Instalation help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

hotmnguy18

Original poster
May 30, 2006
I recently purchased directv and I recieved a 5lnb dish and a d11 reciever. The installer told me I could bring the d11 up to my cabin on the weekends, and plug it into another satellite and it would work just fine. Well I purchases and old dish. I think it was the first kind that came out. I couldn't find any signal at all. I had it right next to my neghbors one so I think I was pretty close on the signal. Does the D11 need a 5lnb dish? Do those cheap signal finders work? Or is it not possible to transport a reciever?? Thanks Jimmy

The D11 should support any of D* dishes, the one you say you have for it (the non-5lnb one), sounds like the dual LNB (a round dish/single LNB), it is possible the LNB on that old dish is defective, or you could be missing the 101 satellite, could be your coax, and yes, a cheap meter will be fine to find the 101.

You use the D11 setup to get your azimuth/latitude of the 101 (where you want the dish to point to) by entering the zip code the dish will reside in, the numbers it gives you are guidelines to get you started, they are not exact, you will have to make small adjustments until you get the strongest signal you can.

Also, when you transport the D11 to and from the cabin, you will have to re-run the setup, so it sees the dual lnb/round as a dual/lnb round, as it will be expecting the 5lnb (and the reverse when it's time to move it back), you'll have to do this each time you move it.

Going off your neighbors dish won't be much help, since even by being off by just 1/8 an inch on the ground, it really ends up being off 100+s of miles in space.

And the most important thing, is that the pole the dish is mounted to must be 100% plumb, if it's not, you'll never get a good peak.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts