Improved DiscoveryHD picture quality

Scubasoul

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Apr 18, 2004
Hi all,

Just got back after a week on the road. Watching DiscoveryHD this afternoon it seems that the picture is sharper, less "soft".
Could not find anything here, or on Yahoo, was anything done (we know of)to improve PQ?

I'll let you know, I've been without my projector for 3 weeks & just got it back today so I can do an instant comparison between Voom & Dish.

I flipped over to Discovery when I got home today and noticed the same thing. It really surprised me to see how crisp it looked.

Did DiscoveryHD get any new programs to watch? Everytime I go it its the same programs.

I am happy to also report that the PQ on Discovery HD looks fantastic here as well! I'm having a really hard time telling the difference between VOOM's feed and D*'s. Color seems to be just as vibrant, and the picture is pretty darn sharp! Nice job VOOM! Discovery is definitely back to what it used to be!

GeneWildershair said:
I am happy to also report that the PQ on Discovery HD looks fantastic here as well! I'm having a really hard time telling the difference between VOOM's feed and D*'s. Color seems to be just as vibrant, and the picture is pretty darn sharp! Nice job VOOM! Discovery is definitely back to what it used to be!
Are you serious or are you just sayin it because I was giving you a hard time yesterday? Sorry about that BTW. IMO some shows look good and some bad but I think its the cameras. DEFCON was nothing to write home about last night.

GeneWildershair said:
WEll, I haven't look at DHDT today bu I'm convice that it should be better since Jay is reporting so. ;)

vurbano said:
Are you serious or are you just sayin it because I was giving you a hard time yesterday? Sorry about that BTW. IMO some shows look good and some bad but I think its the cameras. DEFCON was nothing to write home about last night.

Vurbano, It has nothing to do with your attacks. HBOHD still looks soft compared to D*'s feed, but DHD is defintely just about the same when comparing VOOM, and D*'s feeds. I can't tell the difference today. And yes you are right some HD is better than others, but when comparing same source material it doesn't make a difference, and I'm telling you VOOM made a huge step in PQ with Discovery. Again NIce job VOOM! Now maybe they can get the premiums back to what they were once like.

GeneWildershair said:
Vurbano, It has nothing to do with your attacks. HBOHD still looks soft compared to D*'s feed, but DHD is defintely just about the same when comparing VOOM, and D*'s feeds. I can't tell the difference today. And yes you are right some HD is better than others, but when comparing same source material it doesn't make a difference, and I'm telling you VOOM made a huge step in PQ with Discovery. Again NIce job VOOM! Now maybe they can get the premiums back to what they were once like.
ya know this extreme machines bridge show looks like SH$$. IMHO I know everyone is tired of their reruns but this material belongs back on the sd discovery channel. Same thing with that defcon show. I expect better from discoveryhd theater

Extreme Machines

I watched that program last night. I wasn't blown off my feet (or butt for that matter) with the pq but I believe it was the source material. The DHD trailers looked great (better than they have lately), which leads me to believe it's the source material.

The Rickster

I guess I need to get my pj hooked up so I can compare it to Dish. DiscHD always looks fabulous from Dish, regardless of the content.

GadgetRick said:
I watched that program last night. I wasn't blown off my feet (or butt for that matter) with the pq but I believe it was the source material. The DHD trailers looked great (better than they have lately), which leads me to believe it's the source material.

The Rickster
My point exactly, if the source material stinks then it doesnt belong on discoveryhd theater. It belongs on sd discovery channel

Well I'm comparing the Voom/Dish (DHDT) picture at 7:15 pm edt. I must say Voom is smoking!

Regards...

yes the "before we ruled earth " looks great!. Its just that some of the material they chose to show perplexes me at times.

Did anyone see the show on DHDT with the Blue Angels Wednesday around 9pm. I don't know the title because the guide was incorreect, but that was probably the best example of HD I have seen to date. Truely smokin'!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)