Indoor install of slimline?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

PaulieORF

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 19, 2005
Southington, CT
So I've exahausted all options, and my homeowners assocaition will not let me install a dish either on the roof, anywhere on the building, or on my balcony beacuse the dish will hang over.

Examining the direction in which my dish would be facing, I may have a clear shot at the proper direction through my sliding glass door. Has anyone here had any luck getting a signal through a typical sliding glass door with a slimline dish? I don't know the exact composition of my sliding glass door. I plan on grabbing an old round DirecTV dish and receiver from my parents house just to see if I can get a signal on that as a starting point.

Thanks.

Homeowners associations.. ah suburban lunacy. I really dislike pretentious people.

Even if I am unable to get a signal with the round dish, I intend to leave it right in front of the sliding glass door, shades wide open, in hopes that someone actually tries to complain about the ugliness of it. They can't do anything about what I have in my condo, and I'll just be like "all I wanted do to was put it on the roof where noone would see it, but the HOA wouldn't allow it, so you now you have to live with looking at this." :)

I think there is a new law that says hoa can't say anything about the new smaller dish.

I think there is a new law that says hoa can't say anything about the new smaller dish.

I've read through all of the FCC laws, and there are none that help me. The laws do not apply to common property, like the roof or side of the building. As far as my balcony goes, the dish would be hanging over common property which the rule specifically states it cannot protect me against, so it's up the HOA's discretion, and their verdict is no way Jose. I should get a freakin C-Band dish and put that facing out my window, see how they like them apples!!!

check on dish networks site for the dish size and new laws,i found it there.

I know of people installing them inside a screened porch so it should work.

I've read through all of the FCC laws, and there are none that help me. The laws do not apply to common property, like the roof or side of the building. As far as my balcony goes, the dish would be hanging over common property which the rule specifically states it cannot protect me against, so it's up the HOA's discretion, and their verdict is no way Jose. I should get a freakin C-Band dish and put that facing out my window, see how they like them apples!!!

Wow I think that is the first time I have LOL from reading something on this forum in my short stint here. That would be hilarious to see neighbor's reactions with a C-Band dish there!

I can't stand HOA's either. I live in a Townhouse which at least gives me a small backyard to do a pole mount.

A few months ago, someone actually did an attic install pointing out a window. I think the composition was mostly plastic. It's worth a shot at the least. Good luck!

I saw the pictures of that install... (or maybe it was a different one). But anyway, it was a clean install and the signal levels were in the mid to upper 70's. I think that was a post from last summer or fall though. Might be hard to dig it up.

I thought homewners associations could not make rules against dishes legally since they are federally controlled.

I guess I don't understand why you can't put it on the balcony. Is there a balcony above yours that would interfere w/ the signal?

I mounted an 18" dish in my kitchen to look out a 16.5" x 48" casement window cranked wide open. Clamped to an upended wooden fruit crate. I scribed appropriate aiming marks including a leveling bubble on the dish mount to quickly realign the dish when I moved it, deliberately or inadvertently. :) I had a custom 2/32" thick Lexan sheet cut to fill the window opening. 12.5 GHz "sees" thru Lexan. Doesn't through window glass. Lead in glass I think.

Lexan at 18 GHZ I can not say.

So I've exahausted all options, and my homeowners assocaition will not let me install a dish either on the roof, anywhere on the building, or on my balcony beacuse the dish will hang over.

Examining the direction in which my dish would be facing, I may have a clear shot at the proper direction through my sliding glass door. Has anyone here had any luck getting a signal through a typical sliding glass door with a slimline dish? I don't know the exact composition of my sliding glass door. I plan on grabbing an old round DirecTV dish and receiver from my parents house just to see if I can get a signal on that as a starting point.

Thanks.

You can get a tripod and re-enforce it.
They should be able let you do that.
Most homeowners associations here in Reno let people do that since the Dish is not hanging over any parts of the rail/building.

Know it will work!

Go to dishpointer.com.........enter your address with zip. View the line they give. IF you have a line from your window it will give you LOS..Line Of Sight IF it is clear glass. Various fogged, tinted or screened glasses will not work. The Ka/Ku dish is large.......you may have to settle for SD only (round dish) and a table in your living room to mount the mast.

Joe

I have a solar heated workshop (the south wall is 1/2 inch plate glass) and on many occasions I set up my camping dish to 110 or 119 to watch a sporting event while I work.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll be stopping by my parents house tomorrow to pick up my old 18" round and hopefully dig up an old DirecTV receiver. If I'm able to get a good signal through my glass, then I'll have to think about diong the slimline. If it were to be permanent I'd probably go with a tripid of sorts. As far as ordering goes, if I went through DirecTV's website (this is all theoretical of course), since they require professional installation, would I have luck getting my installer to install it inside, or do they have something against that? I'd like to order from the website because you get a sweet deal on the HD DVR, and the dish is free. Otherwise I'd have to pay for both.

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll be stopping by my parents house tomorrow to pick up my old 18" round and hopefully dig up an old DirecTV receiver. If I'm able to get a good signal through my glass, then I'll have to think about diong the slimline. If it were to be permanent I'd probably go with a tripid of sorts. As far as ordering goes, if I went through DirecTV's website (this is all theoretical of course), since they require professional installation, would I have luck getting my installer to install it inside, or do they have something against that? I'd like to order from the website because you get a sweet deal on the HD DVR, and the dish is free. Otherwise I'd have to pay for both.

Unfortunately, no installer is going to do this type of install for a couple of reasons.

First of all, they don't want any issues with the HOA, and would require written permission to start work.

Secondly, they will not do an indoor install because of the 90 day warranty issue. If you move the dish because you vacuumed the floor, the installer would have to come back out and realign it for no pay. The same thing applies if you get less than acceptable signal.

Something to consider with pointing the dish through the window is the arc that you will have to take out of the sky to get all of the sats. At a bare minimum, you will need 20 degrees east-west from the dish reflector. Since the dish points at the 101, you will need a couple of degrees to the east and 18 degrees to the west. Given this, you may or may not be able to pull in all 5 orbital slots going through the window. This is the third reason an installer won't do this type of job.

Sorry.

Unfortunately, no installer is going to do this type of install for a couple of reasons.

First of all, they don't want any issues with the HOA, and would require written permission to start work.

Secondly, they will not do an indoor install because of the 90 day warranty issue. If you move the dish because you vacuumed the floor, the installer would have to come back out and realign it for no pay. The same thing applies if you get less than acceptable signal.

Something to consider with pointing the dish through the window is the arc that you will have to take out of the sky to get all of the sats. At a bare minimum, you will need 20 degrees east-west from the dish reflector. Since the dish points at the 101, you will need a couple of degrees to the east and 18 degrees to the west. Given this, you may or may not be able to pull in all 5 orbital slots going through the window. This is the third reason an installer won't do this type of job.

Sorry.

Thanks for the response, I didn't think they'd do this sort of install.

It looks like if I want to do this, I'm giong to have to purchase my dish and receivers elsewhere, a place with a return policy of course, in case I am unable to get my 99 and 103 satellites. But I'm getting ahead of myself, I'll need to try and get signal with my round dish from 101 tonight, and take it from there.

Here is the link to the thread on these boards of a successful attic slimline install.

It is a very well done job if you ask me!

attachment.php

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv...sful-directv-slimline-attic-installation.html

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)