I'm Motorized!!......but i'm sad

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

DirectDishNet

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 25, 2007
Davenport Iowa
:(
Well, I got my first mortor and installed it today........ Went up easy.....
Before the motor I was getting 50% to 60% on 97W/AMC4/G10r and life was good............ Now with motor i am only getting the 20's on all sats. I don't get it......

Was able to B-Scan the sats and get a few transponders each. Was outside tweaking the dish for a few hours pushing the left and right button ever so gently.

Anyone have this problem?

Not sure what the name of the motor is, I got it from a customer of mine. We traded the motor for a back feed.

I have a mercury II & included pics of my installation.

My USALS are set correct.
I started with the motor at 0
I used the Sadoun
Installing an HH-Mount Motor

DiSEqC & USALS Compatible Motors

Attachments

• P1020537.JPG
    P1020537.JPG
    494.1 KB · Views: 241
  • P1020538.JPG
    P1020538.JPG
    457.9 KB · Views: 198
  • P1020539.JPG
    P1020539.JPG
    619 KB · Views: 223
  • P1020540.JPG
    P1020540.JPG
    468.8 KB · Views: 248
  • P1020536.JPG
    P1020536.JPG
    396.2 KB · Views: 198
Last edited:
I assume the elevation is correct on both the motor and the dish for your location?

Okay, Thats where I got a little confused.......
So lets say that the 97W elevation is 47 for my area, Do I set the motor to 47 and the dish?.........Both set the same?

(scratching my head)

Okay, Do I set the Latitude on the motor or the elevation?
One side of the motor has "Latitude" and the other side has "Elevation"

So Do I set the Elevation on the dish and Latitude on the motor? or visa versa?

My zip code is 85323 if anyone wants to throw me a bone........

I'm going bald........

Motor setting use the latitude scale, and set it to your latitude. Never monkey with it again. :)
The "dish elevation" setting is done on the dish bracket, and because of some inaccuracies in the brackets, this is frequently a major " tuning" point in the initial setup. The dish elevation setting is generally given as a particular angle "minus" a declination angle for your location. THAT is the intial setting on your dish bracket.

Good luck. Make sure you use a "hot" transponder when you are setting up your dish.

:)

Brent

Last edited:
Okay, I set the Latitude to 33.7 and adjusted the dish's elevation........ Looks a little better!!................... I'm going to play with it a little as soon as the neighbors dog stops barking so much..........
Think I got a better understanding now......

There are two things written in stone.
1) Your pole needs to be as perfectly plumb as you can make it.
2) Set motor latitude scale to your latitude
The azimuth setting and dish elevation bracket are your adjustment points. I find that a TV and receiver out at the pole is the easiest way to work. When I finally tighten down the Ubolts mounting the motor, I tighten them alternately , watching my signal, because this "torquing" will also affect your aim.

Good luck, don't be a stranger , now, report back frequently.

Brent

There are two things written in stone.
1) Your pole needs to be as perfectly plumb as you can make it.
2) Set motor latitude scale to your latitude
The azimuth setting and dish elevation bracket are your adjustment points. I find that a TV and receiver out at the pole is the easiest way to work. When I finally tighten down the Ubolts mounting the motor, I tighten them alternately , watching my signal, because this "torquing" will also affect your aim.

Good luck, don't be a stranger , now, report back frequently.

Brent

Thanks!!...

The mast is mounted to a block wall and I made sure it was perfectly plumb and leval.......

Quick question:
Do I play with the LNB tilt?..... Or do I make sure it is Zero when the motor is at zero?

it looks like SG2100 which is exactly as mine I just put one up! you can set elevation or latitude on the motor scale it does not matter you will notice that if you set Latitude "which is what you should use like others said" on latitude scale elevation will be set for you on the other side of the scale... I was wondering the same for my location I had to set Lat to 43 and elev to 47.. once you set Lat on Lat scale to 43 elev scale will automatically show 47 :D

for your location looks like motor should be set at 33 Latitude therefore 57 elevation (look on the elev scale it should point to 57:)) the dish elevation the hard part is 25.. and the whole assembly should point to 168.5 deg using compass ... pain in the butt to use compass as you can't put it on anything since it's all made of still so just from further away :).. good luck i am having some problems myself but i am starting to think it's the darn No-Name dish i have :(

Other then that i love the Motor !

it looks like SG2100 which is exactly as mine I just put one up! you can set elevation or latitude on the motor scale it does not matter you will notice that if you set Latitude "which is what you should use like others said" on latitude scale elevation will be set for you on the other side of the scale... I was wondering the same for my location I had to set Lat to 43 and elev to 47.. once you set Lat on Lat scale to 43 elev scale will automatically show 47 :D

for your location looks like motor should be set at 33 Latitude therefore 57 elevation (look on the elev scale it should point to 57:)) the dish elevation the hard part is 25.. and the whole assembly should point to 168.5 deg using compass ... pain in the butt to use compass as you can't put it on anything since it's all made of metal so have to be further away from it :).. good luck i am having some problems myself but i am starting to think it's the darn No-Name dish i have :(

Other then that i love the Motor !

I think I'm good now... Thanks Everyone!!.

All I had to do was set the motor to the correct latitude (33.7). Then set the dish elevation to peak the sat....... Geez, If I would of just read the other threads then I would of have had the whole thing installed in just under an hour.......Go figure.

LONG LIVE FTA!!!

good install

That's a pretty antenna farm you've got started there.
And nice photography, too.
I think I could lift a print off your motor bracket in the first frame. - :eek:

So, now you get to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
...or you could get your neighbors interested, and help 'em install theirs, too! - :up

lol!!.......Yea,......funny you should say that. The neighbor guy was watching me for a few minutes and asked what kind of channels I get..... I showed him the Galaxy 10r..... He liked it a lot and ask me how much to install his system so he could cancel cable TV.

Good going ! It's funny how arduous this job is, until you've done it . Then putting in a motorized dish is pretty easy. I'd much rather setup a motorized system than a fixed dish. I've searched a long time to pick up a linear bird. Give me a USALS motor anytime ! When you start talking about cancelling cable , its amazing how affordable a FTA system can be. I pay good old Dish Network just over $100 a month, for my wife's viewing pleasure. That sure would be a nice FTA budget !

Brent

lol!!.......Yea,......funny you should say that. The neighbor guy was watching me for a few minutes and asked what kind of channels I get..... I showed him the Galaxy 10r..... He liked it a lot and ask me how much to install his system so he could cancel cable TV.

My neighbor from across the street was inquiring about my 90cm antenna on the roof the other day. When I explained to him what it was for he was interested. But then he asked why I'm always on the roof working on it. It quickly got over his head when I started discussing the backlash problem I've been fighting for the last six months. Damn wind.:mad:

DirectDishNet - how did you mount your mast brackets into cinder blocks? Aren't those blocks hollow?

Yes, They are hollow but they are Industrial cinder blocks used as walls to seperate property lines.

I use 6 Tapcon masonary screws per mast (4 corners & 2 in the middle) in most of my installs here as 90% of residential homes here in Phoenix have block walls instead of wood fences like they have on the east coast.

I attached a pic of the screws

Attachments

• tapconblue.gif
    tapconblue.gif
    10.3 KB · Views: 145
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)