I'm Done with Dish

hammerdown

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 14, 2005
Northern California
After 13 years with Dish, I'm done. Started with a 300 box, to 6000 box, to 722. Always been satisfied with HD Only channel package but when they kicked everyone off Absolute, I only stayed because of discounts. Now those discounts are expired and my bill is now double what it was. So I started looking around at other options and have made the switch to Comcast with Tivo Elite. I am not bitter. I really didn't want to give up cool features like sling, external storage, blockbuster. Here's why I switched:

1. GF needs TFC Filipino Channel (Dish does not carry).
2. I love my Comcast 15M internet. The internet + Tv bundle will save me money over keeping both providers (even with monthly tivo fee, tivo box 18mo financing, comcast cablecard & two extra room boxes fees).
3. Comcast Tv package actually costs a lot less than Top200+Locals+Platinum/BB. Yes, there are channels that Comcast does not have but I'm ok with paying less.
4. Blockbuster bluray disc service has become a joke.

This is my first Tivo and just in the first two days I can say that it's better than the 722. Guide & Menus are faster, better looking, easier searching for shows, actors, netflix, hulu plus, Apps, transfer recordings to PC/iPad, expandable storage, remote scheduling, comcast online library with PC/iPad. The Tivo Elite has more storage, is half the height, and runs way quieter and cooler. Lipsync is also much better than 722.

The other BIG thing I noticed is the HD channels have better picture quality with Comcast Tivo Elite than with Dish 722. I've had HD with Dish since 1999 and watched as HD Lite crept in ruined what HD should look like. Specifically, the comcast channels are noticeably sharper. I can actually see a difference between Dish's downrezzed 1280x1080 and real 1920x1080. And there is almost zero high-motion macro-blocking on Comcast, compared to Dish's "turbo hd" which is like watching medium bitrate internet video at times. I would even go as far as saying local channels look better than OTA. Probably because full bitrate from station to comcast is better than OTA with subchannels to antenna. The Dish channels have looked like mush for a long time, I had forgotten how good HD can look!

Bye Charlie

I can actually see a difference between Dish's downrezzed 1280x1080 and real 1920x1080. And there is almost zero high-motion macro-blocking on Comcast, compared to Dish's "turbo hd" which is like watching medium bitrate internet video at times. I would even go as far as saying local channels look better than OTA. Probably because full bitrate from station to comcast is better than OTA with subchannels to antenna. The Dish channels have looked like mush for a long time, I had forgotten how good HD can look!

Bye Charlie

Enjoy your new service. But there's no way you're getting "real 1920 X 1080" from Comcast. Such a signal isn't available from the providers. And OTA should be noticeably better than Comcast networks as well. Much less compressed.

But whatever makes you happy. That's the most important thing regardless of provider.

I agree with you on point 4. I am deeply disapointed with the Blockbuster disc service.

The rest of your points are personal decissions and I can't argue with them, you got to do whats best for you and your family.

I will say however that HD quality varies by area and by cable provider. Around here our HD channels from Comcast and COX look like mud, the HD signal is worlds better on DISH. But there are some areas where they have decent HD service.

Again whatever you decide to do IS the best thing for your situation so I wish you well. :)

I will say however that HD quality varies by area and by cable provider. Around here our HD channels from Comcast and COX look like mud, the HD signal is worlds better on DISH. But there are some areas where they have decent HD service.

Agreed! TWC called and offered us a stellar deal- $80/mo for tv+internet w/ 3 HD-DVRs. We currently pay ~$160 for dish+internet. Roadrunner internet is fantastic ($60/mo), but time warner HD and DVRs stink.

We have never gotten a deal from Dish. No discount, nada. However, we are happy with the equipment we own and package we pay for. Everyone is happy and it works- leave it alone.

Really do not know what people were expecting when their discounts were going to expire. best of luck to them.

fyi- if FIOS ever becomes available, we will jump ship too, lol....

Best of luck to you. You are fortunate to have options where you are. In my area, cable picture quality stinks and costs significantly more (after sign-on discounts run out).

I personally believe with the channels and hardware in place, Dish Network has one of the best services available (along with Directv). If you are fortunate enough to live in a Frontier area then bundling is available to save you some extra money. You get 15% off your Dish bill plus $5 plus another 5% off your phone and internet bill. By bundling Dish with Frontier you save around $20 a month more than if you did not bundle Dish Network with the service. Our total bundling savings is around $28 per month. Not as good as cable broadband though unfortunately.

After 13 years with Dish, I'm done. Started with a 300 box, to 6000 box, to 722. Always been satisfied with HD Only channel package but when they kicked everyone off Absolute, I only stayed because of discounts. Now those discounts are expired and my bill is now double what it was. So I started looking around at other options and have made the switch to Comcast with Tivo Elite. I am not bitter. I really didn't want to give up cool features like sling, external storage, blockbuster. Here's why I switched:

1. GF needs TFC Filipino Channel (Dish does not carry).
2. I love my Comcast 15M internet. The internet + Tv bundle will save me money over keeping both providers (even with monthly tivo fee, tivo box 18mo financing, comcast cablecard & two extra room boxes fees).
3. Comcast Tv package actually costs a lot less than Top200+Locals+Platinum/BB. Yes, there are channels that Comcast does not have but I'm ok with paying less.
4. Blockbuster bluray disc service has become a joke.

This is my first Tivo and just in the first two days I can say that it's better than the 722. Guide & Menus are faster, better looking, easier searching for shows, actors, netflix, hulu plus, Apps, transfer recordings to PC/iPad, expandable storage, remote scheduling, comcast online library with PC/iPad. The Tivo Elite has more storage, is half the height, and runs way quieter and cooler. Lipsync is also much better than 722.

The other BIG thing I noticed is the HD channels have better picture quality with Comcast Tivo Elite than with Dish 722. I've had HD with Dish since 1999 and watched as HD Lite crept in ruined what HD should look like. Specifically, the comcast channels are noticeably sharper. I can actually see a difference between Dish's downrezzed 1280x1080 and real 1920x1080. And there is almost zero high-motion macro-blocking on Comcast, compared to Dish's "turbo hd" which is like watching medium bitrate internet video at times. I would even go as far as saying local channels look better than OTA. Probably because full bitrate from station to comcast is better than OTA with subchannels to antenna. The Dish channels have looked like mush for a long time, I had forgotten how good HD can look!

Bye Charlie

All providers use what you call HD Lite. comcast included.

BTW the picture on the hopper is even better than the 772k i swapped out for. same for the joey

Have fun with Comcast. Surprised that Comcast had an international channel that Dish didn't. Dish seems to have a ton of those.
I have Dish and Direct both and the picture quality on Direct tv blows Dish right out of the water!!!!! no comparision!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Well, I can't debunk that... not with that many exclamation points. I will say I was watching Frozen Planet on Animal Planet... the HD picture seemed quite nice to me.

I'm done in July. I can't wait to finally be rid of them. Turned on ESPN tonight, and can't even watch the Redsox and Yankee's preseason game. Blacked out for us poor NY customers. :mad:

Of course there can be technical reasons. There is a difference between an older Roady XM radio sound, and a newer XM Epress radio. I can play them side by side (I have) and the Express has clearer more defined sound. I have no Idea if the Hopper has any better picture quality, but there are technical reasons it could. Better yet - Some TV's give a better pictures than others, for technical reasons. Advancements are made all the time, it doesn't have to come from the signal, it can and does come from the receiver of that signal and the codecs, etc...

rapidturtle said:
I'm done in July. I can't wait to finally be rid of them. Turned on ESPN tonight, and can't even watch the Redsox and Yankee's preseason game. Blacked out for us poor NY customers. :mad:

And you are surprised about the blackout? It was blacked out for New England customers as well. Of course it was on NESN...

Ross

Sent from my rooted DROIDX (Liberty Gingerbread) using SatelliteGuys

inazsully said:
I can't imagine any technical reason why the Hopper should provide better PQ than a 722/722K. If anybody has one I'd love to hear it.

The guides and menus are in HD, but programming is not any different.

JayStil said:
Enjoy your new service. But there's no way you're getting "real 1920 X 1080" from Comcast. Such a signal isn't available from the providers. And OTA should be noticeably better than Comcast networks as well. Much less compressed.

But whatever makes you happy. That's the most important thing regardless of provider.

No one is providing 1080p on anything other than on demand services. OTA will always look better than anything being compressed.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I agree with you on point 4. I am deeply disapointed with the Blockbuster disc service.

The rest of your points are personal decissions and I can't argue with them, you got to do whats best for you and your family.

Again whatever you decide to do IS the best thing for your situation so I wish you well. :)

What's wrong with the Blockbuster disc service? I've had zero issues.

.... OTA will always look better than anything being compressed.

The flaw in this logic is that OTA has 19Mb to work with, and when they add one or two subchannels it's down to 8-10Mb for the video on the primary. I have had OTA for 12 years and watched it go downhill as subchannels got added. This week I could not believe my eyes when I got Comcast. The locals look better than OTA, period. It can be seen instantly, just compare the opening of CSI, Hawaii Five-0, American Idol, etc with all the moving graphics. No macro-blocking on Comcast. Whatever they are doing here, it is better than OTA. And it's not just the locals. ALL the channels look WAY better than Dish's, but then it's not that hard to beat 4Mb mpeg4 1280x1080 turbo hd.