Indianapolis OTA questions

GB33

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 15, 2006
Indianapolis
I am FINALLY getting an HR10-250. Currently to view HD I switch from DTV to my sets built in tuner. But my set is "ancient" in HD terms and the built in tuner is actually DTV's first HD box built into set. So needless to say I am hoping for an improvement over my current constant breakups and blackouts.
I prefer attic mount, for cosmetic reasons only aswell as accesibility. Currently have the radio shack double bowtie that I read so much about. All in all for it's size and my tuners capabilities, and being in the attic it really does pretty well. So I will not panic until the 10-250 is in tomorrow and I can test it out.
But does anyone else have experience with either this antenna or the 10-250 in the Indy area? If so how are things. Also slightly interested in stealthtenna, which I would mount on dish mast. My zip 92 46256 and am just about 10 miles from most all antennas I want. CBS is unfortunately VHF and can be ticky though it is in same area as others. WB however has been a lost cause at 20 miles away in the total opposite direction.

Thanks

If your CBS digital station is on channel 9 then you might want to use a CM4221. Great UHF antenna, pretty good on hi-vhf also (channel 7 and up). I am 40 miles from the transmitters in Dallas, otherwise very similar transmitter scenario to yours, WFAA is channel 8-1 transmitting on channel 9 and I have the CM4221 in my attic.....get every DFW digital station including WFAA. No preamp needed either.
The CM4221 also I believe has pretty good reception for stations 180 degrees away from its pointing direction so may get WB. I haven't checked antennaweb to see what type of antenna it recommends for WB. Also WB may not be at full power yet....

Thanks. They goofed and I unfortunately got HR20 so I cannot test this for a while anyways. But I have been interested in the 4221 and 4228.

When I input your zip code at antennaweb.org I got this list of digital stations:

* yellow - uhf WTBU-DT 44 PBS INDIANAPOLIS IN TBD 266° 9.9 44
* yellow - uhf WTHR-DT 13.1 NBC INDIANAPOLIS IN 283° 8.9 46
* yellow - uhf WRTV-DT 6.1 ABC INDIANAPOLIS IN 270° 9.8 25
* yellow - uhf WFYI-DT 20.1 PBS INDIANAPOLIS IN 270° 9.8 21
* yellow - uhf WXIN-DT 59.1 FOX INDIANAPOLIS IN 266° 9.9 45
* yellow - vhf WISH-DT 8.1 CBS INDIANAPOLIS IN 267° 10.1 9
* yellow - uhf WHMB-DT 40.1 IND INDIANAPOLIS IN 16° 7.7 16
* yellow - uhf WNDY-DT 23.1 MNT MARION IN 17° 17.3 32
* red - uhf WIPB-DT 49.1 PBS MUNCIE IN 71° 35.4 52
* red - uhf WIPX-DT 63.1 i BLOOMINGTON IN 194° 35.4 27
* blue - uhf WCLJ-DT 56.1 TBN BLOOMINGTON IN 195° 35.5 56
* blue - uhf WTTV-DT 29.1 CW BLOOMINGTON IN 195° 35.2 48
* blue - uhf WTTK-DT 29.1 WB KOKOMO IN 9° 30.0 54
* violet - vhf WLFI-DT 18.1 CBS LAFAYETTE IN 320° 45.9 11

At 10 miles depending on your particular situation even an indoor antenna might be OK. You could try the Terk HDTVi which is a clone of the Silver Sensor with added "rabbit ears" for VHF, to see if you can get CBS. Otherwise almost any outside antenna with decent vhf performance should work, although obviously some are better than others, but at 10 miles you shouldn't need anything expensive. You could use one of the "modern" design antennas - the Stealthtenna included - but some of them are pretty poor performers for the price.

Or as you say you could use an antenna in the attic (as I do). Attic mount can lose 40-50% of the signal in worst case. The CM4221 and CM4228 are both UHF antennas but the 4228 has good performance on hi-band VHF for your CBS station, the 4221 doesn't. Even in the attic the 4228 should give you a great signal, don't be tempted into using an amplifier, you could easily overload your receiver.

I'm not sure about WB. When you put in your actual address at antennaweb what are the directions of the main group (ABC, CBS etc) and the WB station??

GB33,

I live in the Fishers area (46037) and I just use a Terk TV42 (bought it at Fry's) mounted on my dish. Below is the wrap-up from another post, where I describe my setup:

Today I installed a PicoMacon PS10 "Power Inserter..." and now I am receiving all of the digital channels available in my area (according to AntennaWeb.org, 46037). The one station in Muncie (31.8 miles away) has signals in the mid 70's. The rest of the stations (all less than 14 miles away) are at least 88 or higher.

Here's the setup, in case anybody else makes the "mistake" of buying a Terk antenna:

1) The antenna is mounted on the top edge of the dish, which is on top of my two story home.
2) RG6 from one of the OUTPUTS of the antenna (the satellite does not run through the antenna at all) to the TV/SAT side of a diplexer
3) RG6 from TV side of the diplexer to Antenna input on the Vip 622
4) RG6 from the "To Amplifier" side of the PS10 to the SAT side of the diplexer (nothing is connected to the "To TV" side of the PS10)

TERK antenna

I actually did same "mistake" by getting Terk TV42 antenna .

Can you please to describe your setup more in details.
I believe you mention two diplexers (indoor and outdoor) but it
is difficult to understand which one you use in your steps 2,3,4.

Any other advices ?

Thank you.