I'm confused re: Protection Plan

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Big_Ed

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 11, 2005
Athol, MA
I did a search and read the recent thread on this topic, but I find myself confused. Maybe I'm an idiot.

I had Dish Network for 5 years, recently switched to Directv. I did NOT have any protection plan on Dish. Twice in the 5 years I had to have service calls for bad equipment (one switch and one wire). I was not charged for these calls. Probably had another couple instances where I had issues that were debugged over the phone -- again, I was not charged.

So if I have an issue with Directv and I don't opt for the plan, I would be charged for service calls, phone calls, and equipment? Is that correct?

I'm just trying to make sense of whether this insurance is what I need. As background, I don't know dick about debugging technical errors when they crop up.

The DirecTV Protection Plan costs $5.99/month or ~$72.00/year. A service call after the first 60/90 days costs $90.00.

The protection plan covers just about anything shy of you causing damage to your system. It provides unlimited realignments if needed, pays the shipping fee if you need a replacement receiver, etc... DirecTV doesn't charge for phone calls, that I'm aware of.

Something to keep in mind is that with your new install, your system is already covered by a warranty for the first 60/90 days. It takes 30 days for the protection plan to go into effect, but you will have time to evaluate your system for problems before you have to make up your mind.

I did a search and read the recent thread on this topic, but I find myself confused. Maybe I'm an idiot.

I had Dish Network for 5 years, recently switched to Directv. I did NOT have any protection plan on Dish. Twice in the 5 years I had to have service calls for bad equipment (one switch and one wire). I was not charged for these calls. Probably had another couple instances where I had issues that were debugged over the phone -- again, I was not charged.

So if I have an issue with Directv and I don't opt for the plan, I would be charged for service calls, phone calls, and equipment? Is that correct?

I'm just trying to make sense of whether this insurance is what I need. As background, I don't know dick about debugging technical errors when they crop up.

No your not dumb cause the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.;)

DirecTV's protection plan is different from Dish because when you get DirecTV's protection plan and need service it's no charge,compared to $30. with Dish.Also DirecTV's protection plan covers dish realignments and equipment that has been cooked due to electrical surges.It also covers all parts and labor too of course.;)

If you don't have the plan DirecTV can charge you $19.95 S&H to replace a leased receiver if it goes bad or $90.+ parts for a service call.DirecTV's protection plan takes 30 days to activate.:welcome ;)

Status
Please reply by conversation.