I'm not paying for the new HD DVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bbd24

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 7, 2006
399.00 or 299.00 , it doesn't matter. I am not paying full price for a new DVR just because D* didn't get there act together. I purchased a DVR already. Yeah, it won't get the locals in HD but that isnt my fault. Somebody over there will trade me the old one for the new one. I see no reason why any current D* customer should be paying for this new DVR when its released. Especially if there a current customer who purchased the old DVR.

In today's competetive world of rapidly developing technology, would you rather lease equipment or buy/own something outright that may be obsolete in a year or less? The $299 (in some cases free through retention) HDDVR is probably less than what D* pays per unit. The monthly $5.99 ($120 per yr) lease fee goes toward cost recovery and company profit. Profit is not a bad thing if you the customer want them to sink some of that back into development to bring you better things in the future and remain competetive in this business.

Odds are that if they charged the actual cost per unit to the customer then the monthly lease rate would be much higher. Leasing allows you to obtain new (and probably better) equipment when it is offered. Think back on the rapidly developing computer technology of the late 90's into the 2000's when you could buy the latest and greatest desktop computer and have it obsolete before the year was over. Same applies here.

Last edited:
my only beef is if I am paying say $299 for it I own it....not thowring them 3 large and then have them take it back if I change service.

Well, no you don't but that's another story. If you pay, say 5,000 for a car that sells for 10,000 do you then "own it"?

Last edited:
If you are paying $299 for it you don't own it you are leasing it like the example above of a leased automobile. If you wanted to own it at their cost you would pay more than $299. Point is why would you want to own something that may be 2nd or 3rd rate in a year or less?

Last edited:
It's called depreciation. Do you really think those things are gonna be worth a lick 2 years down the road. Oh I know, you want to own it, my wife tells me that all the time about the car. The term was up and I said "wow honey, you own the damn thing now". Of course her reply was, "how much do you think we can get for the piece of :eek: .

Yep they all whine and cry where's all the HD channels On D* now that D* is switching over to MPEG-4 and sending up a couple more birds to help out with the bandwidth problem they all whine and cry about paying a fair price for the upgrade.
Go figure.;)

D* should have better pricing guidelines though, they should have a price for each level and stick to it.
The guys that bought in early and invested big money on the HR-10 should get the best price on the upgrade. D* knows who these people are and when there unit was activated.

D* is creating alot of the problem them selfs by playing the CSR roulette game a different deal with every CSR

FlyingJ said:
Yup, capitalism at its, best/worst fill in the blank

And oh, they want to own it because it makes them feel better.

The blank is now filled :)

Owning has other advantages. When I left E* for D*, the sale of all of my E* equipment completely paid for the swap (to owned D* equipment). If all of my E* equipment was leased, I'd have been out the money. BTW...I got nearly 100% of the price I paid to own the E* equipment.

Today's world is populated with "gimme gimme gimme or I'll pick up my toys and go home" type people. The reality of the situation is the majority won't pick up their toys and leave. And if these crybaby whiners do they will not find the next playground that much different over time.

Last edited:
The reality is I paid $200 to "own" my HR10-250. I was told when I purchased it that I could trade it in for free on the HR20 when it comes out. Now I am hearing stories of people who have HD-TiVos having to pay $300-$400 to upgrade to the HR20. I haven't called yet since there is no hurry for my market. #29 I believe? Anyway, I am a little nervous that I will have to pay again if I want the HR20 when I was led to believe otherwise by D*. I would have rather just leased to begin with, but it was not an option then.

Ted

Cable services have it right here. Just charge 12.99 or so a month and you will always have the latest hd dvr, much less confusing. And if you must own one to do hacks and such, you can usually find a compatible one on ebay.

FlyingJ said:
Well, no you don't but that's another story. If you pay, say 5,000 for a car that sells for 10,000 do you then "own it"?

If the price is $5000 for the car and I pay it, I then own it. If the salesman tells me it costs $5000, but after paying for it I do not own it, then I need to make a decision if I want to invest the $5000 in something I will not own or find one for $5000 i will own at the end of the payment(s).
Direct tv wants customers to lease a product, the cost of the production, distribution, loss, and longevity should be figured into the lease price. It also should be replaced if it ever breaks, due to normal WAT, and be necc. for th customer to have to have additional "protection" to cover replacement....remember we don't own it. It should not ask consumers to pay for a new product and then still not own it, given the fact the cost of the product can't be substantially more than the asked price of $299.
I have used D* since 98' and will continue, but, I will not lay down for them as they ask customers(HD CUSTOMERS) who have already invested much more than the average D*(non HD customers) with boxes etc. to keep supporting them while they fall woefully behind Dish Network in HD offering and have no hope in catching them for more than ONE YEAR!!

I get what they are doing and I also think unless the original poster has been with them for sometime he will get no free hddvr, but, the plan they have for their roll out seems burdensome for the consumer and heavy on the jing......for again not owning something.

Sounds good, it's still $300 in those 2 years, and you don't own it. I prefer not putting anything up front too but I think it probably evens out, especially if something goes wrong with the darn thing in month 13. Want to own it then?

Madtown HD Junkie said:
...given the fact the cost of the product can't be substantially more than the asked price of $299. (Emphasis added)

FACT?
Do you have any proof to back up your assertion?
Looking at your statement ("fact"... "...can't be substantially more..."), it appears you have just suppositions, not facts. You think that because you could get a product at a subsidized, discounted price that it is the manufacturer's suggested retail price. However, you fail to take into account that D* has always published the MSRP of the HR20 at $749, and that the MSRP of the HR10 was $1,000 (since reduced to$749 also, possibly due to it being near the end of its life cycle.)

No matter how you try to spin it, at $299 (or less), you are geting a subsidized price and will have to agree to the terms of the offer or do without.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)