iMac 21.5 Desk Top

Just to keep your options open you can get a Mac Mini, a 21"+ monitor, and you can still get the wireless Apple keyboard and mouse for it. You would probably come out $200 ahead or so by doing this, depending on how expensive of a monitor you get, compared to an iMac.

You have to pick whatever is best for your situation and budget but I just wanted to throw that option out there. The Mini is VERY easy to upgrade.

Not only that but a lot less expensive to replace with a new one a couple years from now compared to having to buy the monitor over again. I view the iMac as a laptop, you are pretty much stuck with the initial purchase.

I wouldn't go that far, but it sure isn't any at the sub-$300 price point.

Mike123, normally you can replace an iMac with another, sell the older one and be somewhere in the vicinity of a tricked out mini. IOW, not that base model.

I've been looking at going to a MacBook Pro, selling my 27" iMac and getting a nice big screen to go with the MacBook. Net cost for the MacBook would end up being around $700. The monitor would add to that but as I'm using the computer less and less for anything real productive, it doesn't have to be a great monitor and 24" would probably do me just fine. Possibly even the PS3 3D display I already own.

The desk top I am getting is a refurbished one for in the house for my wife. I am thinking about getting a MacBook Pro 17in if they still make them otherwise I will get a 15.4 in. I like the numeric pad on the keyboard so I will have ether use the numeric key pad I had for a 13 in lap top or get a bigger keyboard maybe just use the keyboard off one of my other xp machines, that is not working any more , but I will transfer the data off of them and then recycle them. Sldge hammers work good for the Hard drives :eek: :rolleyes:

Just to keep your options open you can get a Mac Mini, a 21"+ monitor, and you can still get the wireless Apple keyboard and mouse for it. You would probably come out $200 ahead or so by doing this, depending on how expensive of a monitor you get, compared to an iMac.

You have to pick whatever is best for your situation and budget but I just wanted to throw that option out there. The Mini is VERY easy to upgrade.

I asked "She Who Must be Obeyed" if she wanted a tablet or a mini and she did not. :hail:

Now to transfer the data from the working XP computer.....use a Targus Transfer cable or an Ethernet Cable. Or use a flash drive. Apple Support has a program to down load onto the old computer to use to transfer the data I want off the computer.....but I am not that computer savvy :doh:, now talk about a Freightliner Truck, Peterbilt Truck or a Kenworth Truck or a Caterpillar Tractor or a Caterpillar Engine I know enough to get into trouble.:eek: :coffee

The cost difference isn't that spectacular given that you have to buy extra RAM, a keyboard, mouse and display to effectively use the Mac Mini. Starting at $699 for a model capable of running Parallels and adding Parallels ($79) and Windows (~$150) then the optical drive, keyboard, mouse and display and you're entering into stupid expensive territory to have any hope of running software that the machine wasn't designed for.

KVM are not required --- Mac runs just fine with PC keyboards and mice. The monitor can be reused assuming it has a compatible input (HDMI/DVI). If not, full HD 21.5" monitors are available for around $100.

The memory upgrade for a mini was about $80 to 16GB last year. Probably less, and way less for 8GB.

Yeah, the optical drive is a PITA, I have mostly used it for ripping.

Adding parallels and windows is adding functionality so it should be an add-on cost. Parallels (or VMWare Fusion) run windows very well as virtual machines, and they boot up in seconds from an SSD - much faster than a PC that has to check BIOS. I have had no issues running anything in a virtual.

It is a great solution, although I'd consider springing for the $799 mid-grade model for the upgraded graphics and (I think) quad-core.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

For info, there is no downside to buying an Apple refurb from the Apple store. Same one year warranty, qualifies for Applecare extended warranty if you want it and after buying a few items from there as refurbs, I've yet to get anything that didn't look exactly like a brand new one.

The only difference is the box it comes in. Refurbs come in a pretty plain box without some of the 'pretty' Apple does with the new boxes.

It was delivered by UPS about 4 hours ago. In a plain white box. :eek: :up :coffee

Now the fun begins:ranger:
:computerwindow: I just hope that I don't do this. :censored: :doh:

It was delivered by UPS about 4 hours ago. In a plain white box. :eek: :up :coffee

Now the fun begins:ranger:
:computerwindow: I just hope that I don't do this. :censored: :doh:

I may have missed it but what did you end up getting?

The Mac has a pretty painless data transfer feature if your old machine is still running that is.

If you're going to stick with a Windows machine I do recommend the Dell; and you can get a refurbished Dell desktop for under $400.
While your logic was sound for the publicly traded Dell, I'm not sure what to expect from a privately held Dell.

I got the Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, So I eat dinner and I sit down and open the box....WOW no TOWER . :eek: So I will carry this thing upstairs and set it up. The old Windows XP is working but it's on it's last legs. :coffee

I just need to read the OM before I do any thing. I have a bunch of stuff hooked up to the old machine by USB ports. I think there is only 4 on the back of this but I also have a USB Hub that is hooked to the old machine that will take 6 USB's my printers are both USB, So I will take "She Who Must be Obeyed" to work in the morning and get started with it after I get home. :coffee (maybe I will add a lot of Old Bushmills to the coffee in the morning)

It is always funny when we get into these Mac vs Windows things. The Windows guys always want to point at some low end model from the majors that just isn't the same box as anything put out by Apple, or they want to talk about the box they built. And yes, you can buy a cheaper Windows box than a Mac, but you can't buy a cheaper Windows box that is built to anywhere near the same standards for very much cheaper.
I am no fan of either platform as they are both hobbled. The Mac is hobbled by zealots telling Apple that they could do no wrong (and backing it up with expensive and fairly regular purchases of new hardware) and Windows by Enterprise operations demanding backwards compatability and 7+ year support windows (with a programming model that is hard to backport and nearly impossible to transition forward at the same time given Microsoft's continuously changing development environment focus).

The point is that you should always buy the hardware that will run your software as opposed to buying the hardware and complaining that the software either isn't what you wanted or doesn't work very well with the given hardware.

In the end it comes down to what you need and if you're willing to sacrifice choice, Mac software may be available or it may not. Running Windows software absent a native solution is a virtual surrender because the native software is probably never going to come.

Heck, WINE may be a better solution.

I got the Refurbished iMac 21.5-inch 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5, So I eat dinner and I sit down and open the box....WOW no TOWER . :eek: So I will carry this thing upstairs and set it up. The old Windows XP is working but it's on it's last legs. :coffee

I just need to read the OM before I do any thing. I have a bunch of stuff hooked up to the old machine by USB ports. I think there is only 4 on the back of this but I also have a USB Hub that is hooked to the old machine that will take 6 USB's my printers are both USB, So I will take "She Who Must be Obeyed" to work in the morning and get started with it after I get home. :coffee (maybe I will add a lot of Old Bushmills to the coffee in the morning)

Nice!! If the "She Who Must be Obeyed" ever needs a second monitor I believe you can connect it to the back of the iMac for dual screen functionality. Enjoy!!

Well I started doing the file migration, at about 1545hrs. yesterday afternoon, by 2200hrs. was ready to at least read my e-mail but not able to send or reply to other e-mails. The contact book sucks,:computerwindow: but it will take a little learning curve a (big learning curve)!:mad::rant::eek: :confused: :blah::whoo: :eureka: :eek:k: :coffee

Setting up your email program for sending can be tricky, no matter what email program you're using, Mac or PC. If your PC email program is still running, Outlook Express I'm guessing, go in and look at your email's outgoing server settings, you may need to enter a different Port number from the default, especially if you're using another email provider than who you get your internet service from. With Apple's mail program you can use one outgoing SMTP email server for multiple email accounts if you want to.

I took the leap and got an iMac a few years ago but still have my trusty XP machine running right next to it for work stuff, it's been fun but I still think the Windows desktop (Explorer) is better, or way more more flexible may be a better way to put it, than Apple's "Finder (their desktop)

ps a big +1 to the Bushmills!

Last edited:
PS this post is being sent off the new iMac the one@ 10am was sent off my lap top.:happyd2::coffee

I haven't got that mad yet to drink a pint of Old Bushmills and 2oz of coffee yet ask me in the morning :rant: :coffee

I take this back.
The e-mail or Apple Mail set up sucks. And that Pencil Necked Geek that I talked to on Apple Care pissed me off to no end.:rant::mad:
I have already drank 2 pints without coffee since dinner. Maybe I should have posted this in what's cooking forum

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts