In Honor of tonights Wings/Avs game

The NHL network should have showed that today instead of the 1982 Oilers-Kings Cup Final game 1.

Pretty lame on the part of the NHLN.

Hey DD! We made it to the 2nd round.
Go Sharks!
I like the Red Wings, but SJS is pretty much my home team, since I get all of their games on TV without NHL CI.

If they showed that on NHL CI, I would have recorded that on my HD-DVR!

Neutron I said it last year... I'll say it again. You are the only Stars fan in existence. :)

Ntohing like the good old days of what was/is the fiercest rivalry in north american pro sports.

YouTube - Detroit Red Wings vs Colorado Av's (FULL '97 brawl)

Well yes it used to be fierce...but not so much anymore. Now that most of the players are different (and Claude Lemieux and Kirk Maltby are long gone), it doesn't feel like much of a rivalry anymore.

The true test of a rivalry is when the names change but you continue to despise the uniform. Think:

Yankees/Red Sox
Dodgers/Giants
Cubs/Cardinals
Giants/Cowboys
Bears/Packers
Rangers/Icelanders
Oilers/Flames

These rivalries stand the test of time. I'm probably forgetting some too.

Sandra

I used to love the Wings/Leafs games, but since the re-alignment, that was one that lost meaning.

Bears/Packers is not much anymore since the teams can't seem to be competitive at the same time anymore

Yanks/Red sox is persistent. Dodgers/Giants and all other baseball rivalries just don't do anything for me. To me a great rivalry involves physical play (football/hockey). Only the Yanks/Red Sox rivalry and the 80's Lakers/Celtics were worthwhile to me. That's just my opinion though.

What is unique is the Avs/Wings to me is the fact that most rivalries are related to teams proximity or divisions (which Sandra's examples exemplify). Wings Avs was born out of competition and physical play. Both teams fans have just an insane amount of dislike for the other team. Much like the Mich/OSU rivalry, the whole season can sometimes be judged by the fans on how you play 1 team.

I used to love the Wings/Leafs games, but since the re-alignment, that was one that lost meaning.

Bears/Packers is not much anymore since the teams can't seem to be competitive at the same time anymore

Yanks/Red sox is persistent. Dodgers/Giants and all other baseball rivalries just don't do anything for me. To me a great rivalry involves physical play (football/hockey). Only the Yanks/Red Sox rivalry and the 80's Lakers/Celtics were worthwhile to me. That's just my opinion though.

What is unique is the Avs/Wings to me is the fact that most rivalries are related to teams proximity or divisions (which Sandra's examples exemplify). Wings Avs was born out of competition and physical play. Both teams fans have just an insane amount of dislike for the other team. Much like the Mich/OSU rivalry, the whole season can sometimes be judged by the fans on how you play 1 team.

Well put,

I was at several of the Av's Wings matchups, unfortunatly , not the Brawl night.

Wings / Av's Playoffs were the most memerable for me out of all my sporting event I've had the pleasure to attend :)

Jimbo

Well yes it used to be fierce...but not so much anymore. Now that most of the players are different (and Claude Lemieux and Kirk Maltby are long gone), it doesn't feel like much of a rivalry anymore.

The true test of a rivalry is when the names change but you continue to despise the uniform. Think:

Yankees/Red Sox
Dodgers/Giants
Cubs/Cardinals
Giants/Cowboys
Bears/Packers
Rangers/Icelanders
Oilers/Flames

Sandra

Maltby is still in Detroit, he is currently injured, though.

Yankees/Red Sox
Dodgers/Giants
Cubs/Cardinals
Giants/Cowboys
Bears/Packers
Rangers/Icelanders
Oilers/Flames

Sandra

Don't forget Ohio State vs. Michigan. IMO, the best rivalry in sports ever.

yep, I agree, that is one heck of a rivalry. College sports are great for that, much better than pro sports IMO.

Yankees/Red Sox
Dodgers/Giants
Cubs/Cardinals
Giants/Cowboys
Bears/Packers
Rangers/Icelanders
Oilers/Flames

Sandra

Don't forget Ohio State vs. Michigan. IMO, the best rivalry in sports ever.

:up:up:up

Looks like the list above is PRO only .....

That said, the list is NOT complete without the Ohio State vs Michigan rivalry, as well as a few other college rivalries.

Jimbo

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts