Status
Please reply by conversation.

mikekohl

Prehistoric Satellite Guru
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 4, 2004
Montfort, Wisconsin
Scott has been hinting that I should visit this website and hang out once in a while...so here I am. My name is Mike Kohl, and I operate a small mail-order
satellite equipment business near Plain, Wisconsin. You can read all about what we do (and sell) at www.global-cm.net My satellite background goes
back 30 years, when I was in the Air Force as a satellite uplink technician.
That brought me to Alaska, where I stumbled into the home industry on my own in 1980. First projects were homemade 18 and 20-foot spherical antennas made out of steel framework, curved redwood lined with 1/8 inch
aluminum screen, with a feedhorn on a tripod almost 25 feet away from the
antenna. You learn from your mistakes, and I learned a lot in those first years, and wrote some history doing it. When the economy went South with
$10 a barrel oil in 1987, I did too, ending up in Santa Barbara, California.
Great place to connect with the movers and shakers in the broadcasting and cable industries, as well as some very unusual projects. I almost ended up
in Baghdad in early March 1991, but they wouldn't give me a VISA. SNG uplinking got me financially independent enough to leave California, and I moved back to my Midwest roots in mid 1991. Working as a consultant, I did satellite installations for school districts and other customers in Alaska,
and ended up as a professional instructor for a satellite antenna distributor
in Saudi Arabia. Then I wore a number of hats at Orbitron from 1992-1999,
when it was sold to KTI. I got married to Laurel in 1994, and we decided to find a way to make some extra money without her having to do a "normal" day job. Global Communications was born as a mail order operation parttime
in June 1994, and it became a fulltime business after Orbitron was sold and
many of us were scattered to the winds. We have allied ourselves with the
survivors in the hardware business, and have developed some rather unusual
niche markets...a miniature "Skyvision", but without the overhead and high prices. We do not deal with any of the U.S. DBS systems, concentrating instead on MPEG-2 free to air equipment as well as subscription systems for Canadian services such as Star Choice. Also a place to get all sorts of satellite hardware backed by years of professional experience capable of giving straight answers on how things work, or what to do.

Drop us an Email at globalcm@mhtc.net
Go to the website for other contact information.
It's not just a sales website...we have worked for several years adding
information sections that we hope are useful in assisting those doing satellite installations on their own.

Mike

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum amd let me know if I can ever help you. I am new to satellites and new to the forums, but I am finding a wealth of information here. Good to have you aboard.

I went to your web site and if I read it correct there are some free birds up there that you can get the signal if you have the right equipment. Well any way I'll read more on it to glean more info.

Bob

Hello Mike and welcome, its great to see you here at the forum and I look forward to you adding some of your knowledge and experience to this very interesting and growing field. Again I have been to your web site MANY times and I keep returning when ever I am not sure about anything, you must have put a lot of work into the web site and it shows! Its has a virtual plethora of satellite information and should be every person's first stop if they are at all interested in FTA and indeed any kind of satellite communications........we are not worthy :bow Ok maybe we are, all the best!

Mike helped me figure out what I needed for my C/Ku system and got all the bits and pieces shipped to me. Thanks Mike. It works well, the hardest part was setting the pole in this SW Colorado clay. Took a couple of days to dig the hole.
Bruce

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)