I'm getting really sick and tired of Dish reps lying to me

Digital Dude

Home Theater Editor
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Feb 9, 2005
SHADO
This is the second time this has happened in just over a month. I sub to NHL Center Ice and live 2200 miles from my favorite team as you can tell from my avatar.

Earlier this week I did a search for Sharks hockey SJS feed like I do every week and set my 722 to autotune to the Sharks feed.

I've met and/or talked to the broadcast team several times over the years and REALLY enjoy their broadcasts. I left DirecTV for Dish years ago because Dish showed home and away feeds for games and DirecTV didn't at that time.

Today I checked the scheduled events and the autotune for the Sharks game that was listed on channel 887 (SJS) just said "NHL CENTER ICE" instead of "Ducks at Sharks (SJS)".

I called Dish and the rep "Keisha" stated the feed was blacked out. I called her BS as the SJ feed is listed on DirecTV's website!

Keisha reiterated that the feed was blacked out, I said "Really, for a game 2200 miles away that is being broadcast on DirecTV and Cable systems Nationwide?"

I also emailed Comcast Sports Net Bay Area about Dish dropping the Sharks feed, a home game no less, less than 24 hours before faceoff. This is the reply from CSNBA
____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding tonight's Sharks game. I'm not as familiar with the blackout requirements for Center Ice so I'll look into it (though I probably won't get very far until Monday when people are back in the office). As far as I know, we only blackout on our network channel and don't blackout Center Ice. I'll check with both Center Ice and Dish Network, but as far as I know (especially if DirecTV has our broadcast up), I'd think you should be able to get it on Dish Center Ice as well. But again, I'm not totally sure and I'll check. And, of course, Go Sharks!

Best Regards,
Ben

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So WHY is the default response of Dish CSR's "It's blacked out" when they don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground and, when provided proof they still LIE rather than man up and tell the real reason? It's not like they don't have the bandwidth at 10:30 PM eastern when the vast majority of Sports HD feeds on RSNs etc have been shut down.

We suffered thru 7 weeks of losing our NBC affiliate without calling to complain ask for a discount etc yet I get lied to every time Dish pulls a fast one on Center Ice?

Is anyone else getting bald faced lies when they call in?

This is the second time this has happened in just over a month. I sub to NHL Center Ice and live 2200 miles from my favorite team as you can tell from my avatar. Earlier this week I did a search for Sharks hockey SJS feed like I do every week and set my 722 to autotune to the Sharks feed. I've met and/or talked to the broadcast team several times over the years and REALLY enjoy their broadcasts. I left DirecTV for Dish years ago because Dish showed home and away feeds for games and DirecTV didn't at that time. Today I checked the scheduled events and the autotune for the Sharks game that was listed on channel 887 (SJS) just said "NHL CENTER ICE" instead of "Ducks at Sharks (SJS)". I called Dish and the rep "Keisha" stated the feed was blacked out. I called her BS as the SJ feed is listed on DirecTV's website! Keisha reiterated that the feed was blacked out, I said "Really, for a game 2200 miles away that is being broadcast on DirecTV and Cable systems Nationwide?" I also emailed Comcast Sports Net Bay Area about Dish dropping the Sharks feed, a home game no less, less than 24 hours before faceoff. This is the reply from CSNBA ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Dear Brian, Thank you for your inquiry regarding tonight's Sharks game. I'm not as familiar with the blackout requirements for Center Ice so I'll look into it (though I probably won't get very far until Monday when people are back in the office). As far as I know, we only blackout on our network channel and don't blackout Center Ice. I'll check with both Center Ice and Dish Network, but as far as I know (especially if DirecTV has our broadcast up), I'd think you should be able to get it on Dish Center Ice as well. But again, I'm not totally sure and I'll check. And, of course, Go Sharks! Best Regards, Ben ____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ So WHY is the default response of Dish CSR's "It's blacked out" when they don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground and, when provided proof they still LIE rather than man up and tell the real reason? It's not like they don't have the bandwidth at 10:30 PM eastern when the vast majority of Sports HD feeds on RSNs etc have been shut down. We suffered thru 7 weeks of losing our NBC affiliate without calling to complain ask for a discount etc yet I get lied to every time Dish pulls a fast one on Center Ice? Is anyone else getting bald faced lies when they call in?

I dumped dish NHL for direct NHL long
Ago. No MSG on Dish.
Center ice should show the games you want.
I'm sure your under contract but check Direc. No one does sports better.
By the way I'm no shill for Direc. I despise their customer service. It sucks!

Word of advice, DO NOT SCHEDULE TIMERS ON ALTERNATIVE CHANNELS BEFORE WEDNESDAY UPLINK. In fact I usually wait until the day before to schedule it. Here's why, the channel number may change between lets say Monday and Saturday. Did you search the rest of the NHLCI channels before doing all of this contacting and making this post?

