I'm with DirectTV without a Contract, What Happen if I Stop Paying?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

clickclocks

Original poster
Jun 16, 2013
canada
I'm in Toronto. I opened my account with one satellite company in the US. They used a Diferent Address but my Credit Card. I have been with them for more than 3 Years. They Charge me $80 Every year. plus I pay DirectTv $120 every Month for the Package.

I'm pretty sure I'm with DirectTV without a Contract, What Happen if I Stop Paying? Because my Credit Card was Expired? I pretty sure the Last Time this Happen they Service stop working after 2 month.

Also Can I sell the HD DVR Receiver?

turn you off when its late, and ding your credit.....watch your FICO score drop

Reactions: navychop
The OP is Canadian, he's been operating through a broker in the US. Standard rules do not apply. But if he stops paying, DirecTV will continue to charge him the monthly fees, and send the bills to whatever address the broker used for him. If he was in the USA, that would hit his credit score. If he's been using a Canadian credit card, it would probably catch up with him eventually.
He needs to cancel his DirecTv account through the broker. The DVR? Depends whether he owns it.

And he can't call DirecTv and ask the question, because he's not even supposed to be a customer. And the 800# won't work from outside the US.

Reactions: jcrandall
Exactly I'm not able to call directtv directly . just want to close my account without waiting a month. if I cancel today is efective immediatly?

I'm worry if I gave them my new CC# I will be charge another month or extra fees.

Do you guys think the account is in my name? Or maybe only my credit card is been used. Last time I call directtv I was not able to take control of my account.

I concur with Texasbrit. Not to mention, if they made up a SSN (the broker), it quite possibly would end up as a collection on somebody's credit. It's about doing the right thing, make the call and not just let it go until they force turn it off and then try to collect the balance owed (likely a couple months).

You should be able to ask your broker to cancel. I believe DirecTV goes by billing cycle billed in advance. So if you are paid through the 30th for example, you can cancel and the service should still work until the 30th at which point it will turn off.

Most receivers are leased and cannot be resold. Your broker may advise it needs to be sent back to DirecTV (depending on age), or they may blow it off - which eventually hits someone's credit.
If it is owned (generally used equipment from employee or commercial accounts) then you can sell it, but nearly all receivers are leased.

As a last resort, tell D* that you are in Canada. That should prompt them to cancel. Would there be penalties? I don't know.

The OP can't call DirecTV because he is in Canada. Even if he could, the account he is using is probably not in his name. He needs to do this through the broker!!!!

Usually they are from DirecTV. They don't care which credit card they charge so long as it gets paid.

Eight years ago, I was in the reverse situation, living in the US and using a Canadian broker to get Bell Expressvu. My broker went out of business, so I could not get a new Smart Card for my receiver, and I continued to be charged for programming I was not receiving after the old Smart Card expired. I had to tell my credit card issuer that the card had been stolen, to get the charges to stop. The Bell account was not in my name, so I could not even use that receiver to open a new account in my name, nor could I sell the receiver. I would have had to buy a new receiver from a different broker to get service restored on a new account. I refused to do that, since the Smart Card in the last receiver died only a couple of months after I had purchased it, and I did not want to risk going through that again. To make matters worse, I had also just recently paid the last broker's annual fee, and there was no way to get a refund. I simply decided to do without Canadian satellite service from that point forward.

Eight years ago, I was in the reverse situation, living in the US and using a Canadian broker to get Bell Expressvu. My broker went out of business, so I could not get a new Smart Card for my receiver, and I continued to be charged for programming I was not receiving after the old Smart Card expired. I had to tell my credit card issuer that the card had been stolen, to get the charges to stop. The Bell account was not in my name, so I could not even use that receiver to open a new account in my name, nor could I sell the receiver. I would have had to buy a new receiver from a different broker to get service restored on a new account. I refused to do that, since the Smart Card in the last receiver died only a couple of months after I had purchased it, and I did not want to risk going through that again. To make matters worse, I had also just recently paid the last broker's annual fee, and there was no way to get a refund. I simply decided to do without Canadian satellite service from that point forward.
Why the heck would you ever want canadian TV !

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using the SatelliteGuys app!

I'm in Toronto. I opened my account with one satellite company in the US. They used a Diferent Address but my Credit Card. I have been with them for more than 3 Years. They Charge me $80 Every year. plus I pay DirectTv $120 every Month for the Package.

I'm pretty sure I'm with DirectTV without a Contract, What Happen if I Stop Paying? Because my Credit Card was Expired? I pretty sure the Last Time this Happen they Service stop working after 2 month.

Also Can I sell the HD DVR Receiver?
Your programming will be shut down.
Quite frankly, you should not be getting Directv, but I don't care.
Why not have your credit card info updated before the current one expires?

Yup that is a bonus. On my shaw direct receivers I get multiple local feeds. On sunday 1pm kickoffs on most weeks I can watch 5 to 6 different games between The national feed of cbs and fox then the local ctv feeds and tsn feed.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using the SatelliteGuys app!

Reactions: pattykay
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts