Initial Testing Of Norsat C-Band LNB 3420

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Today I just got my 2nd Linkbox 9000i receiver to try on my Ku Dish. According to the serial number this reciever is just a bit newer than the other Linkbox I bought. At first, the HDMI connection was not working at all with the Linkbox, not even after checking over my connections and input settings. I finally connected the Red, Green, Blue RCA cables to get a picture for the main screen. I did the Main Code Update over the Ethernet connection and made sure the video settings were set correctly on the receiver after reboot.

I noticed that the screen still twitched a little bit while the receiver video setting was on 1080i-30, but stopped when I set it to 1080p-60. I then tried to switch over to the HDMI Input and there was still no picture. I turned off the receiver and TV for a bit and turned them both back on. I still did not get a picture with the HDMI cable until after I unplugged the HDMI cable and plugged it back in one more time; an HD picture finally emerged! I did a test blind scan with 99W C-Band, and I still noticed the picture twitching a little on Shepherd's Chapple, but not quite as severly bad as the other Linkbox was doing; even while the resolution was still on 1080p-60 for the reciever.

I have a Vizio M492i-B2, and it's possible that my TV is not quite compatible with the Linkbox 9000i. I had quite a time getting my Vizo to finally accept the HDMI signal from this Linkbox and I still have a bit of a twitchy picture; even after swapping out the HDMI cable for another new one. I have read or heard that not all TV brands are compatible with all video devices. So maybe if I bought a new UHD Vizio TV the twitchy picture might be gone! Lol! :-D Maybe other members on here can tell me if they see a steady picture with their Linkbox 9000i or not with their TV. I still plan to use this 2nd Linkbox for my Ku Band dish to see how it does. :)

Oh!! Wait!!! Nevermind, I just now finally figured out and solved my whole twitchy picture problem!! That's embarrasing!! :-/

I just finally noticed that that when I switched the resolution setting in the receiver from 1080p-60 back to 1080i-30 the twitchy picture went away immediately on Sheppards Chapple. That channel broadcasts on 1080i, and I had the receiver resolution set to 1080p, somehow causing a video mismatch jitter on my Vizio. This is the first FTA receiver I've seen that did this, all the other ones didn't.

I always thought 1080p was the best setting, so I chose that on the Linkbox, not understanding why I kept seeing such a bad twitching jitter on the screen on some channels and not at all on other channels. I guess I will leave the receiver on 1080i resolution, unless I need to change it later for another channel that does 1080p.

Anyway, the picture is steady now, there was nothing wrong with the Linkbox 9000i, I just had the resolution setting set wrong. :-(

Glad to hear that you identified a solution! :)

I don't think that the STB output setting was necessarily wrong, but rather it's the combination that the STB and your TV plays together best. Your are correct that the 1080p output should provide the best image, but somewhere in the deinterlace and resolution conversion by the STB and the display by the TV the process has a hick-up.

It would be interesting if this problem could be replicated with a 9000i on another model of TV. You may have found a bug with the 9000i deinterlace process. I recall discussion a few years back that the output resolution selection on several STB models would remedy video stutter on the NBC feeds.

Personally, I don't like the "by source" setting as a resolution handshake occurs between the STB and the TV each time the channel is changed. This slows down the channel changes and extends the black screen time as the TV changes the input resolution.

Glad to hear that you identified a solution! :)

Personally, I don't like the "by source" setting as a resolution handshake occurs between the STB and the TV each time the channel is changed. This slows down the channel changes and extends the black screen time as the TV changes the input resolution.

I would agree, I usually don't select "By Source" either myself. I always set it to 1080i or 1080p if I can. I only mentioned "By Source" for those who may not quite understand the different resolutions very well and just want a basic quick setting. I mentioned it so perspective buyers know it's an available option, which is nice too. Some people can get quickly impatient with settings and just want to watch a channel. :)

As you mentioned, I would still be interested if other people experience the same video twitch with their TV's with this receiver on different resolution settings. It might just still be my TV or a software bug which happens.

I am very happy and rather impressed with this Linkbox 9000i receiver! It handles both Norsat 3420 LNB'S, splitter, power inserters, and Stab 120 motor very well! :) All of the menu settings and easy layout I need are all there. I can create/change the satellite positions or names without too much trouble. The receiver saves all my new settings without fuss. I still get the maxed out signal bars alot of times, but that might be another software code issue to work out later. The Linkbox has the latest Main Code Update on it. I have not tried the Linkbox 9000i Local receiver, I get all of my local channels with Directv, so I'm good there.

Originally I had somewhat low expectations with a name brand like, "Linkbox". :-/ But as far as I can tell, it's made in Korea and I'm all for trying anything not made in China! :) If the receiver had a cooler name like SatTracker, or Star Scan or even North Star, it might sell better.

Originally I had somewhat low expectations with a name brand like, "Linkbox". :-/ But as far as I can tell, it's made in Korea and I'm all for trying anything not made in China! :) If the receiver had a cooler name like SatTracker, or Star Scan or even North Star, it might sell better.

Well,they used to go by the name PanSat.

EDIT: I had to remove the text because it contained links inside.
Google Pansat vs D___ Network if you want to read the history

<All that was before my time in FTA>

Ok..let's see if this works:
Permanent Injunction Bars FTA Distributor from Trafficking in Satellite Piracy Technology ENGLEWOOD, Colo. — April 12, 2010 — D--- Network and NagraStar L.L.C. secured another significant victory today in their fight against satellite piracy.

On March 30, 2010, the United States District Court for the Central District of California entered a $121,699,800.00 judgment and permanent injunction against Panarex, Inc. and its president Won Tak Kim in a lawsuit accusing Panarex of selling Free-to-Air satellite receivers and other devices used to pirate D--- Network’s programming. The permanent injunction bars Panarex and its officers from trafficking in similar devices in the future and from any further involvement in facilitating D--- Network piracy or unauthorized use of proprietary technology supplied by NagraStar or NagraVision.

Panarex also agreed to forfeit its remaining inventory of the Pansat branded receivers at issue in the litigation (which were manufactured by Global Technologies, Inc. in Korea) as well as ceasing any current or future business dealings with Khachik Bagdasaryan and his company Digital Technology Depot. Bagdasaryan has been sued by D--- Network and NagraStar in a separate suit pending in the same Court for his involvement in the distribution of piracy software files which were used in conjunction with Pansat receivers to gain unauthorized access to D--- Network programming.

Also good to remember the role Pansat played in the early days. Pansat was the first company to import consumer MPEG2 FTA receivers to North America.

The 100a was released in 1998. I remember the first one that I saw at a customer's home. I had no idea how to program it and very little information on Usenet. By a miracle, I got it working as a side car on the guys system. New I had to get one, but it was quite expensive. Well over $500 with shipping.

My favorite analog satellite receiver was the Pansat BR2000. Complete manual audio and video tuning! :D

Last edited:
I'm still testing the performance of these two Norsat 3420 LNB's with my 1.2M dish, this time in severe weather. I will continue to see how these LNB's perform in severe weather this summer.

This afternoon, we've had large thick, kind of dark thunderclouds move over the house, but my signal remained very strong on 58W with no hesitation in the picture; usually the large clouds alone could lose the signal for me. Eventually, we had a large severe thunderstorm move over the house, the radar showing a large red cell. It rained hard with moderate winds for a good 15 minutes, enough to knock out the Directv Satellite signal. Meanwhile, my C-Band dish continued to deliver a very good video and audio signal, it only hesitated 2 or 3 times for no longer than a good second or two; otherwise rather impressed with the continued performance! :)

I can understand why alot of TV and Radio Stations go with these very stable and expensive LNB's! :-D

It depends very much on the FEC ratio of the particular broadcast you are watching. I've seen perfect c-band reception on 99W on a 1 meter dish, when QUALITY showed as 0 (zero)! Even without a pll lnb.

Agree completely, Primestar. Years ago , I used to peak FMC on 91 west with a dro lnbf. Two different receivers got the Word network showing zero quality with my Wineguard one metre dish

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts