I'm going to make everyone jealous

Status
Please reply by conversation.
OK it is picture time! It seemed like a good idea at the time to get a 15' dish, but once we got there we discovered that we did not know what we were up against. The screws holding the panels together are allen head screws and were stripping. Also all the nuts on the back were completely rusted and could not be removed. Another guy also taking a dish was using a blow torch and was having much better success than us. We will be going back with a blow torch probably next weekend to finish the job. Attached are pictures taken today.

Attachments

• BigDish 001.jpg
    BigDish 001.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 111
  • BigDish 002.jpg
    BigDish 002.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 125
  • BigDish 003.jpg
    BigDish 003.jpg
    314.2 KB · Views: 98
  • BigDish 004.jpg
    BigDish 004.jpg
    278.7 KB · Views: 113
  • BigDish 005.jpg
    BigDish 005.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 112
  • BigDish 007.jpg
    BigDish 007.jpg
    247.8 KB · Views: 90
  • BigDish 008.jpg
    BigDish 008.jpg
    288.1 KB · Views: 75
  • BigDish 009.jpg
    BigDish 009.jpg
    223.2 KB · Views: 86
  • BigDish 010.jpg
    BigDish 010.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 91
  • BigDish 011.jpg
    BigDish 011.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 78
  • BigDish 012.jpg
    BigDish 012.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 82
  • BigDish 013.jpg
    BigDish 013.jpg
    285.7 KB · Views: 111
  • BigDish 014.jpg
    BigDish 014.jpg
    355.7 KB · Views: 92
  • BigDish 015.jpg
    BigDish 015.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 97
  • BigDish 016.jpg
    BigDish 016.jpg
    334.3 KB · Views: 121
  • BigDish 017.jpg
    BigDish 017.jpg
    330.9 KB · Views: 109
WOW!

THANKS for the amazing pictures! Its going to be a daunting task, hope you guys pull it off!

Shame you did not have a can of WD40 with you, come back in a week and it should come apart that much easier!

VERY NICE Popcorn N More! I'm sure you noticed the feeds on those dishes! They're made for multiple LNBFs, or so it seems. I'm sure you'll find a way to snag the dishes you want!

Oh we had a can of WD40, but as soon as we tried to turn a rusted nut it would break off around the edges and could no longer be turned. The srews were stainless steel, but the nuts were galvanized. The guy next to us used an oxy-acetylene torch to remove the nuts and then simply hammered out the screws. But he later ran out of oxygen and needed to come back another time as well.

I love the feed plate design to allow multiple feeds to be used. The site once had 8-9 dishes, but only 3 remain.

Mapp gas (yellow can)
four or less pieces
U-Hail truck
at least 2 or 3 people to help you.

I saw this dish at my local cable company. It's a beast.

Good luck and keep us posted PopcornNMore.

PopcornNMore said:
Oh we had a can of WD40, but as soon as we tried to turn a rusted nut it would break off around the edges and could no longer be turned. The srews were stainless steel, but the nuts were galvanized. The guy next to us used an oxy-acetylene torch to remove the nuts and then simply hammered out the screws. But he later ran out of oxygen and needed to come back another time as well.

I love the feed plate design to allow multiple feeds to be used. The site once had 8-9 dishes, but only 3 remain.

Stuck bolts and nuts...

Try Kroil(r)

I use it and it's pretty good if you let it sit a day or two. Better than WD40.

A nut splitter also works.

N.B. I'm not connected with the Kroil product except that I use it.

WOW! A beautiful site indeed!
A satellite nuts dream. Someday.......
When i have a place out in the country with a full view of the belt.
Oh well, one can only dream for now :)

Wow! Who will get the first twenty footer?

I want to hear the story he tells his wife. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Good deal! I think there is a arms race deveoling here. Who will get the first 20 foot dish?

I had similar problems with my dish when I rescued it. It had been laying in the woods behind the guy's house for several years. I used an air ratchet to get the bolts and nuts loose, but an impact wrench would have worked even better. Also PB Blaster or Liquid Wrench might work better than WD40.

I live in NY. I'm still trying to figure out how I can fly down, pick one of those bad boys up, and bring it back here in my "carry-on" luggage.:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts