I'm not paying for the new HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Mtnmike said:
If you are paying $299 for it you don't own it you are leasing it like the example above of a leased automobile. If you wanted to own it at their cost you would pay more than $299. Point is why would you want to own something that may be 2nd or 3rd rate in a year or less?

First of all we are talking about HD boxes...not original hughes little black boxes which still work fine, like I have at my cottage. HD boxes will value from the next several years as they have OTA tuners in them. The original Sony Box I bought for like $900 still rocks out, but, I get it is not worth $900. it is also 3+ years old maybe more. I don't replce my boxes (6 HD, 3 sd) every year and to do so is ridiculous. They don't become 2nd or 3rd rate either, just more paid for :D

Newshawk said:
FACT?
Do you have any proof to back up your assertion?
Looking at your statement ("fact"... "...can't be substantially more..."), it appears you have just suppositions, not facts. You think that because you could get a product at a subsidized, discounted price that it is the manufacturer's suggested retail price. However, you fail to take into account that D* has always published the MSRP of the HR20 at $749, and that the MSRP of the HR10 was $1,000 (since reduced to$749 also, possibly due to it being near the end of its life cycle.)

No matter how you try to spin it, at $299 (or less), you are geting a subsidized price and will have to agree to the terms of the offer or do without.

What????

FlyingJ said:
No, no stories about those with the HD Tivo paying 300 to 400 to upgrade. Not here, not yet. Where did you read this?

I read posts of people over at DBStalk.

Ted

RIRWIN1983 said:
There was you first mistake, reading and believeing anything they say there
So we shouldn't believe the HR20 review that Earl did... even though Scott has linked to it? Hmmm...

I payed $499 to own my first HD D* receiver, and today, it is worth less than $100. Paying $299 for the HR20 seems like a bargain to me! And if anything goes wrong, it will be replaced for free! :)

mcbeevee said:
I payed $499 to own my first HD D* receiver, and today, it is worth less than $100. Paying $299 for the HR20 seems like a bargain to me! And if anything goes wrong, it will be replaced for free! :)

they still are around $300 on ebay ...where you finding them for $100.

Also you OWN the first one, the new one you will not.

3 large?

Excuse if you know anything 3 large is not $300 its $3000 which then I would be pissed. If you gonna speak the talk know the language!!!!!!

Madtown HD Junkie said:
they still are around $300 on ebay ...where you finding them for $100.
Also you OWN the first one, the new one you will not.
Apparently I'm looking at a different ebay, because when I search for a Hughes HIRD-E86, the price range is $1 to $60! Why would anyone pay $300 for a used HD receiver when you can get a brand new MPEG4 receiver from D* for free? I have 2 old SD receivers collecting dust in a closet, but I own them! Who cares about owning something that is going to be obsolete in a few years. :confused:

mcbeevee said:

I agree, I would rather lease than own. You still have to pay a mirrored fee (lease fee) so your not really paying extra, And your equipment is covered. Whats not to like ? Im sorry, But I dont understand the lease -Vs- own debate ???:confused:

I can see that very few here have ever leased a car as you do have to pay an upfront fee that is always a big hit in addition to the first month payment. That's why the disclaimers and fine print always say $xxx due at signing which is always much more than the monthly lease amount.

You don't own it, you lease it for 3-4 years - and its not worth what it was as soon as you drive it off the lot.

HDTVFanAtic said:
I can see that very few here have ever leased a car as you do have to pay an upfront fee that is always a big hit in addition to the first month payment. That's why the disclaimers and fine print always say $xxx due at signing which is always much more than the monthly lease amount.

You don't own it, you lease it for 3-4 years - and its not worth what it was as soon as you drive it off the lot.
I think everyone thats ever looked at a newspaper knows that. But this is not a car.

rkr0923 said:
why collect dust.........ever heard of Selling them!
It's not worth it (to me) to unload a 6 year old (very slow) receiver on someone just to make $5-10. A friend of mine sold a VHS tape on ebay for $1, and the buyer kept complaining about the grainy picture until he got his $1 refunded! Imagine what will happen when D* switches to MPEG4 only and the old receivers stop working! :rolleyes:

Last edited:
vurbano said:
I think everyone thats ever looked at a newspaper knows that. But this is not a car.

Well, according to the posts, they must not be doing too much reading. Nope, it's not a car. But the same debate rages on in the car world, lease or own and that is after all what this discussion is about. Silly discussion? Yes. Do most of the objections to the lease arrangement hold any water, no.

Last edited:
mcbeevee said:
Apparently I'm looking at a different ebay, because when I search for a Hughes HIRD-E86, the price range is $1 to $60! Why would anyone pay $300 for a used HD receiver when you can get a brand new MPEG4 receiver from D* for free? I have 2 old SD receivers collecting dust in a closet, but I own them! Who cares about owning something that is going to be obsolete in a few years. :confused:

I was referencing a HD dvr, as I thought the original poster was, though I was wrong about that.....and the 3 large for the record.

Just don't tell me wife :eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts