inclinometer placement question

Status
Please reply by conversation.

outbackjack

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 8, 2006
maine
hello all. i just bought a johnson inclinometer and have searched the sight for a pic of where to put this on my ws9306 dish to check it. i cant find any pics of ku dishes of where it should be placed. i know i have seen them here before but no luck finding. i put it on the main arm to the ku lnb and i am getting 22-23 deg and my lat is saying 38 or so deg on the dish bracket so i must be off somewhere. thanks for any help

I guess where you put it depends on what angle you're trying to measure. If you're trying to measure apparent dish elevation above flat horizontal, it's a pretty easy matter to just lay a flat (very flat) board across the face of the dish with the bottom of the board resting on the LNB arm. Take 90 degrees from that, and there's your apparent dish angle - where it looks like it's looking.

But remember, your dish is actually looking up 24.62 degrees above where it appears to be looking.

See Post #18 in this topic: http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/211940-elevation-declination-ws9036-2.html

But remember, your dish is actually looking up 24.62 degrees above where it appears to be looking.

Thanks for this info drboyddrboyd. I knew that there was a difference between the offset and the prime focus dishes, but had never seen the actual number of degrees.

Now I am considering to give my 1.2 meter dish another try fro C band. I had already given up on it, but now I might be able to find a signal by adjusting it to the exact degrees. The only thing I will have to figure out is if the angle of the LNB arm(s) and the focal point are correct, because the dish originally had a Ku band LNB and I had to replace the LNB bracket to hold the C band LNB.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/188924-got-1-2m-dish-possible-minibud.html

Thanks again for the info.

Last edited:
easiest is find a bird that has Ku on it also then swap over to cband

I tried that, but got no signal. Now that I know a little more about how to measure the angle, I will try it again.
The problem is that I am not sure if the KU LNB works, and it's a single polarity only, but I will try again.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)