetrating mounts up there to pull in some additional free channels for not just you but other tenants.

Well when RADAR left for a bit I was told to fill in for him. So I called my self SONAR always bouncing ideas off everybody and every object.

Dan Rose

Ice,

You first offered your wisdom to me back when I didn't know L-band from LNB. I'm able to help others with their FTA matters because of you. And I know hundreds of others have benefitted from your knowledge, too! Good luck in your future endeavors! We look forward to seeing you around!

And hey, you don't have to pay some association fee to shovel up this weekend's light dusting. :)

Cheers!

lol.

dang Ice, you should convince your pops to let you set some up at his place and use a slingbox.

he has bigger line of site issues. So can't use any of the C-Band dishes and KU I'd have to put on the peak of the roof and he wont allow that (already asked) ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)