I'm Done with Dish

I'm done in July. I can't wait to finally be rid of them. Turned on ESPN tonight, and can't even watch the Redsox and Yankee's preseason game. Blacked out for us poor NY customers. :mad:
So was anyone else getting it. I seriously doubt it. D* would be under the same rules too. Maybe local cable might be able to carry it.

just compare the opening of CSI, Hawaii Five-0, etc with all the moving graphics. No macro-blocking on Comcast.
LOL. You are not seeing macro-blocking on those openings...it's image/graphic manipulation. It's the same on OTA as it is on Dish, Direct AND Comcast. There was a production article on Five-O about the intentional "noise" in the opening.

Last edited:
Why does everyone switching from Dish to whatever always post trash threads in this forum. Why can't you just GO quietly?

I can understand sometimes there really is a valid reason, such as a NY subscriber saying he's had enough, time to get Direct to watch sports. Doesn't hurt for Dish, maybe through the DIRT team or on their own to see that.
But too often reasons that turn out to be incorrect are posted..... and the reason for leaving makes no sense.

I can understand sometimes there really is a valid reason, such as a NY subscriber saying he's had enough, time to get Direct to watch sports. Doesn't hurt for Dish, maybe through the DIRT team or on their own to see that.
But too often reasons that turn out to be incorrect are posted..... and the reason for leaving makes no sense.

no more freebies..... he was going to have to start paying the actual price for service.

LOL. You are not seeing macro-blocking on those openings...it's image/graphic manipulation. It's the same on OTA as it is on Dish, Direct AND Comcast. There was a production article on Five-O about the intentional "noise" in the opening.

Link please? I'm not talking about grain. This is digital blocking. I'm not just talking about show opening graphics. This is sports motion, stage lighting in concert footage, explosions/fire, etc, Anything with fast changing/moving video that encoding can't keep up with because the bitrate is set too low.

My original post states exactly why I switched and that I am not bitter toward Dish. My observations about Tivo equipment and comcast picture quality would not have been posted if I wasn't truly blown away by the difference.

Why does everyone switching from Dish to whatever always post trash threads in this forum. Why can't you just GO quietly?

Because in any "break up " in a relationship , you want closure and you want to get the last word. Same in many people's business relationships too. How many times have you ended a company over the way you were treated? And did you simply walk away and not say something about it to any friends or family? OF course you did. You have to feel like you were justified in your decision to end it.

Been thinking of trying dish when my contract with Cox is up. Fees on Cox are higher than dish. Although my picture quality here is very good. Even SD which I hardly ever watch is better than what I remember with Directv. Have never had Dish with HD. Had it many many years ago before I got an HD tv. Was worried how the pic would look on my 64" plasma tv as big screens really magnify any blocking. Do they still do the HD lite that I used to read so much about?

I'm done in July. I can't wait to finally be rid of them. Turned on ESPN tonight, and can't even watch the Redsox and Yankee's preseason game. Blacked out for us poor NY customers. :mad:

Any Yankee game on YES will be blacked out in any region served by YES. MLB rules and regulations. Not a decision by Dish.

Same reason people who sign up for Dish for the first time sometimes post a thread talking about how excited they are to be giving Dish a try. This is a forum about Dish. People are going to post things they want to talk about related to Dish- why they joined, why they left, how the service is while they're a member, etc..

Any Yankee game on YES will be blacked out in any region served by YES. MLB rules and regulations. Not a decision by Dish.

But not carrying YES is a decision made by Dish, and, that game would have been available on ESPN to the original poster had he made the switch to cable earlier. He wants to switch to cable so he can watch his favorite baseball team- something he can no longer do on Dish. Seems like a good reason for switching to me. I'd say the same thing if the circumstances were reversed and the guy was switching from cable to Dish because cable didn't carry his favorite baseball team and Dish did. Sports are often a really big factor in why people pay for tv in the first place, and, if the local teams aren't on, people will tend to cancel the service and look for a service that meets their needs.

JayStil said:
Enjoy your new service. But there's no way you're getting "real 1920 X 1080" from Comcast. Such a signal isn't available from the providers. And OTA should be noticeably better than Comcast networks as well. Much less compressed.

But whatever makes you happy. That's the most important thing regardless of provider.

I don't know what your talking about.... I work for a major national cable channel and have access to our masters from the 7 or so channels we have have in our lineup to offer providers! Every channel is sent to them in full resolution between 30 - 80Mbits depending on the channel and transponder loading in mpeg 2. The quality is stunning!

I made a similar thread like this when I left Dish. LOL!! I've had like all tv service providers. I like switching providers from time to time to see what they all have. I had DirecTV, and didn't really like it. I moved to Dish Network when they had the Voom channels, and loved it! I cancelled Dish because I was a student in college, and couldn't afford it anymore. I couldn't live without a DVR, and I bought Tivo. I saw an offer Time Warner had, and I switched to them. They had a lot of HD channels, but didn't have one channel I wanted in Spanish and Tivo was so slow. I then switched to Sky Mexico and I love the channels, but the HD receiver is the one DirecTV used to use, and it's super slow. I really don't want to get rid of it, but I really want to try the Hopper. LOL.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)