I'm guessing the problem happens when the SJS are on Comcast Sports Plus. That happens when the Kings play at the same time. Also if nationally televised. I'm guessing the Ducks feed was on. And as Deadlocked said, if on an alternate channel, that can get moved especially if the original broadcasting channel moves it to a another of their channels.

The reps can only tell you what they have on their computers in front of them. What may be displayed today might not be whats displayed tomorrow.

DISH has always done poor in its sports scheduling and sports coverage overall.

I also suspect part of their training involves giving the answer "it's blacked out by the league" and they don't even have to pay enough attention or even know what sport you're talking about.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

The reps can only tell you what they have on their computers in front of them. What may be displayed today might not be whats displayed tomorrow.

DISH has always done poor in its sports scheduling and sports coverage overall.

Brutally honest Scott.

As Scott pointed out, I don't think that the reps are deliberately lying to you, they are just reading the script on their screens. They probably do not know the real answer themselves.

This is a perfect example for Dish Pass timers. ALT channels can change last minute and Dish Pass would not fail to pick them up.

It may be too late for this season but I reccomend NHL Gamecenter Live over NHL Center Ice on Dish. All games are carried except those blacked out because they are on National TV. You get home and away feeds and I can watch them live or delayed. This is my 2nd season with Gamecenter after 3 seasons with Center Ice through DISH. Wouldn't dream of going back at this point.

This is the second time this has happened in just over a month. I sub to NHL Center Ice and live 2200 miles from my favorite team as you can tell from my avatar.

Earlier this week I did a search for Sharks hockey SJS feed like I do every week and set my 722 to autotune to the Sharks feed.

I've met and/or talked to the broadcast team several times over the years and REALLY enjoy their broadcasts. I left DirecTV for Dish years ago because Dish showed home and away feeds for games and DirecTV didn't at that time.

Today I checked the scheduled events and the autotune for the Sharks game that was listed on channel 887 (SJS) just said "NHL CENTER ICE" instead of "Ducks at Sharks (SJS)".

I called Dish and the rep "Keisha" stated the feed was blacked out. I called her BS as the SJ feed is listed on DirecTV's website!

Keisha reiterated that the feed was blacked out, I said "Really, for a game 2200 miles away that is being broadcast on DirecTV and Cable systems Nationwide?"

I also emailed Comcast Sports Net Bay Area about Dish dropping the Sharks feed, a home game no less, less than 24 hours before faceoff. This is the reply from CSNBA

Dear Brian,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding tonight's Sharks game. I'm not as familiar with the blackout requirements for Center Ice so I'll look into it (though I probably won't get very far until Monday when people are back in the office). As far as I know, we only blackout on our network channel and don't blackout Center Ice. I'll check with both Center Ice and Dish Network, but as far as I know (especially if DirecTV has our broadcast up), I'd think you should be able to get it on Dish Center Ice as well. But again, I'm not totally sure and I'll check. And, of course, Go Sharks!

Best Regards,
Ben

So WHY is the default response of Dish CSR's "It's blacked out" when they don't know their rear end from a hole in the ground and, when provided proof they still LIE rather than man up and tell the real reason? It's not like they don't have the bandwidth at 10:30 PM eastern when the vast majority of Sports HD feeds on RSNs etc have been shut down.

We suffered thru 7 weeks of losing our NBC affiliate without calling to complain ask for a discount etc yet I get lied to every time Dish pulls a fast one on Center Ice?

Is anyone else getting bald faced lies when they call in?

If you go to mydish.com and use the Game Finder, you will see EXACTLY what the Dish CSRs see. Nobody is deliberately lying to you. They are telling you what the GameFinder tool tells them. I'm sorry that not every Dish CSR is enough of a hockey fan to know every game and every blackout, but what they tell you is what they know. If you don't like it, complain higher up the food chain, and stop taking it out on the phone reps.

And if you say "They should ask their boss", well, their boss has the same tool. And the boss' boss has the same tool. Others here who know far more about hockey have suggested that setting up a timer too early will show the wrong channel. I can't say whether that is right or wrong, but if it is right, perhaps checking the GameFinder on the website on the day of the game would be a wise idea.

They (the customer) should also check their priorities if they think making that big of a deal out of a game is so important.
If the customer has paid Dish $168 (appr.) for Center Ice it seems reasonable that they get to see the games they paid for. Why does that bother you?

---------------------------

If the games continue to be blacked out in error it is much easier to pursue this issue with the broadcasting the games (or even the NHL) and work it from that end. I've never heard of anyone going through Dish CS and getting to contact the Dish "blackout department", and as you've seen Dish CS themselves do not know anything about blackouts.

A few years ago Dish started incorrectly blacking out Red Sox games in western Connecticut - any attempts to contact Dish about this issue got the same non-response. Subs had to go through NESN to get the issue resolved.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/170131-Blackout-question-NESN-in-western-CT

Last edited: