I'm lost!

basmntdweller

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 10, 2005
West Indy
I switched out my DPP twin for a DP twin in order to use a DP34 switch and add an additional receiver. After all connections were made and double checked, I ran the check switch setup and it came up with NC on #1 but found the twin on #2. I swapped the cable on #1 to #3 and the check switch all came out good with NC on #1 and twin on #2 and 3. I don't know if using #3 is a problem but I wasn't getting 119 on #1. I cancelled out of check swith and it went to the acquiring signal screen and has been stuck on step "5 of 5" for about 10 minutes. Before I run additional cable to my 522 receiver I want to get this straightened out and operating properly on my 501. Am I wrong to be using #3 on the switch? Is the switch likely bad since I'm not getting signal through on #1? Why is it stuck on step "5 of 5"?
any answers would be appreciated!
Thanks,,,Matt

What other satellite are you trying to get besides 110/119? When it says NC that could mean alot of things. It's not saying that your not getting a signal from the lnb its just saying that it isn't recognizing anything being attached to that port. It could mean that the switch is bad,or there is a short in the line. Do a check switch with the line not on the receiver then do another check switch and see what it says. Check your coax lines and make sure none of the coax braid is touching the "stinger". If none of that works maybe it is a bad DP34.

I'm only after 110 and 119. I wasn't getting any signal through the #1 port on the switch. Switching the cable from the LNB that receives 119 from #1 to #3 corrected the loss of signal and now I have both satellites working but I am having to use input #3 on the switch to get it. Port #1 appears to not be working.
I let my 501 sit on the acquiring signal screen for about 20 minutes but it never changed. I finally rebooted the receiver and it is now working fine. I ran a second cable to my 522 and it checked out okay and is receiving both satellites fine. My 501 is getting about 120 on signal strength from both satellites but the 522 is getting about 95 on one and 105 on the other. The cable run is a bit longer but should I be losing this much signal?
At this point, my only real concern is whether it's okay to use input port #3 rather than #1 like the graphic on the front of the DP34 shows.
Thanks again,,,Matt

I've never had any problem as to which port you use for a certain satellite. Some people say that it does matter but i've never seen where it makes a difference. How long is the two runs to the 522? How much longer is the one thats getting the lower signal than the one thats getting the better signal? Try swaping the #1 coax to #2input and #2 coax to #1input and see if it still does the same thing.

Less than 10' from switch to the rx getting good signal. Probably 40' of RG6 to the weak signal receiver.
My wife is watching TV now so I'm not allowed to play with stuff while it's in use. I may try swapping cables around again tomorrow. The rest of the evening I'll finish running a cable to the third rx and hooking up a phone jack for it. After that I have to connect cables to tie in a couple other tvs in the house.
Matt

All receivers display signal levels in a different way. Some are lower, some are higher. My 811 displays mid 90s on most TPs, my 311s display 100s in most TPs. So it varies from receiver to receiver. Compare the signal levels using the same TPs.

Port 1 might be bad if you tried 119 and 110 and didn't get anything. It could also be a short stinger in the cable, you might want to make it a little longer and see if it works.

generally the x22 and 625's will read 10 pts lower, don't switch the cables around you are fine for signal

RandallA thats a good idea, make sure the stinger is long enough, these switches don't like short stingers. I forgot all about that one.

My 811 registers lower than my 301. I have the signal peaked out at 125 on most transponders on 119 sat with the 301 but on the 811 they are usually 117 on most of them and the coax going to the 811 is shorter than the coax going to the 301. I've heard of most people saying that is the case with there 811 also. I guess they all have different thresholds.

My 625's scale goes to 125, but peaks out at 98-99 on the best transponder and depending on the day. Some days it's as low as 89, even in the same nice sunshine all day as the day before. Odd, isn't it?

To get back on the subject of the switch, if you didnt get any signal on sat port 1 on the switch then you have a problem and should replace the switch. When one port goes out there is a considerable possibility that the failure will cascade down to the rest of the switch ports. My question to the poster though is why swap out a dish pro plus twin wich can easily run the two receivers for a dish pro twin and a dish pro 34 switch? Are you looking to add a third receiver down the road?

Guys - remember when talking about signal strengths, you need to be posting the numbers for 119/110 transponders 11 & 12 - otherwise it's meaningless, especially with the lower numbers.

Yes, I started this headache wanting to add another receiver. At this point I am concerned with the DP34 going into cascade failure like Van suggested. If it does fail, can I replace it with a generic switch or does it have to be a DP 34? I haven't found any local dealers that sell DP stuff ar reasonable prices.When I was looking for a DP twin the best local price I found was $89.95. I doubt I want to pay their price for a DP 34.
Thanks,,,Matt

Try dishstore.net before you consider ebay for your replacement dp - 34 switch. If you do go the route of ebay shopping then be sure to only buy from someone that has strong positive feed back, time as a seller, and reasonable shipping prices, and be sure you insure the product for shipping. I dont know of any generic switchs out there that work the same as a 34 though I have a gnat of a memory floating around in my head about having read somewhere on a thread here someone talking about a generic switch though I dont remember what type.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)