in Minnesota ... which way to go?

cebbigh

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
May 24, 2005
Frostbite Falls
Moved from Seattle last year and my kids are homesick. I see that Seattle locals are available both through Shaw and Bell. Currently have directv. Am no longer under contract.

Started looking into Canadian Sat just a few days ago. Are there factors to consider like PQ (both SD and HD) between the two. It looks like Bell has the advantage on the DVR .... never been a fan of Motorolla. But I get the impression that Shaw is somewhat cheaper and might be easier to deal with.

Are there factors to consider? Which one of the two is more likely to expand HD in the near future? What is the main reason people in the US sub to the Canadian stations?

I suspect I would wind up keeping a US provider and using a minimal Canadian package for the Seattle locals at least until I become more acquainted with the offerings.

I'm sure you'll be getting a response from Iceberg who lives in your neck of the woods, but in the meantime.....

Neither of the 2 Canadian providers are authorized to distribute their signal or sell their hardware to a service address that is outside of Canada. That being said, many in the USA who have Canadian Satellite TV go through a broker in Canada. (See sticky thread "What Is A Broker?........WHOOPS, SORRY, it appears that thread has been removed.......). In the final accounting, Shaw is much less strict in enforcing the rules by cancelling the account, as long as the subscriber doesn't give them a reason do so. Such a reason could come from blatantly revealing the location of the receiver to a CSR via the phone, or using Pay Per View via the phone being connected to the receiver. Though I can't speak from personal experience, I have read where Bell is a little more forceful in making sure the rules are followed regarding the location of the receiver.

Speaking from having read a ton of posts on this forum and the Digital Home Forum, Bell seems to have the edge when it comes to HDef hardware, especially in the realm of PVR. The Shaw DSR-530 that has been out for several years was a total disaster in that (1) it didn't do what the customers expected it to do, and (2) promised firmware upgrades were never delivered. Now the unit has been replaced with the DSR-630, which has been out about a month, and, according to posts, appears to have some bugs in it.

You might want to visit the website Kusat.com and make contact with them regarding your needs.....

Thanks for the info. Iceberg already gave me some good info too and I'm looking forward to finding out as much as I can.

I just moved to Bloomington MN from MT and I also have DirecTV. I have a home in Canada which I have BellTV. I brought an extra Dish & 9242 HD DVR with me to MN and it works great. Although I Don't have to use a broker so I can't comment on that process, and yes bell uses Boston & Seattle networks except for the CW where you get all the superstaions in HD with Bell. Its like having the best of both worlds as im sure Ice Burg can tell you. You really can't go wrong.

Bell has the worst HD PQ of any satellite distributor in North America

You have a choice 720 X 1240 or 1080 X 1920 resolution

Bell has the worst HD PQ of any satellite distributor in North America

This seems to be a general consensus of those who have carefully compared the choices. I would add that Shaw generally has the best HD PQ of any satellite distributor in North America. With Bell and Shaw you get to pick your poison - better PVR or better PQ.

The issue with Bell is they simsub the hell out of the networks with Canadian channels. SO you may not get ABC HD during prime time rather CTV HD which can be inferior

Simsubs on Bell is all or none...Shaw they can do it the right way which is if a local affiliate is in your area (city) then they simsub. My location is simsub free :)

I suspect I would wind up keeping a US provider and using a minimal Canadian package for the Seattle locals at least until I become more acquainted with the offerings.
if you go that way Shaw has a $25 package with both feeds of the nets in HD and one in SD (choose Spokane....East is Detroit and that is already in HD) + CBC HD for HNIC...drawback is you cant add anything to it

Can you use the same roof mount for a shaw dish that is used for the slimline?

I can't answer that question directly; but I can tell you that the Shaw dish uses a mast pipe that is 2" outside diameter. The dish fits very snugly on the mast, and there is very little "take-up" in the clamping mechanism. So when I had hoped to mount my Shaw dish on an existing mast having an outside diameter of 1-3/4", it was a no-go. I couldn't wrench the clamp tight enough to keep it stable in a high wind. I suppose I could have cobbled a shim between the clamp and the mast, but I decided I would just replace the enntire mount.

Isnt the slimline a 2 3/8" mount?

correction...it is a 2" mount
Heavy duty J-Mount with 2" outer diameter mast opening

Is there a way to view sports programing carried by FSNW on either Shaw or Bell. I would be looking for Huskies (college football) and Mariners. I'm assuming the Seahawks would be carried on KCPQ and available that way.

some of the Mariners games are on RSN Pacific and that is an agreement with FSN NW & RSN (Rogers Sportsnet)..25-30 or so outside of the games against the Jays that are shown

Seahawks are on Q13 (forget the call sign but the logo says Q13) and on CBS when those games are up. Basically every Seahawks game is on both Spokane & Seattle nets

college is only the national games on ABC & Big10 (Shaw carries Big 10 Network)...Some of the other stations like the Score carry the big big games that ESPN carries

also, sportsnet one has been airing college games that air on FSN in the US. this Saturday, they are showing the 10:00 pm ET Pac-10 game Oregon - AZ St and they are slated to show another game next sat (Oct 2) in that time slot

also, last season, sportsnet west showed some pac 10 college hoops

Going to mull this over for a while. I think I am leaning towards Shaw and the $25 package. I do appreciate the input and clarification on what's available. Thanks again!

here is the stuff you get on Digital Lite..HD is bolded

A Atlantic
A Ottawa
ABC HD **
APTN
CBC (8 or 9 feeds)
CBC HD
CBC News
CBS HD**
CHEX (CBC affiliate...carries other network stuff)
City Toronto
CKPG
CMT
CPAC
CTV (5 or so feeds)
CTV HD
FOX HD**
Game
Global (5 or so feeds)
Global HD
Grace
Much Music
NBC HD**
PBS HD
RDI
Sportsnet One
Shaw 299
Weather
Shopping
SRC (French Network)
TSN
TVA (French Network)

set of nets in SD

40 music only channels

The ** on the nets are both coasts...East is Detroit but Fox is from Rochester, NY. West is Seattle. Only channel you can add is TSN HD for 4.99...NOTHING else

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts