Improving KU reception on a mesh dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

adrian

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 23, 2006
I have a 2.6M Paraclipse mesh dish and my understanding is that there is a 30% drop in KU signal quality, when compared to a solid dish.Is there anything i can do,other than switching to a solid dish?

That's a good question, you can try peaking the dish and see if it helps. Or maybe upgrade to a better LNB. I don't have a Paraclipse mesh, but I have a Unimesh. I can tell you for sure, I get a better QS signal from my 80cm Fortec dish than the 10' Unimesh, but the 80cm dish will drop out with "Rain" (sometimes, on certain sats) and the Unimesh never lose's signal.

Al

I'm assuming the mesh on your dish is designed to pick up Ku band. If it is, your dish is plenty large to pick up about any signal. Remember, the transponders today are more powerful than 10-20 years ago. If you're having problems picking up signals, I'd suggest checking your dish for warping or damage. Make sure it's adjusted properly to the satellite your receiving. Also check that your LNB is properly positioned to receive maximum signal. Good luck.

That's a good question, you can try peaking the dish and see if it helps. Or maybe upgrade to a better LNB. I don't have a Paraclipse mesh, but I have a Unimesh. I can tell you for sure, I get a better QS signal from my 80cm Fortec dish than the 10' Unimesh, but the 80cm dish will drop out with "Rain" (sometimes, on certain sats) and the Unimesh never lose's signal.

Al

Interesting, I also am using a 10 foot Unimesh, I know the 922 shows 99 quality for everything on X4, and my DVB receivers are pegged on most everything. I've used one of those tinfoil 90CM Fortecs in the past and saw much lower. Differences could be LNBs I suppose, the 90cm had the cheapie Invacom LNBF, whereas the Unimesh has a nice Norsat. Then again, those cheap dishes like Fortec makes are probably very inconsistent from one to another being made out of tinfoil like they are.

We should compare Ku signal levels on various things if we have like to like receivers and see what kind of differences we have.

First let me say, I'm not much for recording information. I probably should be, as bad as my memory is? However, I found myself doing this this morning around 5:30a.m. This was done with a Pansat 3500s, from the Antenna Set-Up Page:
Invacom QPH-031 0.3db #2 diseqc port ; Cal-Amp (California Amplifier) 0.7db #3 port
80cm Fortec-------------------------------------------10' Unimesh
Quality %---------------Frequency---Polarity------------Quality %
55-----------------------11719----------V---------------------48
71-----------------------11732----------H---------------------75
75-----------------------11799----------V---------------------74
94-----------------------11805----------H---------------------99
72-----------------------11892----------V---------------------31
86-----------------------12076----------V---------------------55
94-----------------------12104----------V---------------------88
94-----------------------12114----------V---------------------94
This info was gotten from G10 ku. The Invacom is about 2 years old, and the Cal-Amp is about or more than 20 years old. This kind of stuff is way too time consuming for my taste, but every now and again, I'll get a burrrrr in my saddle. Just don't expect miracles from me.

Al

Last edited:
Then again, those cheap dishes like Fortec makes are probably very inconsistent from one to another being made out of tinfoil like they are.

Have you used one before? I disagree with you. They dishes are very consistant and come from a high quality factory in Taiwan. It has the same steel gauge as any other quality mfg.

Have you used one before? I disagree with you. They dishes are very consistant and come from a high quality factory in Taiwan. It has the same steel gauge as any other quality mfg.

Yes I have, it was purchased from you even. I guess we will just disagree, I find just about everything about them to be inferior quality/undersized hardware when compared to other steel dishes like Patriot. Yes, I realize that dishes like Patriot or Channelmaster come with a higher price tag, and I'm willing to pay it.

Got a pole sitting up in a bucket full of concrete now, and I'll compare it the the BUD on G10R once I can. Probably do a Channelmaster 75E I have here also, using the same Invacom on both small dishes.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts