Incompetent Dish Network

So you want a non-standard install for the standard price of free?

Hire a local contractor, pay a fair rate, buy the equipment you want.

Standard installations don't fit every person's desires.
Dish may waive the cost of the second dish to the customer but still pay the contractor. We do this all the time.
For example, I roll on a 4 orbital slot job, D-1000 Plus. I can't get a shot at 129. 61.5 is a viable option. I call Dish, get the work order modified to reflect the second dish and lnb. The customer is not charged for said equipment. However, Dish pays my employer for the additional EQ and labor.
On retail jobs(we are also a retailer) we will charge the customer for the second dish and labor. The customer is inforemd that this is a possibiulty and is aware BEFORE they sign the agreement. There are no stones left unturned.

You're still used to the old point scale. If you look REALLY close at your point-dish screen, you'll notice, "signal meter has been modified" almost in the direct middle of the screen (kinda hard to see yellow writing in the middle of a blue field, huh). With that said, I feel your installer probably could've gotten your 110/119 at least in the low 60's
here in my location, with the modified scale, 119 on TP 11 gives a signal in the mid 70's. 110 TP 11 in the upper 60's and the 129 in the 50's on TP 12.
I do understand that signal strengths in other areas of the country may vary.
The TP's mentioned above are CONUS TP's

Wait a minute!!..... Whats up the that crack about sub contractors?, The contractor can NOT do whats NOT on the work order or the sub will get charged for that item. The sub can call dish and see if he could add that 44switch or wing dish to the work order but if the CSR will not allow it, The sub can not do it!.

In Most cases the sub contractor is way more competent than a "In House" technician. A sub is paid per job and a "In House" tech is paid by the hour. A sub will do what he can to get the job done, A "in House" tech don't care if it gets done or not they still get paid. (My opinion only)

IMO you got lucky that you got a sub contractor because the job got done, If a "in house" tech showed up I bet the job would not even got done at all as the tech would of used that as an excuse to cancel the job as an assurance to get back to the shop on time.

I beleive an apology is order to all of our hard working subs out there that get pooped on all day long by dish and our customers.

"I beleive an apology is order to all of our hard working subs out there that get pooped on all day long by dish and our customers."

I concur.

So according to DirectDishNet, it is my fault that I can't get any signal from 129, it is my fault that the PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER thinks that a signal of 20s for the 129 is acceptable.
It is my fault that I signed the service agreement when the PROFESSIONAL INSTALLER told me not to worry about the low number for the 129 and everything is fine?

It is not the same as buying fast food, if you buy a TV, bring it home, and found out that Video 1 is not working all together, is it consumer's fault?
ok (linseman steps in to stop fight)
Look we shopuldn't be tossing blame around. The installer should have tried to repeak the dish for better signal. However he did what he was ordered to do. That is install the dish and equipment on the work order. It is opur job to do this. We may not deviate form the work order unless it is NECESSARY to modify it. A customer request based solely on their suggestion is not grounds for a modification. Be advised, when a modification is done, most times Dish is WAIVING charges ordinarily to be paid by the customers.

YES you are entitled to anything that the installed DEEMS that you NEED to get this system working. As far as signal in the 50s with the new signal meter on most systems it will show its lower than it really is. i use to get between 100 and 110.
Now im getting upper 40;s to high 50;s nothing wrong with that.

As far as you not being satisfied with the install? Complain you have Every right as a paying customer to complain about anything you feel is wrong. If they were right in doing what they wanted to do let someone else prove it wrong.

I was told by 2 installers that i could not get HD service because they could not get a dish 1000.2 to work at my location. SO i asked for a second dish and they told me it could not work and was not allowed by dish. So i called a local retailer one that is NOT subcontracted by dish network. THis was a complete third party from dish. within 2 hours of showing up this installer had it ALL up and running. on a dish 1000.2.

And after going through the Executive office of dish complaining about all my problems they told me that if any installer needed to install a dish for the 110 another for the 119 and another for the 129 and even for the 61.5 they are to install one dish for each if that is what I want and if that is what is needed they are to do so. They are to do what ever it takes to get my up and running.

Do you feel like your being lied to??

Then email CEO@Echostar.com and let them hear your complaint first hand. If you dont hear back with in 24 hours then email same thing again. TRUST ME you will get a response.
Let's not use the word "entitled" That is a broad term which indicates that all concessions and deferments go to the customer. Not true. The dish service agreement allows for a free BASIC install. One dish( two in markets where a particular satellite slot is not "visible" from that location (i.e. the NE US cannot "see" the 129) up to 200 feet of installed cable, one pole mount one wall fish. That's it. All other labor is chargeable. For example a hardware phone line is chargebale work. So is any burial of cable in excess of 50 feet.
Now to narrow the focus a bit, the installer is required to find the best signal possible to ensure normal operation of the system. If the conditions of the property or neighboring environs are not conducive( trees in yours or neighbor's yard) to a clear line of sight ,options MUST be explored. If those options do not result in a suitable placement for optimum signal reception, the tech must declare a no line of sight and the job cancelled.

Last edited:
Then again I once had a pair of guy's show up from a contractor in eastern PA. One worked on the install while the other played soccer with my son. I had to redo my 61.5 dish since they used 1" drywall screws through the roofing and plywood. Specifically told Dish to never send them to my house again.

You like putting people in danger by asking them to go to the highest point of your roof????

Techs, always keep the dish low.

You can use 61.5, but if you're on the west coast it won't be the easiest to hit.

My rule..If I can get to a point on the roof to do a proper install ,I will ..Only if it is safe at MY sole discretion. When it comes to my well being customer input is not permitted. Period.

Then again I once had a pair of guy's show up from a contractor in eastern PA. One worked on the install while the other played soccer with my son. I had to redo my 61.5 dish since they used 1" drywall screws through the roofing and plywood. Specifically told Dish to never send them to my house again.
unreal..

OK, the 2nd installer was send by the same dish retailer this morning. I guess my neighborhood falls under this company's territory.
However, this new installer was way more professional and more knowledgeable about the area.
He told me that the work order he received still doesn't allow him to install a wing dish but what he will do is peak my dish to receive max signal possible from 129.
He said, if that still gives me problem, then most likely DISH will ok the installation for the wing dish.

Here are some of the readings from the few weaker transponders for 129 from this afternoon.
Weather condition is cloudy but not yet began to rain.
Transponder 01 - Signal 20
Transponder 02 - Signal 25
Transponder 05 - Signal 24
Transponder 06 - Signal 18
Transponder 08 - Signal 24
Transponder 16 - Signal 23
Transponder 18 - Signal 21

On average, most of the transponder shows the signal strength between 20 to 30 while a couple transponder shows signal at around 35

What do you guys think about the read out?

In Most cases the sub contractor is way more competent than a "In House" technician. A sub is paid per job and a "In House" tech is paid by the hour. A sub will do what he can to get the job done, A "in House" tech don't care if it gets done or not they still get paid. (My opinion only)

IMO you got lucky that you got a sub contractor because the job got done, If a "in house" tech showed up I bet the job would not even got done at all as the tech would of used that as an excuse to cancel the job as an assurance to get back to the shop on time.

I beleive an apology is order to all of our hard working subs out there that get pooped on all day long by dish and our customers.
I'm not gonna argue the quality of inhouse versus sub though if I did we'd end up in the pit in a pissing match over it. Its not a question of wether inhouse or subs are better its the quality of the fabric the person is spun from that defines wether they are competent or not. Maybe in Arizona the subs are better there but having worked in Michigan, Ohio, New York, Minnessota, Alabama and Florida I have seen alot of hack work done by subs more so than by inhouse.

To say that inhouse doesnt care if the job goes in or not is based on them being hourly is a crock of mothers best fertilizer even before the stack rankings went into effect. In this case he wasnt lucky he got a sub, inhouse would have called to get the work order changed and then pulled back and had someone bring out the additional parts he needed, and any good tech sub or inhouse wouldnt have left him with such a weak signal on his birds so no apology is in order.

I'm not gonna argue the quality of inhouse versus sub though if I did we'd end up in the pit in a pissing match over it. Its not a question of wether inhouse or subs are better its the quality of the fabric the person is spun from that defines wether they are competent or not. Maybe in Arizona the subs are better there but having worked in Michigan, Ohio, New York, Minnessota, Alabama and Florida I have seen alot of hack work done by subs more so than by inhouse.

To say that inhouse doesnt care if the job goes in or not is based on them being hourly is a crock of mothers best fertilizer even before the stack rankings went into effect. In this case he wasnt lucky he got a sub, inhouse would have called to get the work order changed and then pulled back and had someone bring out the additional parts he needed, and any good tech sub or inhouse wouldnt have left him with such a weak signal on his birds so no apology is in order.
No apology? I think you are worng...The OP made a general statement painting a certain worker status with a broad brush. That in and of itself is gounds for at least a "let me rephrase"...

I think it boils down to who is getting QC'ed. In areas where QC guys go heavily after inhouse, its the contractors that end up crummy because they don't get caught as quickly. OTOH, if the QC guy is only hitting subs, then inhouse will be awful. Sub or inhouse, there are guys that figure out that they can get away with a lot if no one is watching. Best policy is to be checking jobs from both ends to be sure its getting done. I think QCing of subs should include, in addition to the usual backcharge, an overall rate reduction for companies that have chronic quality problems.

ok (linseman steps in to stop fight)
Look we shopuldn't be tossing blame around. The installer should have tried to repeak the dish for better signal. However he did what he was ordered to do. .
What? Doing a half assesd job, Then bolt! The customer shouldn't have to know anything. This is the installer profession. Not a hobby! If a customer wants HD ,then its up to D*or E* to do what ever they have too ,to provide the service the customer requested,Plain and simple! If theres a problem with a signal ,then it need to be addressed. If my 70 year old mother wants Satellite installed,do you really think she has any clue about the inner workings of satellite tv. NO! and she shouldn't have to know. Thats why we have TECHs.

I think it boils down to who is getting QC'ed. In areas where QC guys go heavily after inhouse, its the contractors that end up crummy because they don't get caught as quickly. OTOH, if the QC guy is only hitting subs, then inhouse will be awful. Sub or inhouse, there are guys that figure out that they can get away with a lot if no one is watching. Best policy is to be checking jobs from both ends to be sure its getting done. I think QCing of subs should include, in addition to the usual backcharge, an overall rate reduction for companies that have chronic quality problems.
We have an in house QC person. And he takes no rpisoners. If the install isn't spec, the tech will go back and fix it after he is shown photos. If the tech isn't available to return ,he gets a chargeback and someone else fixes it.
I have a strenuous objection to beckcharges, going back to jobs on my dime and most importantly, crappy work. So I do my stuff by the book. Neat, clean and with pride.

What? Doing a half assesd job, Then bolt! The customer shouldn't have to know anything. This is the installer profession. Not a hobby! If a customer wants HD ,then its up to D*or E* to do what ever they have too ,to provide the service the customer requested,Plain and simple! If theres a problem with a signal ,then it need to be addressed. If my 70 year old mother wants Satellite installed,do you really think she has any clue about the inner workings of satellite tv. NO! and she shouldn't have to know. Thats why we have TECHs.
who said anything about a half assed job?
The customer shouldn't have to know anything? Does that include knowing what it is they spent their money on?

The customer shouldn't have to know anything? Does that include knowing what it is they spent their money on?

What he ment was that the mentality of alot of installers of keeping the customer in the dark ( IE not telling them what a good signal is, what will happen if he/she puts the dish behind that bush like the customer wants ect ect ). We all know what issues are rampant within the installation part of this industry and those of us who have installed or are still installing know where the root causes for its decline lay at but that still doesnt excuse an installer from being responsible and retuning a dish to get the highest signal possible and if he cant then sets up an inhouse trouble call through his office to come back out within a day or two to get the low signal issue fixed and leave the customer with a properly working system.

No apology? I think you are worng...The OP made a general statement painting a certain worker status with a broad brush. That in and of itself is gounds for at least a "let me rephrase"...
You may think that and your welcome to it but on the other hand there are alot more threads on here by customers voicing their angst and anger over shotty work done by contractors. I dont like it anymore than you do becuase some of the best work that I've seen has been done by the very small few quality contractors who would actually take the time to do a 1 and 2 in three and a half hours. Whats unfortunate though is that there are to many guys out there that will do a two room in 45 minutes and repeat this all day every day who are the majority in this industry. There are more than enough bad inhouse techs to wich is also a sad situation and it doesnt help that the head of Dish network has made it even more of a bad situation and is creating a mcdonalds workforce.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts