Please reply by conversation.

alongiron

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Sep 21, 2007
Indianapolis
News
DIRECTV to Add Smithsonian HD
But will the satcaster offer the channel this week with its HD rollout?
By Swanni

Washington, D.C. (September 24, 2007) -- DIRECTV has agreed to carry the new Smithsonian HD channel, perhaps as early as Wednesday.

That's according to an article by the Associated Press.

DIRECTV is scheduled to begin its much-anticipated HD expansion this month, going from 10 high-def channels to 70 in October.

However, the satcaster's initial rollout of HD channels was delayed last week due to technical glitches.

The Associated Press reports that DIRECTV will begin airing Smithsonian HD on Wednesday, the date that some DIRECTV customer service officials are giving as the new launch date for DIRECTV's initial HD rollout.

Smithsonian HD, a joint project from Showtime Network and the Smithsonian Institute, is expected to be carried on DIRECTV's channel 267.

Broadcasting & Cable reports that the channel will begin with roughly 75 hours of programming and will likely expand to 100 hours by year's end. The channel will feature documentaries often based on exhibits at the Smithsonian Institure.

Tom Hayden, Smithsonian Networks' general manager, told B&C that it's still pursuing carriage deals with other TV providers.

Swanni is a douche bag!!! He banned my ip address from his site because of comments I was saying about him!!! HA!

I get his daily e-mails and most are old info we already read about here or the other site anyway. Other info is still relevant to me as I don't frequent on a daily basis or is info regarding dish network or cable adds etc.

Not much originality though when using info that has been posted. Back in February a local channel went HD for news. I e-mailed him letting him know that a certain station had gone HD for news and the next day was in his daily e-mail. LOL.

In todays (Sept 24) Washington Post, page C 1, there is an article about the Smithsonian channel and its launch this Wednesday on Directv as an HD channel. The article goes into detail about the problems of the lanch and its relationship with Showtime. Could Wednesday be the day? I hope so!

SHOW should focus more on bringing their other channels up in HD instead of Smithsonian. I'm sure that with Discovery, History, Equator and National Geographic we will wind up seeing the same programming spread around to each of these channels repeating over and over instead of new and original programming. But, then I guess they will have another avenue to interject pop ups for WEEDS and DEXTER and The TUDORS during programming.

Smithsonian doesn't even have an SD channel. Are they really ready to roll out HD? Also, I left Direct TV because of constant promises of HD which they either never fulfilled or finally did years after the promise. Ho hum.

Smithsonian doesn't even have an SD channel. Are they really ready to roll out HD? Also, I left Direct TV because of constant promises of HD which they either never fulfilled or finally did years after the promise. Ho hum.

then why comment we who subscribe to or are thinking of are enjoying the channel in "HD" so suck on that

Technically correct. Years ago, they promised to have new HD this year.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)